The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Ice Machine  (Read 7443 times)

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Ice Machine
« on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:24 PM »
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on the Lowrance Ice Machine?

I have been wanting one for a while now. Once I finally decided to go for it and buy one it appeared that no one had any and they stopped making them in order to start production on the Elite -5.  However,  after days of searching I found a new one online and ordered it. Just looking for opinions and experience on them! Thanks guys!

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lowrance Elite-4 HDI Ice Machine
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:30 PM »
I have one and really like it. It hasn't given me any trouble.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:32 PM »
I have one and really like it. It hasn't given me any trouble.

Nice! How well does the 3D reconstruction work? Do you use the flasher or the 3D map primarily one the ice?

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:36 PM »
I really only use the flasher.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:40 PM »
Cool.  I'm excited for both features I think.  A guy at Cabelas told me that he uses the Ice Machine 3D map in the summer on his float tube, I'm thinking this is a great idea! I can use it year round,  which made it easier to justify the money with the Ol' Lady! Haha

Offline rustychukar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:50 PM »
Ya I  got a pontoon boat I am going to try it on.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Exactly what I'm thinking!  Lol

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:05 PM »
I have a another style but I use the sonar over the flasher when ice fishing. Sure nice to look away or pour another drink and go crap a fish just swam by. 

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:10 PM »
I have a another style but I use the sonar over the flasher when ice fishing. Sure nice to look away or pour another drink and go crap a fish just swam by.

Haha nice! What do you have if you don't mind my asking?

Offline mtcain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:22 PM »
Lowrance X67c.....bargain cave special!  Only time I look at the flasher is when I am showing someone how it works.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2015, 11:33 PM »
Lowrance X67c.....bargain cave special!  Only time I look at the flasher is when I am showing someone how it works.

Looks like a nice model! 

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Good buy your going to like it. I have the 67, 68 and the Elite 5x and love them
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline theron86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:12 AM »
I have the Elite-4x Ice Machine, but it doesn't have the HDI.  I wouldn't fish with anything else.  I don't use the flasher mode either, because I love being able to see the history.  Like was mentioned above, it always happens that you look away for a bit and a fish swims by.  You don't know a fish has been there with a flasher.  I also use it on my boat in the summer.  Couldn't ask for a better, more versatile machine for the price.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm really excited for it! Should be here Friday. ...just in time for the deteriorating ice around here lol.

Offline timberbutte

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:03 PM »
I also have the X67c, NOT from the bargain cave. I think mine was new maybe the first year or two they were available. It was probably 300 when I bought it but has been awesome and worth every cent. I can use it for 2-3 long days in real cold temps before the battery even starts to slow down. It is now 6? years old and going strong. Highly recommend.

I use the sonar graph mode exclusively. What am I missing with the flashers? I've  tried the flasher mode on mine and fished with some Vex's and don't see what the attraction is. Curious to know what I'm missing.

Offline fuzz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:07 PM »
Was looking at the elite 3x is there much diff between the 3 and 4 are they the same size

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Timberbutte, that is exciting to hear about the battery.  I was wondering how well it would hold up!  Thanks for the info.

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:43 PM »
Bought my Elite-4 about 2 weeks ago only have had it out once, but worked well in sonar mode, and from all the posts I do prefer the sonar to the flasher for history.  Was up at G-town fishing kokanee and a school would swim in and could get my jig right down to their level... bam fish on!

Really excited to strap it to the boat this summer and do some graphing too, anyone here know if you have to buy the different transducer for summer use?  I may just buy one and get the boat setup to run off the boats battery, less parts to swap out.

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:42 PM »
Bought my Elite-4 about 2 weeks ago only have had it out once, but worked well in sonar mode, and from all the posts I do prefer the sonar to the flasher for history.  Was up at G-town fishing kokanee and a school would swim in and could get my jig right down to their level... bam fish on!

Really excited to strap it to the boat this summer and do some graphing too, anyone here know if you have to buy the different transducer for summer use?  I may just buy one and get the boat setup to run off the boats battery, less parts to swap out.

Nice! I have a feeling I'm going to like the sonar better than the flasher as well!

I was told by a guy who works at cabelas that you don't have to get separate transducer for your boat. He said just put the ice one in the water and it will work great.  I'm thinking during the summer I will figure out a way to secure the unit to the frame of my poontoon float tube and then hang the transducer in the water under my seat. This little machine is going to see a lot of use year round!!! Lol

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:36 AM »
Most of the forum's that i've read has said getting the different ducer will improve your field of view.  The ice ducer is a narrower cone.  Wider field of view may be better while in motion.  I bet it also depends on the angle you have your transducer set on the boat too.  I'm interested to hook mine up and see if the ice ducer will work or if its just better to get the open water one.

GL let me know how you like it.  I have yet to use the gps waypoints yet, but I have a feeling i can mark some cool things in the summer to go back and ice fish in the winter!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:00 AM »
GPS is ok at best.  Will mark relatively close to your spot say 15ft accuracy, occasionally under 15ft if the moon and sun are align right! Still carry my Garmin with me. If you have a hot hole and come back the next day better hope you have some making on the ice to identify it. For open water use that accuracy is tolerable. That being said love my Elite 4x for both season.... also the ice ducer will work fine on float tube/pontoon as long as you're not cruising too fast,  .i.e trolling motor attach.

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:30 AM »
Thanks for the update, sounds like the GPS isn't worth the extra.  I've used my phone as a GPS before and marked waypoints, I think i'll stick to that.

Good to know the ice ducer works on the boat too. Hopefully we'll have good fish stories to tell soon!  thank TL!

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:39 AM »
GPS is still worth it.... just better for open water use. Ex: being the scroll back history and saving gps spot on a hump, big fish mark, or structure while moving. If that make sense.

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Totally, so you can scroll back and then put a gps point at the location you were at when you went over the hump?

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:04 PM »
That is correct! Also good thing about the graph mode vs flasher is that you can scroll back n show your buddy your jigging pattern and they can mimic it also well. That is if you're the one catching the fish! Lol!

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:07 PM »
This will help clear up some nonsense being stated whilest in the shanty.  Good call!

Offline klamathkp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Most of the forum's that i've read has said getting the different ducer will improve your field of view.  The ice ducer is a narrower cone.  Wider field of view may be better while in motion.  I bet it also depends on the angle you have your transducer set on the boat too.  I'm interested to hook mine up and see if the ice ducer will work or if its just better to get the open water one.

GL let me know how you like it.  I have yet to use the gps waypoints yet, but I have a feeling i can mark some cool things in the summer to go back and ice fish in the winter!

Thank you. I will certainly let you know how it works out! I plan to mark waypoints as well, thats why I got this unit verses the one without the GPS.

You do bring up an interesting point about the transducer! I hadnt thought of that, perhaps a separate one for my float tube would be a good idea.

Offline hk_willow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 09, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Does anyone on here have a good source (possibly free) to get the lake contours for our popular lakes in MT to upload to this unit?

Offline nelcustbuild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2015, 01:15 AM »
Ok, if I have the elite 4 in my boat, what do I need to use it on the ice?  Battery pack?  Sonar?  Carrying case?  After a little research I found some but they are either for the 3x or the 5

Offline Big Shmack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Lowrance has a Rebate offer good through 2/28/15. $50 off for the elite 3x, elite 4xhdi and $100 off for the Elite-5 Chirp, Elite5 hdi . I just purchased the Elite 5 hdi and luv it. I don't use the flasher mode on it as I like the fact you can see history on sonar and jigging pattern and how fish react to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.