Author Topic: Building my Ice shanty  (Read 32072 times)

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Building my Ice shanty
« Reply #60 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:34 PM »
A couple of more to postday then it will be a few days as I cut, fit and finish the trim for the door and take some more pictures.

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:35 PM »

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Sep 21, 2007, 03:36 PM »
  I hope this will help anyone thinking of building their first shanty.

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Sep 24, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Now I am 8)
Andrew

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:52 PM »
  Today I put molding around the door to help seal the air and light leaks. I put two peices of molding on the outside and one on the inside on the hindged side.

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:54 PM »
  I also made vent covers using the extra covering material and velcro.

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Sep 24, 2007, 07:55 PM »
  The other end

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Sep 25, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Here is a picture of the door molding on in the daylight.

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Sep 25, 2007, 12:01 PM »
  I used some Velcro to make a hanger for the fishing rods. I am thinking of having my wife show me how to use the sewing machine. Using some extra canvas sewing together some pouches and putting some Velcro on them. They will make some good storage. My summer fishing vest won't fit over my winter clothes.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:23 PM »
Excellent idea for rod holders!  You are going to have to post some pictures of this shack in action!

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #70 on: Sep 25, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Nice shack man :thumbsup: when do you guys usually get on the ice in Franklin TN??

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:40 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)   I am thinking of having my wife show me how to use the sewing machine. Using some extra canvas sewing together some pouches and putting some Velcro on them.
   You better plan on buying her a new sewing machine then   you use hers  she may not take to kindly on you using her "baby" on some canvas!     but that is some nice looking Fishing shelter     cant call it a shack for sure!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Sep 26, 2007, 08:59 AM »
 WE don't get Ice in Franklin Tennessee. I am orginally from southeast Michigan and go home a few times in the winter months just to go Ice fishing with a life long friend of mine. I plan to take the shanty to Michigan as soon as there is thick enough to support it and let my friend use it when I am not there. I hope to make it up to Michigan at least every other weekend this winter to use the shanty myself.

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Oct 13, 2007, 11:52 AM »
Bring on the ice

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #74 on: Oct 13, 2007, 06:41 PM »
Looks great.As long as the sun is shining you wont need a heater. Get ahold of some "nail pouch"
 aprons the carpenters use,they make good holders and you can just staple them to the wall.

Offline vermonner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take me to your icefishing leader
« Reply #75 on: Oct 13, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Absolutely great, man.  Hope you enjoy it.  Made one similar last year and was easily heated with a dyna glo

The employment of effort, hard work, time, and energy put in locating fish will offend noone.

Offline KJB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Oct 14, 2007, 07:43 PM »
 :thumbsup:looks awesome, enjoy!!
kjb

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Oct 15, 2007, 06:59 AM »
Hey Wally Gator
Nice job on the shack. Just and idea for the runners, if you can hook up with someone that can get you some Lexon,(looks like plexy glass only alot stronger) it makes great runners. I got mine cut in 3.5" strips, and then had a guy with a sheet metal brake bend them so that it would just fit over the edge of the 2x4. You have to notch the ends so you can fit it around the curves on the ski's, and then use small screws to hold it all on. The first time I used it, I had to walk down a slope to get on the lake, and the darn shack just about ran over me lol, so then I put a rope on the back and let it go down first. This Lexon stuff will bend just like steel will without breaking. Just a thought. Good Luck in the upcoming ice season
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:46 AM »
You have done a great job on the shack. Hope you enjoy it. bear

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Oct 15, 2007, 09:50 AM »
Wally, where do you go ice fishing? I don't imagine it's in TN. Very nice work on the shanty aka "bobhouse".
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Oct 16, 2007, 12:38 AM »
Looks great.As long as the sun is shining you wont need a heater. Get ahold of some "nail pouch"
 aprons the carpenters use,they make good holders and you can just staple them to the wall.

Great idea on the nail pouches.  :tipup:  I might have to use that idea. That's what I love about the shanty.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline salmon-egg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Oct 16, 2007, 05:37 AM »
nice looking shanty.  :clap: :thumbsup: :tipup: :tipup:
come on ICE
<br /><br /><br />

Offline dabprod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Oct 22, 2007, 04:26 PM »
   Hay, Nice job, You'l get lots of enjoyment out of that. Good luck!!!
HARD WATER IS COOL !!!!!

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Oct 26, 2007, 09:38 PM »
Wally, where do you go ice fishing? I don't imagine it's in TN. Very nice work on the shanty aka "bobhouse".
No I am orginally from southeast Michigan. I go home to MIchigan a few times in the winter just to go Ice Fishing. Usually on sand lake or Devils lake out near Irish Hills Michigan

Offline tipup57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Oct 26, 2007, 11:46 PM »
Nice Shanty! and as for the wood runners you can buy nylon strips a 1/4" X however wide thy are and screw them on, this is what thy use on dog sleds and works very well. good luck.

Offline adirondackrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Nov 01, 2007, 06:51 PM »
WAY TO GO !!! AWESOME JOB,YOU ARE READY TO ROCK! :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:
[IMG]

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:56 PM »
WEll just waiting on the ice now. Been watching the weather channel.  I seea cold blast of air did go through southeast lower Michigan last week. I just hope they have Ice up there before feb. first this year.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #87 on: Nov 11, 2007, 10:43 PM »
That looks great. I'm in the prosess of building a new shanty with the tub from an old pop up camper. Just one question is the roof gonna be able to hold snow without sagging to much?
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Wally Gator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Nov 13, 2007, 09:42 PM »
what I had to do was put some scrap wood right under the seam in the middle on top of the fence polls inside to hold it up. I have left it open durring the rain and it did sag and fill up with water before I put the wood under the center. I am hoping to use it more as a portable.but if snow does build up, it should only sag about an inch and a half. but as of right now I do not plan to leave it out on the ice over any length of time, unless there is no smow storms in the foracast.  I am thinking of making something out of pvc pipe to set on top of the fence polls and bubgie cord  down. holding the roof up so it will not sag. I know I should have have made the top a radious but I thought by making it the way I did the flashing would be easier to make. as you can see I have flashing on to top and the sides. for a round top I wouwld have had to cut another round piece of plywood for the top inside of each end and used a thinner flashing so it would bend around the curve easier. and I was afraid that nailing into the side end of the plywood might split it. so this would make it more strudy.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Nov 14, 2007, 09:21 PM »
Nice shanty, Wally Gator.

I have a 4' x 8' fold-down shanty somewhat similar to yours, but have eliminated the sag completely. After setting up my shanty I attach a flexible rod (rebar, 3/8" diameter I believe) diagonally from one corner to the opposite corner, firmly supporting the entire 'roof' (tarp). The ends of the rod are mounted in 1/2" (counter-sunk) holes drilled near the ends of each wooden brace-pole. Not only does this eliminate snow and water 'pooling', it really makes the entire shanty much more 'solid' and less susceptible to wind 'flapping'. You might be able to fashion a similar concept.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.