Author Topic: Cheese heads in Alaska  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
Cheese heads in Alaska
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:54 PM »
There is a bar (49er) on the Old Rich down by DRMO that has Walleye and brats everyday ;D. The owner is from Wisconsin and has a recipe for brats that he makes. I might make this a once a week stop for me. The bar don't look to great on the outside but once you walk in you would think you were back home. If that aint enough, he has PBR on tap :thumbsup:.

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cheese heads in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Sounds like my kind of place!  I am getting back into the PBR for sure.  If he had Leinies on tap, I would drive there tonight!!  Thanks for the tip.

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2006, 01:02 PM »
I guess you would have to take his word for it. He does make his own brats (mixing, stuffin in the casein), he has cheese curds and pastys. The brats don't taste like no store bought. It would be worth the time to sit down and have a brat and grill him on the specifics on the eye :callcops:.

Offline chef viktor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:58 PM »
PBR I thought that stuff went out with the winning team years of the packers, which was quit a long time ago! If you want a winning beer with a winning team behind it try the Boston Samual Adams! I did not get to fish this weekend but heard that the fishing was slow at flat horn. Chef

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:07 PM »
You know the winning beer is Iron City beer :woot:

Offline GBP04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:42 PM »
You talk about world class things like good beer and brats and a championship franchise like the Packers and someone always tries to bring you down. I think I will have to try the 49er's. Not sure why a guy from Wisconsinn would name his bar that but hey, atleast he's not from Minnesota and finish every sentence with ehhh. Tried to fish a little last weekend with no luck. Birch had high winds. Only one other person was on Harding. I went across from EAFB for a couple of hours though. Atleast it was nice to get out of the house.
I spoke with family back home in LaCrosse this am. Temperatures are cooler but I think any chance of salvaging a Ice Fishing season are over. Well I need to get to work. have a good week. I hope to post some pictures next week as I will be out fishing come He*& or high ...
John 

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:35 PM »
Whoa, Chef.  Samuel Adams is a beer??  I've been sealing my driveway with it. 

Yeah, fishing wasn't great but it was great being out.  We did catch fish but nothing big.  I don't think there is enough water left for big fish to swim in.  Next week we will need and extension for sure.   Bigmick and his partner caught some fish up the slough a ways towards your buddy's cabin. 

As for the Iron City beer comment...I always liked the different cans they came out with.  I never got to try the beer, though.   Who remembers "Old Frothingslosh"?

Offline KP_Alaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • George Lake February '09
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:27 PM »
"Old Frothingslosh" it usually came out around Christmas I think, I remember one year a large woman in a bikini. Nasty beer. 49er Club has been out there since I came to town 30 years ago from New York state. Sounds like it might be worth a stop, gotta love good brats.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:42 PM »
All the 49er bar is missing would be ice cold Blatz on tap!  I'm there Redneck!!!  Lunch will happen soon.  MMMmmmmm Pasties.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline The Common Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Pasties?  Are you a Yooper Barledog?  There are a fair amount of Cheeseheads in the U.P.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2006, 11:25 PM »
No not a Yooper, but 1/2 the relatives come from there and I lived in Gwinn for 2 1/2 years.  Nothing like a hot Red Onion brand pastie in the snow suit to keep you warm!  Makes for a great ice fishing snack. ;D  Really, the UP is Wisconsin!  Can't understand to this day why it's not?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:18 PM »
Hey GBP04,,the reason he may have named his bar that is in the day's of the gold rush, the prospectors were called "49er's". just my .02

HIMO
                                  from Wisconsin
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:33 PM »
49ers were california goldrushers. More likely named because Alaska is the 49th state. The guy was probably proud to be a transplant to this most glorious of states.
See you up the trail.

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2006, 12:08 AM »
He's has a few Viking's things as well as Da Packers hanging around the establishment. I think he has a 49er toy or something too, but I dont think it is named after the SF 49ers.

I could not agree with you more groundsluice_pete, I have been around the world and this is the BEST place in the world.  :thumbsup: Sure beats the heck out of the middle east

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.