Indiana > Ice Fishing Indiana

When to throw in the towel…

(1/4) > >>

Lite-Bite:
Not enough experience here to know when ice isnt even worth the drive to inspect.

In searching i came across this link here on the boards. http://lakeice.squarespace.com/thawed-ice/
Good info for these times we are going through.

I am in between missy and summit. Never been on missy, but I know with the current its not a place I want to go.

Sunday there was 6 inches of ice on summit. Would it be worth checking with a spud tomorrow in hopes of one last go, or will the ice rot this fast with rain and temp’s?   Thanks

coopason:
Good black Ice will last longer.
Depends on how much snow is sitting on the Ice. wind and rain won't help.
forecast looks like light and variable winds.

That's why I asked for Ice and or snowfall reports, I will be out but prefer to see
for myself what the conditions are.
spud spud spud.

Coop

tater140:
The ice formed up hard and fast into good clear consistent ice.  I would still think this week is worth checking out lakes... being careful of course.  If you have the time it's always a good exercise to go check.  I have surprised myself more then once going out early or late ice what I have found when I drove to the lake and starting checking it out.  The farther north your willing to drive the better the odds of finding good ice. 

bigr:
Air temps aren't near as hard on ice as Wind and water and even worse when there's wind water and bright sunshine. That sun eats away shore ice fast. So far we haven't had the wind or a lot of rain. Temps are just above freezing. With a blanket of snow soaking the moisture you shouldn't have issue tomorrow. When all this wetness finally does penetrate to the ice then it can deteriorate fast. I'm hoping it makes it thru the weekend. Temps aren't coming down much over the next few days and there's a chance of rain so we'll see. At least no wind is predicted.

Lite-Bite:
Thanks guys. Good luck if you get back out. Stay safe!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version