Author Topic: 200 fishermen are trapped on Lake Erie Ice  (Read 16399 times)

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
200 fishermen are trapped on Lake Erie Ice
« on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:26 PM »

Article published Saturday, February 7, 2009
Fishermen trapped on Lake Erie

About 200 fishermen are trapped on Lake Erie because of cracks that developed in the ice when they were on the lake.

Rescue workers are preparing to retrieve the fishermen, who apparently used wooden pallets to create a bridge to get past a crack and further onto the lake. The ice shifted in the windy weather, causing the fishermen to be stranded between the water and the shore about 1,000 yards off the shore.

Authorities from Jerusalem Township and Lucas County are on the scene, which is at Crane Creek State Park in northern Ottawa County. No injuries have been reported.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090207/DEVELOPINGNEWS/902070251
Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
Re: 200 fishermen are trapped on Lake Erie Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Wow, happens every year. I would never go out there in these strong south winds. Hope everyone ends up okay, I'm sure there is people from Iceshanty stranded out there.

Also, go to wtol.com for a video

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:00 PM »
I'm ashamed to say I chuckled just a little bit when I read they put something across a crack in the ice to get farther out. But when i just saw this I'm not chuckling anymore:

One fisherman has fallen through the ice. Crews have pulled him out and are performing CPR.

:( :embarassed:
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Raybob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Thanks KL :)

I also seen the below when I visited wtol--

...UPDATED: Ice fisherman trapped on Lake Erie
Updated: Feb 7, 2009 01:52 PM
NEW: One fisherman has fallen through the ice. Crews have pulled him out and are performing CPR.

...Coast Guard: Fishermen trapped on Lake Erie ice

February 7, 2009 1:45 PM ET

CLEVELAND (AP) - The Coast Guard says several hundred people are trapped on a slab of ice about 8 miles wide that has broken free and is floating away from the Ohio shoreline of Lake Erie.

Coast Guard Petty Officer George Degener says several ships and helicopters from Toledo and Marblehead, Ohio, are attempting to rescue the people from the ice floe.

Degener says there are no reports of anybody injured or in the water.

He says the Coast Guard was notified late Saturday morning.

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step...

Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt!
Ray da sUMo 'Chaser

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I was off of Crane yesterday and knew that crack would spell trouble. With the high south winds and the weekend fisherman it was a recipe for trouble. Hope everyone makes it off O.K. My friend is on the phone with the Coast Guard to see what he can do with his airboat.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Can someone let us know if the one guy that fell in made it?
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Can someone let us know if the one guy that fell in made it?

They said that he is being taken to the hospital right now.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=9805706

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:18 PM »
They said that he is being taken to the hospital right now.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=9805706

Thanks!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Prayer sent for the Gentleman sent to the Hospital.   I don't know Him but I hate reading stuff like this.......
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Prayer sent for the Gentleman sent to the Hospital.   I don't know Him but I hate reading stuff like this.......

Me too.

I wonder if he was trying to do an Evil Knievel across some open water with his snowmobile?

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:38 PM »

Sorry to hear about this Ive never been on the lake why go out there if its open water?
                         where I fish they dont open it unless  its 5 inches

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:45 PM »

Sorry to hear about this Ive never been on the lake why go out there if its open water?
                         where I fish they dont open it unless  its 5 inches

Why fish if there is open water? Well the walleye fishing can be world class if you hit it right for one thing. And the ice was about a foot thick and  safe for miles. However since there is open water several miles out, if the wind picks up sometimes a chunk can break free. This chunk is like it says 8 miles long. Normally you're fine but things obviously changed rapidly today.

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I just got back from there.The guys with sleds and quads were able to go along the crack for several miles northeast and cross the crack well off shore from Camp Perry.Our group had an airboat.I didn't hear or see anyone go in,but it was a long ride to get around the crack.I watched at least 200 make that trip.If the crack would have opened with all the wind last night it would have prevented this.It was almost like the lake was waiting for them.It took off after everyone had already crossed.At 7:30 it was 1' wide,at 9:00 it was 20 yards.We got our fish and were back on shore by 9:15.We went back out and ferried some guys back.I came home and my friend went back out to help with the air boat.You have to respect the ice and be prepared to deal with the cracks or stay on shore.Air boat was the only way to go in that area with this wind.

Offline Kenny Limmit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Bream Reaper
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2009, 03:01 PM »
I just read that the guy they rescued passed away. Some of you may have heard this already but heres another link.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6646513

rutnut245 glad to hear your okay.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2009, 04:30 PM »
seems everyone aside from the one poor fella is o.k. that is good to hear and my thoughts and prayers to the family of that man.

Offline jamess2008

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2009, 04:56 PM »
I was out there yesterday. Boy that makes your ass pucker. Sorry to see someone passed away. Well I guess Im probably done fishing their for the year. Well everyone stay safe.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2009, 05:57 PM »
The media is so ignorant. To hear them tell about it the ice melted right away. It's the wind you morons and melting is a small part of it. People who don't icefish and aren't familiar with the ice think once temps go above freezing it melts instantly. Not so.

Offline Bluefox

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jiggin' Fool
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Wow, just a few days ago my friend wanted us to head up there today, and then I see this on the news! Prayers to family and friends of the fellow who lost his life!

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:03 PM »
first the condolences for the loss of life

watched cnn on line video.....and all i can say is...

your local sherriff in charge of rescue is an arrogant arse!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline p.c.icenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:20 PM »
Every year we tell you not to go off Crane creek with a south/west wind , and every year this happens .
 Not everyone was rescued . Some road the 11 to 12 miles to get off .
Now they've messed it up for the rest of us . Anyone on the ice will be arrested . The sheriff says they're not spending another $40,000 for another rescue . Well heck , who told them to fly a C-130 in all the way from N.C. . Just to drop life rafts .

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:30 PM »
they cannot arrest you for fishing? when the ice makes it way back to Ohio watch the wind and get back on them eyes I had/am hoped/hoping to get out there this year I realize what happened and also realize the magnitude of the situation, but in a few days when the ice comes back together and there is NO SOUTH wind people will fish again. It really sucks that a man had to die doing what he loves.

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of one of our hard water men. My thoughts and prayers are with this mans family.
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Every year we tell you not to go off Crane creek with a south/west wind , and every year this happens .
 Not everyone was rescued . Some road the 11 to 12 miles to get off .
Now they've messed it up for the rest of us . Anyone on the ice will be arrested  . The sheriff says they're not spending another $40,000 for another rescue . Well heck , who told them to fly a C-130 in all the way from N.C. . Just to drop life rafts .
Anyone on the ice will be arrested  ?  WHY ?  and HOW?   just curious
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline 585perchfinder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2009, 07:56 PM »
prayers go out to the family.

Do you guys leave your equipment out there, and hope for the ice moves back. Or you just leave it.

Offline martalus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2009, 09:32 PM »
Its all over CNN.  Two fell in and one is ice fishing somewhere else now....prayers for his family...CNN made it out like the 200 guys should have known better since the NWS advised people against fishing in that area due to strong southern winds.  Apparently the guys made a makeshift bridge to get around an existing crack and then an 8 mile stretch broke off completely. I am not familiar with the area but it sounds pretty wild-it must be really good fishing to take a risk like that.

Offline eyepod.barnes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch and release in hot grease
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:29 PM »
i was out yesterday too, they had a couple sheets of plywood across the crack.i wanted to go back up today but knew it wouldnt be wise with the wind. glad i stayed home.prayers go out to the family of the man who didnt make. maybe with tomorrows winds it will blow that piece back in and make it a lil easier to get all those atvs off the ice.oh yeah, thats if they dont arrest you while trying ;D
I can't wait for hell to freeze over.... so I can icefish it!!!!

Offline Aquafirma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:21 AM »
Can anyone verify whether or not an ice cutter or any other large shipping vessel ran through the western end of Lake Erie before yesterday's ice rescue effort? 

I have been told in the past that large ships and/or cutters do operate throughout the western basin of Lake Erie when it is still ice covered. 

If this is so, were there any vessels throughout the area the last couple of days? 

I saw the Sherrif's tongue lashing of the ice fisherman on TV yesterday and started to wonder what, if any impact, a cutter or large ship may have contributed to the situation.  I've lived up here for a while and have never heard any authorities warn anyone of the fact that ships do cut paths through the ice.  I have heard from Islanders though who claim that this has happened in the past . . . and that when you combine a ship crossing with a strong south or southwest wind, it lends itself to an ice flow being created.

If this is something that does happen periodically, then how difficult would it be to coordinate some sort of notification or warning process advising ice fisherman of this additional risk.  I don't think most people are aware that this type of thing does happen.

I'm just curious.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:29 AM »
I wondered the same thing aquafirma??  I believe there had to be something that allowed that ice to move.  I was out there last week with a decent south wind and the crack never moved one inch. I could not figure how it could move 40 yards yesterday.

If your going to fish Erie your going to cross cracks, it is just part of it.  You also need to go with some guys that have some know.  What the media did not report was: I would guess through cell comunication and some knowhow 200 guys rescued themselves.  It was a 20 mile run but most machines were ridden off.  Some gear got scuttled in the process and it was a bit scary but everyone was safe.

What I don't understand is the clamoring for icefisherman to pay for rescue but never hear that about open water rescues?? I would bet more than 150 are "rescued" every year from disabled boats.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:35 AM »
Also isn't it the job description of the Coast Guard to rescue people? If so, would that be in a budget already? Seems to me just like fireman there is a lot of downtime and they are on the job anyway.

Offline Emex1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I agree The Sheriff the Fire Department and Coast Guard all Volunteered to do that job. Then they b***h when they got to do it. What I fear is in a time when Government is taking controll of everything,They will end up making it a crime to go Ice Fishing.
                                          Boyd

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.