The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: While we're waiting.........  (Read 3585 times)

Offline GFIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: While we're waiting.........
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Robbi. I sent one back  ;D

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:19 AM »
OK........so the dust has settled.  After all the diliberation, research, talking, looking, touching........etc. etc. I went with Lowrance.  I was convinced I wanted to go with Humminbird, then I attended the boat show in GF and chatted with a Lowrance Pro Staff member.  He set my fears to rest about the after sales service and the durability of the Lowrance units.  As it happened, I knew of a good deal on a Lowrance (thanks GFIceman) so that pretty much made the decision.  I went with an HDS 7 with structure scan.  The screen size of 6.4" was one of the important factors in the decision and the down/side imaging I found is pretty important if you take the time to learn how to use it.  So, in  a few weeks when I get the boat out I'll be installing the unit and checking it out.  Next I'll be looking for a unit for the front that will plug into this unit.......Hmmmmm  OR maybe we'll win that HDS 8 that we just bought a raffle ticket for........LOL

Thanks to everyone for their participation in this thread and for all the people I've talked to and explained different things to me.  This was a big decision and very overwhelming and confusing at times........I think we made a good choice......

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:31 AM »
Glad you got it figured out. I'm sure Dale was a big help. I have a HDS7 and love it, never had a problem, just need to add structurescan to it.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Thanks Jerry........it was Scott that I actually talked to, but it's almost like talking to "mini Dale"........LMAOOOO, that's for you Scott......I think we're gonna enjoy the 7 with the DI and SI.....

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:00 PM »
You'll be happy with it Robbi.   I'm getting the HDS 8 this year.   I've got the Humminbird 596 on the Terrova motor up front and I think it works great  for telling me what's coming up when I'm moving. It really shows the weeds on the screen.

Offline JIGEMUP MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Robbi, I was glad to help. I'm sure you will really enjoy that HDS 7 and Structure Scan. Thanks for the "mini-Dale" comment. After all, Dale really has these Lowrance electronics dialed in. Please feel free to contact either of us with any further questions and good luck on the raffle.  Scott Achilles

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2012, 09:12 PM »
I appreciated all the time you took with Julie and I Scott.  It really helped and clarified things for me.  I do like the unit and I have time to read the manuals before installing and using it.  Alot of info to go thru..........Thanks again......I'll be seeing you soon.....

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Thanks Firetrap.........that 8 will be really nice......we're gonna have to head to the lake together one of these weekends when the water opens.......

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Robbi-I bought a 12v transformer from Radio Shack so I could take mine in the house and play with it-updates, etc-and get familar with it. Worked great!!

Offline JIGEMUP MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:11 PM »
Great idea Montanaguy. That is a great way to familiarize yourself with new electronics. Also fun to look at all your waypoints and pre-fish for this season. Update 4.1 is available for the HDS units now, so you can take care of that too. One last note, Dale Gilbert is having a Lowrance clinic in Great Falls on March 3rd. He has a huge amount of helpful info to share. Enjoy your HDS'S.   Scott Achilles

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #40 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:31 PM »
I'm in the market for a new finder/gps this year.  What is the difference between a HDS7 and HDS8 other than the screen size?  I would be buying and installing the unit with structure scan.  I may upgrade my unit first and then add structure scan later this summer.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:01 PM »
The 8 offers more options for splitting the screen-for lots more money!!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:13 PM »
I like that idea Montanaguy.......I'll have to try and make it over there this weekend and pick one up. 

Jay, probably the biggest difference is that the 8 and larger have "soft buttons".  Buttons along the bottom of the screen that are one touch keys for different things.  Such as when you're running downscan and change depths the sonar doesn't switch automatically, you have to go into the program and switch the depth manually.  With the soft keys you can just hit a button and change it........I'm not positive on all the differences but those buttons are one. 

Then of course there is a difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2.  Has to do with capabilities of accepting certain programs such as structuremap. 

But the 2" larger screen is nice too..........

Scott, jump in here ...........Jay meet Scott........LOL

Offline JIGEMUP MT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2012, 10:39 PM »
 The soft keys are a great feature of the HDS 8 and 10. They relate to the active window on the screen. A quicker way to make adjustments. Also on the 8 and 10 you can break up the screen into four windows. With the HDS 7 you can have three windows. The 8 and 10 also have two sd card slots. That makes it really nice when you are running both Navionics and Lowrance Insight HD cards, or a map card and a blank memory card to save data. If any of you guys will be at the WU banquet tomorrow night, we have raffle tickets for an HDS 8 GEN2 w/Insight. Both Dale and I will be there to answer any of your Lowrance questions also.    Scott Achilles

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I'd love to go to the banquet but I'm at work in North Dakota until the 8th of March.  My boat is at Townsend Marine right now.  I'm trying to make up my mind on what I want vs what I really need.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 26, 2012, 12:35 PM »
Jay........Scott has some raffle tickets for a HDS 8...........or a Terrova 80 lb w/I pilot.........1 in 150 chance.........since only 300 tickets are sold.......well worth the $20.00 bucks for the ticket......and it might make the decision for ya on what to get........LOL.  The raffle takes place after all tickets are sold......so need to push em so it's earlier in the year.......LMAOOO

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 26, 2012, 03:47 PM »
I could use both of them!  How do I get tickets?

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 26, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Scott or Dale........here's their site.....it's got phone numbers on it.......http://montanawalleye.com/scott.php

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.