Author Topic: A Perch Recipe for Everyone  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Crazy Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
A Perch Recipe for Everyone
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:06 AM »
Old school and GOOD!

12 fish
Pepper
Salt
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. cornmeal
Crisco or cooking oil
Salt and pepper fish. Roll in flour and meal (mixed). In large skillet (cast iron is best) melt Crisco. heat to piping hot. Fry fish until brown, on each side(doesn't take more than a minute if filleted a little longer if fish is whole). Delicious with French fried potatoes and crisp green salad. Serves 4.

MA Anglers.com

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
Re: A Perch Recipe for Everyone
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:28 AM »
Yummy. Thats how I roll ,too. Plain and simple.
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Gutta go get me 12 fish!  My wife has me doing any and all deepfrying out in the garage to keep the stank outta the house. Your suggestion of French Fried Potatoes is great, try this one as well--->
Hearty TaterSkins
Halve a couple of large taters, scoop out tater til ya have about a 1/2" left. Like a canoe!
Deep fry for about 3-5 minutes, depending on how thick ya left/made em.
Take out and fill with yummy cheesey goodness, wattaever works fer ya, I like Monteray Jack and Shredded cheddar/etc.
Use REAL bacon , not bacon bits-chopped and added to cheesey goodness. a couple of halepenos for kick
Into a preheated oven at 400  for a few , until cheesy goodness is melted to your satisfaction! Lil bit of sour cream on top.
Serve with above dish of fish!

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:18 AM »
It does not get any better than that. That is how my mother fried fish.   Jerry

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:02 AM »
quick an easy is always good.. im not a huge cornmeal guy, i like to grab a box of croutons and make my own bread crumbs out of it.

Offline jasonfishn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:06 PM »
We really enjoy the simple zaterans fish coating its easy and tastes really good on perch and talapia
I admit it I am an Ice O Holic

(Fish) it's what's for dinner

Offline ICEano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • work to live, live to fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:13 AM »
Yummy. Thats how I roll ,too. Plain and simple.
i like to add a touch of garlic powder, not alot just a bit

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:47 PM »
I too am simple when it comes to panfish... Not to hijack your thread but I coat the fillet in flour, then egg, then Penko bread crumbs and into hot EVOO.  Extremely simple and the Penko crumbs give it a great crunch.  Try it, you'll like it.

Offline sorelippin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2012, 01:16 PM »
I too am simple when it comes to panfish... Not to hijack your thread but I coat the fillet in flour, then egg, then Penko bread crumbs and into hot EVOO.  Extremely simple and the Penko crumbs give it a great crunch.  Try it, you'll like it.

I do mine EXACTLY like yours and that's how I've done them since finding Panko crumbs.  Only difference is I use canola oil because it has a lower burning point and crisps the fish better than EVOO.  SOOOOO GOOOOD!

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:12 PM »
I'll have to try the canola, I sometimes use peanut oil but that's only when I do them in the fry daddy

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:29 PM »
quick an easy is always good.. im not a huge cornmeal guy, i like to grab a box of croutons and make my own bread crumbs out of it.
Great idea right there IceJunky! Gutta give er a shot.

Offline mhodnettjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2012, 12:08 AM »
Try giving some saltine or ritz crackers a spin in the food processor then just coat the fish with egg and the crumbs before pan frying...Ohhhhhhh baby.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Dip in flour, then egg wash, then dip in instant mashed potato flakes.  Deep fry. YUM!!!

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perchman From The Northeast
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:45 PM »
I wanted to share with everone a good recipe that is easy and is finger licking good!!
All you need is PERCH!!
Fillet them off!
Then Mix together eggs and milk!
Get some GOLDEN DIP Tempora of Fish Fry Mix generally near cornmeal or Seafood in the Store
The mix mixes easy with just water.
Dip your fillets in the egg then into the dip, drop into deep fryer. When they float with a golden brown look, generally about 3-5 minutes. You are ready to eat.
Very good and the kids will love it. You can serve with home frys or chips.
Very Good!!
Be Safe! Have Fun! FISH ON!

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Sorry Folks, Should of been Tempora or Fish Fry mix.
You can also do it with cornmeal and add salt to your liking.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Mmmm, had a big perch feed just Sunday. All we did was butter, salt and pepper and garlic, fried in the pan.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:29 PM »
sounds simple and very yummy. thanks for the recipe
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline shaunbolio25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Hey, if you do charters than how much to get to the Walleye. We live in the Northeast Kingdom and we cant get to um anymore.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2013, 02:47 PM »
Hey, if you do charters than how much to get to the Walleye. We live in the Northeast Kingdom and we cant get to um anymore.
Well i use :'( to charters but still have my captains license . Walleye are hard to track down and find on lake Champlain. Your really need to studies the habits of the walleye on Champlain to get them successfully. To get walleyes on Lake Champlain, you need to venture far south to like South bay or go way north and fish the big bays on the northern part of lake Champlain. That is just my opinion.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2013, 03:17 PM »
You're making me hungry. Try adding a little tobasco to the egg wash it gives'em a little flavor.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline lannino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Ok, Ive got a question for this thread. What's the best way to clean a perch? I almost never target them in the summer and am fairly new to ice fishing. Every time i keep one, I feel  like I'm wasting a lot with how little meat I get from a fillet even when it's a bigger fish.  Can you leave the meat on the bones? I fish for trout in the summer and just gut them, leaving skin and bones. Any advice?

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:06 AM »
this is the best way that I have found.

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:22 AM »
Ok, Ive got a question for this thread. What's the best way to clean a perch? I almost never target them in the summer and am fairly new to ice fishing. Every time i keep one, I feel  like I'm wasting a lot with how little meat I get from a fillet even when it's a bigger fish.  Can you leave the meat on the bones? I fish for trout in the summer and just gut them, leaving skin and bones. Any advice?

i peel the skin off the perch, then cut the fillet off after, then you can cut the rib bones out.
fish on

Offline fishinaround

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 09, 2013, 05:33 AM »
electric fillet knife. found a nice rapala one at a tag sale last year, bought it for a buck. best dollar i ever spent. I lose almost nothing.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:32 AM »
I cook them with the rib bones in, it will flake off really easy after being cooked.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:25 AM »
You're making me hungry. Try adding a little tobasco to the egg wash it gives'em a little flavor.

Or, try adding Old Bay to the wash

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:27 PM »
I found some stuff at walmart called house autry seafood breader,I have made the best calimari rings I ever ate with this stuff,also tryed it on fish and shrimp and I really like it its simple to use,all you do is dredge whatever your frying in it and shake off the excess and drop it in hot oil,we sometimes have a fish fry on the ice with our catch and not having to deal with the old egg and flour and bread crumb recipie will be much easyer and faster and this year will have shrimp and calimari rings to go with the fish,Im going to heat up the fryer now got some calimari left from the holidays yum yum

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.