The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Eskimo Z51 - Gas Leak - Fix Ya'  (Read 4509 times)

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Z51 - Gas Leak - Fix Ya'
« on: Nov 10, 2014, 08:48 AM »
I just wanted to add a note on this board that I recently had a gas leak from my Eskimo Z51 auger and after some investigation I noticed the rubber grommet that "plugs in" to the tank tank and is around the gas line was not sealing tight and causing a leak.  After some investigation on the Eskimo sight it looked like the only replacement parts I could get were a new gas line, filter and grommet all as one kit.  This kit was around $16 without shipping.  I decided to try and fix the leak by myself and found a perfect fix that has totally stopped the leak.

I bought some "Seal-All" adhesive from the local O'Reilly here in Billings and coated the grommet and where it attaches to the tank and tube with 2 or 3 coats of this and this has completely stopped the leak. 

So for anyone experiencing similar issues this is a cheaper and permanent fix.

http://www.amazon.com/Seal-All-Resistant-Adhesive-Aluminum-Plastic/dp/B0017M44Q6

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Z51 - Gas Leak - Fix Ya'
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:17 PM »
There is a new tank kit that replaces the standard tank.  It's an all new assembly.  The original tank was a design flaw.  I bet if you made some noise, Eskimo would replace it for you.  I paid $25 for the new tank and assembly, but they know it's a design flaw so I'm thinking you could get it cheaper or free if you called and complained. 

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:20 PM »

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Oh, nice...thanks for the info!

What does the new design have that fixes the issue?  Just wondering

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I fixed all my gas leak issues with a Jiffy Pro4!  Although it did cost me a bit more than $20...  ;) ;D

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Ha ha.......nice.... $5 < $26 < Jiffy Pro4

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2014, 10:28 PM »
Instead of having the bolts thread straight into the tank, the new tank has tabs that stick out and the bolts go through the  tabs.  The grommet you were talking about where the tube penetrates must be sealed somehow now because it's in there tight, not like my old one.  Lastly, the gas cap is self venting instead of the scew vent my original had.  Apparently there were a few leak sources they had to remedy.  Mine was mostly the grommet leak like you had, but I wasn't positive it was the only leak so I just bought the new tank.  If you can get away with fixing it the way you did that's definitely the way to go.

Offline tfdoke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Cool, thanks for the information!  I have contacted Eskimo about getting a free replacement.  Their first reply said something similar to "it is not a common issue, can you please send your purchase info and serial number info and we can see if you are still under warranty".  So I replied back with my info (bought it in 2011 so I am sure it is not under warranty) and I also included some internet links to sites where people complained about the gas leak to sort of show them it might be a common problem.  So we will see what they say.

The gas tank improvements you mentioned do sound good....a new gas tank kit might be a good thing to put on my Xmas list.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.