Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: When Will We Walk on Water?  (Read 6788 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: When Will We Walk on Water?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Prolly after the first of the year. Oh well, guess I will have to go north.....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 15, 2018, 11:11 PM »

I hate to say it, but got out for the first time today....life's been bizzy....I'd say There was at least 8-10in.

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
When will we get fishable ice?
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:47 PM »
With forecasts of above 40 degrees for 8 days and couple of the days to hit 50,   are we going to have ice fishing before Feb 1? 
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: When will we get fishable ice?
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:33 PM »
With forecasts of above 40 degrees for 8 days and couple of the days to hit 50,   are we going to have ice fishing before Feb 1?

Im seriously starting to doubt we will even get on the ice on the bigger water around the QC. Mostly skim and open water then 15 days of above freezing highs coming up
EYECONICFISHING

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:46 PM »
I don't put much stock in weather forecasts once they get beyond a week out; they are little more than guesses.

But based on those longer-range forecasts, the earliest we will be on the ice in east central Iowa would be three weeks from now.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:00 AM »
I drove by a "borrow pit" along HWY 218/27 yesterday (Jan 2) just south of HWY 3  (think Waverly IA)  open water over 1/4 of it.  Yet 20 miles south guys are on a few ponds but other ponds are unsafe.  Personally, at this point in time, I would want to be some where north of HWY 18 to feel completely safe on a lake I didn't know well.  YMMV
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:51 PM »
I think you will start to see some boats on the water soon, anchor tight and flasher over the side

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:07 AM »
Unless we get a bunch of snow early next week, there should be plenty of good ice pretty much everywhere in Iowa very soon.  ;D

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2019, 11:15 AM »
As funky as the weather has been this year, this could be one of the longest ice seasons ever at Okoboji. They've been icefishing since early November.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2019, 04:43 PM »
As funky as the weather has been this year, this could be one of the longest ice seasons ever at Okoboji. They've been icefishing since early November.

First day ice fishing for me was 11/13 and could have gone every day since. 1st time ever this early for me, must be that global warming. Some of the perks living in N.W. Iowa. Hopefully it doesn't last like last ice season, late April.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:40 AM »
I think it is safe to say pretty much anywhere in Iowa will have good ice by this coming weekend, unless you have a lot of current, geese, or a warm-water discharge in the immediate vicinity.

Offline RGR175

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:56 AM »
I think it is safe to say pretty much anywhere in Iowa will have good ice by this coming weekend, unless you have a lot of current, geese, or a warm-water discharge in the immediate vicinity.

Might warm up to the 40's this weekend! Should be a great weekend to get out on the ice. Saturday and Sunday will be my first days out on the ice this year. What a swing. It's going to hit -30 tomorrow and we will be in the 40's on Saturday.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:25 PM »
I was out on backwaters last weekend and will be out again this weekend

Catchin' Fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.