Indiana > Ice Fishing Indiana

valpo lakes

<< < (2/3) > >>

tschneid:

--- Quote from: fishersofmen on Feb 26, 2022, 05:27 PM ---depends on y0ur philosophy of life......i decided long ago not to tiptoe thru life only to arrive safely at death......so each has his own standard of safety but when a buddy goes out to 430 foot of water and the ice is still 12" thick, i guess somebody can still be worried they may not come home but that just how ive lived my life

--- End quote ---
I'm really happy you found your path through life but this post is exactly why people say no ice is safe. Your original post said you went to 4 lakes but then you knew someone who was out yesterday. I was on a valpo lake today and never found 12" of ice. One week ago I went through up to my knees on this same lake. Main lake was great but shore can change quickly this time of year. Wasn't a big issue getting the boots wet but could still mess up a knee or back.

R.S.:
let's not forget the gravel pit thread that led to a couple deaths, if i remember correctly.  safe ice is the ice you just walked off of safely. lol  all other ice is suspect. 

hounds:
Well said R.S.  Things are going to start getting really sketchy on some of the shallow lakes, and the shallow parts of all lakes.  Take a throw rope, picks, spud, and a Whistle.  You can only yell so long if you go through.

Jeffro:
Everyone has their own standard. I tend to be more on the cautious side. I went through once going after a guy that ventured around the thicker ice. All I know is winter swimming sucks!
Be safe. I've yet to catch the bluegill or crappie worth swimming after. Ok maybe the crappie but...... lol

TeacherPreacher:
For sure!!! I fell in fishing by myself in 1983 in 14' of water! I was in for 1 1/2 hrs and lived to tell about it!! With the grace of God and a 17 year old hero that worked a 12 foot pram out to where I was and pulled me aboard! You don't want to do that!!
Teach

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version