The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown kokane  (Read 3808 times)

Offline pgsims

• IceShanty Rookie
Georgetown kokane
« on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:00 PM »
I haven't fished for salmon for several years. I understand the flashers being used in ice fishing can be useful. Can anyone fill me in on the use of these devices and the usefulness on this lake?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Georgetown kokane
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:07 PM »
If you don't have one you probably aren't sunk since the max water you will find is right at 20'. If I didn't have a vexilar I would spend 90% of my time at about 8'. The advantage of the flasher, as you know, is to present your jig at at the exact depth each fish under you hole is at.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:10 PM »
How long before the kokes go bad? I was planning on going there the next couple of weekends.

Offline pgsims

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:11 PM »
The areas I fish have clean fish almost all winter.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:15 PM »
The, I'm assuming 4 year old salmon, are and have been in spawning  condition for several months in several locations like the pump house and Dentons. If you don't fish these areas, you will catch your typical Kokanees (bright and silver)

Offline SnowedOutMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:20 PM »
I've never owned a flasher but have been pretty successful with the salmon on Georgetown. If you hit it on a good morning you can catch quite a few just by jigging at different depths. In my experience, the schools come in waves which makes it a lot of fun. The salmon will spawn on the pump house side where the springs come in. I'm assuming that's what you mean when they go bad...
That fish that took my pole down the hole is having a much worse day than I am.

Offline pgsims

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:22 PM »
 I have not fished for a few years. I used to start at about 6:00 at about 12 feet. I fished in about 22 feet of water in an old creek bed. As the morning progressed I would start fishing at 8 - 10 feet and when I could see the jig I would watch the salmon pick at the maggot. Has anything changed in the fishing patterns and is there anything different I can do to improve the catch of these fish?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:23 PM »
Sounds like you are doing what most people do. Just like anywhere else, try different colors and jigs to see what works best.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Yeah, that's what I meant by "go bad". One of my friends has done quite a bit of fishing there.  He told me that if you don't get into them soon enough, they will spawn out and go bad.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:30 PM »
Naw, the bad ones are already bad. Just don't fish those areas and you won't have to worry about spawners.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Sweet...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:38 PM »
I haven't fished for salmon for several years. I understand the flashers being used in ice fishing can be useful. Can anyone fill me in on the use of these devices and the usefulness on this lake?
if you have ahut you will slaughter em....forget the flashers and electronics....site fishin for salmon in 10 feet of water...in a hut....is the only way to go...

Offline pgsims

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2013, 11:56 PM »
I do have a pop-up.  Otherwise I wouldn't be going this Saturday with a high of -2! haha!

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Sight fishing is a great way to go for them.  I am not great at it but my buddy cleans up doing that.  You gotta find them though, which shouldn't be difficult.  I'd recommend getting some big flashy spoons or something to attract them then a finer presentation to hook 'em.  Lots of people use the pimple with a dropper technique and it's produced well as long as I can remember.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:03 AM »
I second the flashy spoon concept. Your fish finder can be empty and as soon as you drop down a big spoon and start jigging, fish show up on cue.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:42 AM »
yes....a big flasher is key....they are kinda spendy but a if you have a 3 inch luhrer Jensen/croc and cut the hook off and then drop a glow hook about 8 inches down below it with maggot..you are good to go.....also have diferrent things to throw at em...a pimple with a nuclear ant or ratsoe is always a good change up....and if you see someone with a bucket of fish.....just ask em...most people on the ice are friendly and are glad to share some of their techniques with ya...good luck.....
by the way...sorry if offended in my rant last nite....an ice fishin site is not the spot to freak out about record cold...but more importantly I apologize that my head was not right....my choice of words were not well thought and were bordenline beligerrent....apologi es again..especially to mf....guess I am already getting a lttle cabin fever...thank god for ice fishin

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2013, 10:47 AM »
Thank you CCC, solid post sir:)

Offline pgsims

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:32 AM »
No offence taken. I almost always fish with a pop up shack and have done so for about 20 years. A propane heater is great and I fish without gloves. I have talked to a few people about new techniques and just wonder if they add to the ability to easily catch more fish, but I really do not feel they add much more to the fishing technique. I don't like the cold but have been there at 40 below also.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I'll should be there tomorrow trying out my "techniques"! Should be a nippy one at -2, although that's much better than the -19 I have right now!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Don't do drugs kids.  ;D

MTA

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:49 AM »
random...

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:13 AM »

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I'll should be there tomorrow trying out my "techniques"! Should be a nippy one at -2, although that's much better than the -19 I have right now!
hey btj.....from all the forecasts I am looking at the lake will be at -20 to -25 tomorrow morning as well.....make sure you have at least 2 cans of propane.....and you are well organized.....you don't want to messing around setting up in those temps...especially if there is any wind...that your auger is firing strong or hand held has sharp blades....that you are familiar with your shelter..some shelters pop up in 30 seconds..others can take a few minutes.....not trying to be a know it all....you probably already are prepared just fine for the cold...just thought id mention that it may be closer to -20 tomorrow morning than minus 2......

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:35 PM »
PINE BEETLES WILL BE DIEING TOMORROW!!!!WOOOOHOOOO!!!!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:56 PM »
DIE BEETLE DIE......they have just decimated the landscape over the last few yrs......

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2013, 02:40 PM »
I guess i'll have to check the forecast again. Maybe i'll tell myself it's -2 to think that it's warmer!

Offline old retired fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2013, 04:35 PM »
I bet more like -30.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:05 PM »
I bet more like -30.
Yep.........forecast minus 24 here in the morning, so I bet you're minus 30 is real close.

Offline Born 2 Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:20 PM »
Looking forward to it! That will toughen up the boys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.