The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Tipnspin tipups @ tipnspin.com  (Read 3709 times)

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Tipnspin tipups @ tipnspin.com
« on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:27 AM »
MY Tip n' Spin traps froze up this weekend. Is there a way to put grease/lube in them? If so, how do I do it?

Or............ should I just think of them as warm weather traps?

Thanks....

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tipnspin tipups @ tipnspin.com
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:56 PM »
Tip N' Spins....warm weather only. To be honest I retired the few I had for good, not impressed with them at all.

Have you ever experienced a fish burning line off of one of them traps? My experience with this was awful, the weight associated with the "flag" makes the trap top heavy and if it gets spinning fast enough the reel starts binding....Not a good design IMO

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:15 PM »
Actually I like them alot.....they have one of the most sensitive triggers...and when they go off I can see if the fish is running because I can see the "flag"...the black/orange styrofoam fish "flag" spinning....I like that alot...like the polar traps tee's spinning.........and they stick up above the snow (which the polars don't) ...so I like them...if they work like they are supposed to work...

sure they are'nt the best best traps for all applications....I have jacks, heritage, 40-up, allagash, polars, beaver dams, etc ...and others...including a finicky fish factory....

so....I have plenty of other traps to play with.....I just would like these to not freeze up....do you know how to fix them?

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 PM »
Actually I like them alot.....they have one of the most sensitive triggers...and when they go off I can see if the fish is running because I can see the "flag"...the black/orange styrofoam fish "flag" spinning....I like that alot...like the polar traps tee's spinning.........and they stick up above the snow (which the polars don't) ...so I like them...if they work like they are supposed to work...

sure they are'nt the best best traps for all applications....I have jacks, heritage, 40-up, allagash, polars, beaver dams, etc ...and others...including a finicky fish factory....

so....I have plenty of other traps to play with.....I just would like these to not freeze up....do you know how to fix them?

Keep them in the garage..LOL. Sorry man, I dont.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:36 AM »
gave mine away. get some heritages.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:09 AM »
Jack...why did you give your tip an spins away?....because they froze?

or just because you did'nt like them for some other reason?

BTW, I have a set of 6 Heritages Lakers with old school metal spools and my two sons both have newer sets with the plastic spools...They are nice traps, as are the Bob's Big Boys, we use on big lakes when there is a lot of snow but we can't see the spool spinning from a distance on either, like we can with our old Tip N Spins...........

thanks for your help .....

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Oh yeah....I forgot...yeah hardwater I know what you mean about the flag being a little top heavy when a fish streaks off and the flag wobbles.around...

how we fix that is we cut the fish flag in half...so there is only half the weight on the rod.... but more importantly we slide the fish flag down the rod to just above the spring...then it does'nt wave all around...when the spool spins....

To be honest with you...I'm kinda curious about some of those old school traps that had a "running" flag built into them....I think 40 up still makes one...I don't understand how those work?

I think seeing how much the fish has run and when it does..... really helps in the long run in hooking and landing fish...on most traps...when the flag goes off and you are sitting on the other side in a different hole jigging...you don't know if the fish bumped it...or if he ran with it....and if you arrive and the the spool has stopped spinning...you don't know if the fish just stopped or you have to wait for him to move off again.....it helps seeing the "tee" spin on polars or beaver dam style traps ...that is a good thing in my opinion...but I don't really like those traps because they get buried in the snow....and often you can't see them because the snow is built up too high... I mean on black ice...and if they are in close they are fine...but not if you have a spread that is scattered out over the ice with snow on top....

The perfect trap in my opinion would be a Heritage style trap...but with some way to see if the spool is spinning from a distance, or without moving the trap....

I might have to get one of those two flag 40 ups and play with it...

Back to the tip and spins...i have'nt used mine in a really long time..until this past weekend ....so I don't remember if they were always icing up or if I just used them on warm days back in the day....

I would think i could just fill the groove down through the upright up with low temp grease...but I just wanted to know if anyone had played around with these....

They were built by a guy in Old Town but I have' seen them for sale anywhere in years and years....
If anyone else thinks they stink I'll be happy to take them off your hands.....

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:04 AM »
Jack...why did you give your tip an spins away?....because they froze?

or just because you did'nt like them for some other reason?

BTW, I have a set of 6 Heritages Lakers with old school metal spools and my two sons both have newer sets with the plastic spools...They are nice traps, as are the Bob's Big Boys, we use on big lakes when there is a lot of snow but we can't see the spool spinning from a distance on either, like we can with our old Tip N Spins...........

thanks for your help .....       the flag/fish puts too much resistance to a hard running fish and they tear the bait off on a good run just about everytime. forget them for sal. and togue unless you like to feed the fish w/ nothing to show for it. i have 5 different typpes of traps and this ones the only one ive given away  , if that tells you anything. i tried the lowering of the flag too but doesnt help w/ the resistance. just my 2 cents.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:53 AM »
back in the day i fished  the tip and spins for brookies and perch....same with the plastic polars and Frabills... but we usually use Allagash, Thompson, Jacks, Heritage,40-ups and some other traps that I don't even remember thier names for salmon and togue....
My go to traps over the last 20 years have been my metal spool Heritages...but one of my sons likes his set of Allagashes.....the other one prefers a set of mixed Thompson, Moosehead and some other antique traps with no name on them....

We usually bring a couple Bob's Big bots and sometimes will set a sucker on the Bob's Big Boy down on the bottom....or if we set a trap way out on the ice.....we mix and match depending on the species and conditions....

I'm still wondering...did your tip n spin's freeze=up or not?

If not then my grease has dripped out of them because they were standing up right in a pail in my basement for the last 5 years...but if they never had grease to begin with and they just have that design flaw of freezing up in cold weather...I wont frig around with them and just use them when it's warm ....

Like I said...I had'nt used them in a while...I saw them in the corner last week and figured I'd try them out because i had'nt fished with them in years.....It was wicked cold and they froze up on me last weekend ...still caught fish but they were not tripping as easy as they do when the are'nt froze-up....

I just don't remember if i always had that problem....I do know that i caught a lot of brookies with these traps when I used to use them before.....

Offline Cut Bait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Day on the Ice...Priceless
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:26 PM »
 Had a set of traps i always used and one summer i left them out in my garage standing up in the basket like always.... and the next winter they would freeze...finally figured out that the past summer they had gotten so hot the grease in the tubes had leaked out the bottom just enough for water to get in a freeze the wire.... Bummer...after that i would leave them in the freezer we had out in the garage till I got rid of it... now I'm sure they are left laying flat and not standing up ....working for me

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012, 01:42 PM »
yes .....thank you for all your help....that is all very interesting.....yes the summer heat can make the grease drip out of your ice traps....yes heritages are nice traps...yes the flag on top of tip and spins  bounces around....and maybe a salmon will steal your bait

...but ...

does anyone on ice shanty know if Tip n Spins are supposed to have grease in them or not?

and if they are supposed to have grease in them Does anyone on ice shanty know how to repack them?...

or

does anyone on ice shanty know if Tip and Spins just have a design flaw which makes them always freeze up when it is cold? 

thanks that is all I am asking....

I just want to fix them if they can be fixed...

or I just want to know that they can't be fixed and they are traps that don't have grease in them and i will just use them in warm weather from now on...

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:06 AM »
Heres the poop ...yes Tip and Spins are supposed to have grease in them....but replacing it is difficult if you don't know how...however a guy who knows how is gonna show me how to do it....Bonus....

Thanks for all your help...and if anyone else wants to get rid of their Tip and Spins I'll gladly take them off your hands......

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:30 AM »
back in the day i fished  the tip and spins for brookies and perch....same with the plastic polars and Frabills... but we usually use Allagash, Thompson, Jacks, Heritage,40-ups and some other traps that I don't even remember thier names for salmon and togue....
My go to traps over the last 20 years have been my metal spool Heritages...but one of my sons likes his set of Allagashes.....the other one prefers a set of mixed Thompson, Moosehead and some other antique traps with no name on them....

We usually bring a couple Bob's Big bots and sometimes will set a sucker on the Bob's Big Boy down on the bottom....or if we set a trap way out on the ice.....we mix and match depending on the species and conditions....

I'm still wondering...did your tip n spin's freeze=up or not?

If not then my grease has dripped out of them because they were standing up right in a pail in my basement for the last 5 years...but if they never had grease to begin with and they just have that design flaw of freezing up in cold weather...I wont frig around with them and just use them when it's warm ....

Like I said...I had'nt used them in a while...I saw them in the corner last week and figured I'd try them out because i had'nt fished with them in years.....It was wicked cold and they froze up on me last weekend ...still caught fish but they were not tripping as easy as they do when the are'nt froze-up....

I just don't remember if i always had that problem....I do know that i caught a lot of brookies with these traps when I used to use them before.....
o
I
Yeah, a few times. That and the oscillating flag....to much. Replaced it  with a laker to join my other 4, it was the odd man out to begin with. Maybe Ill dig it back out and try to resurrect it, it is a cool design.

Offline cap

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:47 AM »
The flag can certainly occilate around and bounce around...no question about it...

but I can live with it...so if anyone thinks these traps totally suck I'll take them of your hands or even purchase them from you.....

you can do some stuff to minimize the flag problme.....if you slide the fish down to the top of the spring that helps...and you can minimize it even more by cutting the foam fish in half and just using the head or the tail part of it...you still see it if it trips and there is certainly enough color to see it if it is only half the size...that puts it at about the same size as any "normal flag"....also a stiffer spring helps...when they get old they get looser...so if you replace the spring and rod it stiffens the whole thing back up again...

I'm even thinking of taking the whole fish off and just using something lighter maybe just tie a bow on it with red ribbon or something like that.....maybe a rectangle of cardboard

I think the design is cool too....they just need to be tweaked a tad......

Also I just want to say something about Heritage traps,,,seeing how they are so popular...IN my opinion, when they were built in Orland they were way better than the ones you buy now that I see in stores...I don't know where they are built but they are'nt as good as Orland built Heritage Lakers were....

Offline HardwaterFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:53 AM »
The flag can certainly occilate around and bounce around...no question about it...

but I can live with it...so if anyone thinks these traps totally suck I'll take them of your hands or even purchase them from you.....

you can do some stuff to minimize the flag problme.....if you slide the fish down to the top of the spring that helps...and you can minimize it even more by cutting the foam fish in half and just using the head or the tail part of it...you still see it if it trips and there is certainly enough color to see it if it is only half the size...that puts it at about the same size as any "normal flag"....also a stiffer spring helps...when they get old they get looser...so if you replace the spring and rod it stiffens the whole thing back up again...

I'm even thinking of taking the whole fish off and just using something lighter maybe just tie a bow on it with red ribbon or something like that.....maybe a rectangle of cardboard

I think the design is cool too....they just need to be tweaked a tad......

Also I just want to say something about Heritage traps,,,seeing how they are so popular...IN my opinion, when they w ere built in Orland they were way better than the ones you buy now that I see in stores...I don't know where they are built but they are'nt as good as Orland built Heritage Lakers were....

Thanks for the tips cap! Let you know how I make out or have any questions. It's always good to have a spare!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:07 AM »
maybe stand them up and put some heavy oil like 3 and 1 from the top and put something like a tight fitting rubber washer on the shaft on the bottom to keep it from running out? can the reel even be removed. its been awhile since i had mine. if you can get the reel off and pull the shaft out you could put some lithium grease on it and slide it back in.

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2022, 07:39 PM »

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2022, 05:42 PM »
We sell a food grade grease mixture that can be injected in to a tiny hole about 4.5 inches up from the bottom of the tipup. We have also corrected the flag wobble by shortening the flag wire, shortened the overall tipup by 4 inches so it won't be so top heavy and made the tipup out of plastic so it can't absorb the oil out of the grease which was a problem with the wooden ones.

Offline Tip-n-spin

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 07, 2022, 10:56 AM »

TIPNSPIN TIPS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.