Author Topic: Under buddy heater in flip shack  (Read 2582 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Under buddy heater in flip shack
« on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:20 PM »
What is everyone using to put under there buddy heater in a flip shack? Meaning, under the heater but on top of the ice. Something that is light, doesn’t absorb water, and can reflect/deflect some of the heat.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Under buddy heater in flip shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2021, 10:22 PM »
I put it in the sled behind me. Seems to stay warmer and not melt the ice creating water on top of the ice
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:17 AM »
I've been using a small grill basket like this flipped upside down for several years to put my heaters on. Works great, and they're about $3 at Walmart.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2021, 05:34 AM »
I put it in the sled behind me. Seems to stay warmer and not melt the ice creating water on top of the ice

Yep that is the way to go ...I mounted mine in the front of the tub of my two man ..mounted my buddys behind his seat in his one man ...I had to add a cross brace to accomplish that

if that not good for you ..get the heater up off the ice ..milk crate .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2021, 06:26 AM »
I use a piece of Reflectix insulation.  Prefer to keep my heater in front near a door where I can keep an eye on it - have a friend who had his catch fire and had to kick it outside.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2021, 06:34 AM »
I put mine right on the ice, but I don't run mine a lot. I just use mine to take the chill off from time to time and to heat up a meal.
If the fish are biting pretty well I may not use it at all!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:21 AM »
Milk crate. Doesn't everybody?  ;) Or a square of reflextic styro.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline jr50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:27 AM »
I use a milk crate as well.  I don’t get the water pooling in front of the heater any more since I started using one. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Yep i store my heater and green bombs in a milk crate and set it up on one.my bud worked at a farm where milk and yogurt would get dropped off to feed the calves and pigs.i ended up with a ton of milk crates.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Milk crate. Doesn't everybody?  ;) Or a square of reflextic styro.

I'm a minimalist.  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Yep i store my heater and green bombs in a milk crate and set it up on one.my bud worked at a farm where milk and yogurt would get dropped off to feed the calves and pigs.i ended up with a ton of milk crates.

If ya spray painted 'em with an eye-catchy design or color, and marketed 'em as "Buddy Heater Stands", you'd
have the ice-fishing money spenders for bling gadgets tossin' cash at ya hand over fist.  ;)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I had a garage sale a few years back and no kidding i sold 30 of them at 3$ a piece.they are great stackable storage units.ive got 15 of them full of apple wood chunks sitting in my old dodge pickup bed waiting to see if we are moving to the farm.family disputes so far over that.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:10 AM »
Milk crate. Pack the stuff out in it turn it over use it for the heater get done pack the stuff back out!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Love the small piece of reflectix idea!  Usually only bring one bucket and put vexilar on that (no milk crate).  Will see about incorporating a milk crate...but trying to cut down on stuff I bring out. 

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2021, 10:48 AM »
For my longer trips I have a baking sheet with a piece of reflectix on it to redirect heat away from the ice.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:05 AM »
For my longer trips I have a baking sheet with a piece of reflectix on it to redirect heat away from the ice.

I just purchased a Big Buddy ..and a Mr Heater Bag ..the cookie sheet fits in the bottom of the bag EZPZ . I like that reflectix as well . I may use a Dollar store windshield sun shield as I have one lying around.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Love the small piece of reflectix idea!  Usually only bring one buck and put vexilar on that (no milk crate).  Will see about incorporating a milk crate...but trying to cut down on stuff I bring out.

Half the stuff can be carried in the milk crate.... ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:13 AM »
I just set mine on a 3700 box most of the time, about the same size foot print and I'm bringing a couple of them for tackle even if I don't bring the heater so no extra to carry...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2021, 11:38 AM »
I did the modification to hang the heater in my sled like Dave Genz showed us.  After awhile, I really didn't like this idea.  I was always worried about the fabric getting too close to the heater and melting it.  I started putting the heater on the ice and set up on a milkcrate.  This works the best - gets it up off the ice and moves the heater closer to me when I need it.  I try to keep the heater off more than on, so its cool/comfortable in the flipover.

The milkcrate I use is the Rigid tool crate - its a little longer than a regular one.  This allows me to put more things in the crate when traveling, and allows me to also set my flasher and heater on the same level. 

If you don't want to use the crate - I have seen guys use a food tray, but I like the idea of setting it on the reflectix material. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:27 PM »

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:30 PM »

Only prob with that is the puddled up water from it.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2021, 12:32 PM »
That's what I use, but flipped over so it is elevated off the ice a bit. Keeps the melting to a minimum.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2021, 01:23 PM »
baking tray, plastic tray, cutting board, anything that ice don't stick too.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2021, 10:43 PM »
I was thinking about putting it right on top of the foam mats I am using for the floor.  Now I am thinking that might be a rookie mistake based on the fact no one else mentioned it. 

Offline Walks on Water

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2021, 10:07 AM »
I was thinking about putting it right on top of the foam mats I am using for the floor.  Now I am thinking that might be a rookie mistake based on the fact no one else mentioned it.

I've been doing that for years. There is no danger of burning or melting the mats from this. Buddy Heaters are approved for indoor use in some places, you can put them on your kitchen floor without issue. Don't confuse the heater melting ice with it melting anything else beneath it.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:15 AM »
I just use a small piece of 1/2" plywood.

Offline 79rac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:20 PM »
I've been doing that for years. There is no danger of burning or melting the mats from this. Buddy Heaters are approved for indoor use in some places, you can put them on your kitchen floor without issue. Don't confuse the heater melting ice with it melting anything else beneath it.

That is what I though, but thanks for the affirmation. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I usually just put it on the ice. Tend to move some so it never gets too sloppy. When I do an overnight or I plan to stay in one place I'll put it on a milk crate.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.