The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ice auger covers and safety  (Read 1508 times)

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice auger covers and safety
« on: Mar 07, 2018, 04:30 PM »
My buddy recently cut his hand while removing his red plastic cover from his Swede bore auger. Taking that dinky little guard off and on is a bit of a hazard as your hand comes quite close to the blades. I stole an idea I saw somewhere and replaced mine with a small plastic pail held in place by a bungee wrapped around the shaft above the 'helix'.

I just thought others might find this idea useful-----it's so easily done. 
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice auger covers and safety
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2018, 06:17 PM »
That sucks, cuts are always bad in my book. I usually just unsnap one side of the knoby rubber thing (Lazer and mora) and let the whole thing just fall off. Buckets/pails are way too bulky, IMO, but whatever keeps ya safe....use it. I tend to be a minimalistic angler and pails take up too much space for me. StrikeMaster (I think) has a guard that’s suppose to come off with using your foot and snap back on just by placing the auger head in it. I haven’t heard much good news about them though.

Using traditional style blade covers actually keeps myself reminded that those blades are always sharp and to treat them with respect. It seems like I have more focus putting the blade cover back on than I do the entire day of fishing lol.

I hope it works out for you and your buddy isn’t too badly injured.  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Ice Scratcher had a good thread on here about building a cover for a Mora out of PVC. If the.post image link worked, below is one I built a couple weeks ago after a close call with me and with my kid.

Very secure, like it a lot, I had most of the materials lying around so it cost about $5.

Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2018, 11:43 AM »
Love the cover for my K Drill. Simple to put on and take off, and hands don't get anywhere near the blades.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Same concept as a bucket and bungee

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2018, 07:43 PM »
. Buckets/pails are way too bulky, IMO,

Not so bulky!!

Keep yer stick on the ice!