Author Topic: Carp on Tip Up?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline FishSpike

• IceShanty Rookie
Carp on Tip Up?
« on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:08 PM »
Anyone ever targeted Carp on a Tip Up?

I tried last year using dough bait, but no luck. Caught some on waxies just randomly, while fishing for crappie.

I think I need to work on my setup this year and figure it out. It is all for fun, I don't fish for them to keep them.

Offline Forest

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Carp on Tip Up?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:34 AM »
I always keep them on the lake I fish. They are a nuisance. They are grass carp I believe. eat all the plants off the bottom.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I've never caught one on a tip-up but I caught a few jigging, they were lots of fun to catch and put up a great fight.

Offline Saskassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:12 PM »
on purpose????

check out a "bolt rig" on youtube.........

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2016, 12:33 PM »
in the summer i do really well with #8 circle hooks and bits of cutbait, but the only carp i've caught through the ice was while jigging for crappie. maybe try some tiny hooks (#10 or #12) crammed full of maggots.

Offline FishSpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I'm an avid Carp Fisher in the open water seasons. For the most part, carp are overly sensitive to bait. They do the suck and spit technique until they feel comfortable. Then, all hell breaks loose.

I tried tip ups for them last season on my dough bait recipe, no luck. I am guessing they were too sensitive and the flag tension gave them issues committing. I feel like a Jaw Jacker may be something to try?

Online Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:49 AM »
catch em on 1 lb. test they are all big walleyes until you see them

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:19 PM »
I'd have to agree with the guy who posted bolt rig. Tipup line down to a bolt rig with light line small hooks. Carp metabolism slows in the cooler water maybe you could use the smallest hair rig hook with a few waxworks/maggots threaded on

Offline FishSpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Seems like a good plan. I'll give it a go and see how I do.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2016, 01:35 PM »
The problem with ice fishing carp is that they go right into the middle of trees and other structure in the winter. They don't roam the open areas like they do in open water, they literally sit as far into a tree as possible and pick bugs/larvae off the branches at their own convenience.

With that being said, I have caught them (mostly jigging in brush!) but did catch one on a tipup once. I set a tipup with a #18 treble and 6 waxworms right on a weed line just for the heck of it to try and catch a big perch or bass. Caught a carp. I doubt they would run too long with it though, they are pretty line sensitive. I was only 5 feet from it when it hit. It was just a little baby one, maybe 15".

I would guess the only way to really target them would be in a small pond or area that is loaded with carp and just set a variety of baits and see what happens. Corn, maggots, and waxworms is what I would try.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Saskassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2016, 01:04 PM »
&t=498s

check that video out, its about using  bolt rig from the shore but the principle is the same from the ice.

a bolt rig uses the carps desire to spook against itself...as soon as it feels any resistance from the bait the fish bolts and sets the  hook .........great for a tipup because it does everything for you, all you need to do is reel in the fish. its simple and brutaly effective

as far as carp being in trees , that all depends where you live........your lakes have trees, mine dont

Offline FishSpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Thanks for the ideas and tips!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.