The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: While we're waiting.........  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
While we're waiting.........
« on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:25 PM »
While we're waiting for ice to form and sitting on our thumbs (those of us that aren't brave enough for the current ice conditions, LOL) I've started researching new fish finders for my boat.  I bought the boat last year and this years upgrade is a new finder.  Currently I have an antique Interphase, works ok, but not perfectly.  I've been looking at what I want, 1.  A finder with GPS, 2. Color (seems like a $200 option but nice to have)3. Would like to have a 7" screen, but really don't want to spend that kind of money.  Those of you with 5" screens let me know what you think, is it plenty?  4. Transom transducer with temp and speed 5. Either have installed or equipped for Navionics card

So those with boats and fish finders let me know what you use, why you use it and any other items that you may have that enhance the performance.

I really like the looks of the Lowrance, but the more reviews I read the less I trust I'll be getting a quality product.  Many seem to think Hummingbird is the way to go.  Then there is Garmin...........

So many options and choices have me totally confused.............. .And oh yeah........I would like to stay within $700.00 if possible.........I just saw a great deal in a Cabela's flyer, but unfortunately I won't be able to buy until late March/April when my construction picks back up again........And actually my finance' and I are talking about buying it for each other for our anniversary on April 7th..........

Thanks for the input, I know there will be alot........

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: While we're waiting.........
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:36 PM »
The Lowrance elite 5 you can use for fishing the hard water and will do all the things you ask for in the boat.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I'll be watching this thread pretty close robbi, I'm thinking about upgrading as well.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Whatever one you buy, let me know becasue I have the Navionics Hot Maps Platinum chip I'll sell you...Bought it not realizing it won't work in my "non HDS" Lowrance...

Unless I talk myself into a new unit this year, I'll still have it in Mar/April!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Sounds Good PA......I'll let you know........

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:00 AM »
Hummingbird 788ci gps/sonar.For the price it's a great unit.I love my side view.
BBJ

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Bought an HDS-7 when we bought our boat 3 years ago, and it's absolutely great. Lots of money, I know, but well worth it. We have navionics and use it lots-amazing how many more fish we catch when we know the bottom. Even more amazing in places like Holter where the bottom doesn't follow the shoreline as one would think. Have had 0 problems with it and Lowrance puts out updates to the software as needed. Couldn't be more pleased. They were on sale at Scheels the other day. Don't have Structurescan on ours, whish we did. The new ones with the package are a good deal.
Good luck!!

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:10 PM »
HDS-7 on sale at Billings Cabelas for 600.00  200 off there and then there is a 200 rebate also. Was thinking about getting one. Sale goes until the 16th.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:42 AM »
The HDS 7 is actually finder  "I want" and really wish I could take advantage of that sale and rebate......just isn't a good time for me to buy.  Jerry......we have to get together for coffee so you can tell me about it..........

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2012, 02:49 AM »
BBJ......I like the 640x640 the Humminbird offers........how is the 5" screen? and what does sideview do for you..........

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Bump

Hoping for more feedback........before it gets lost in the archives.........

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:13 PM »
Robbi,
It's good and clear,the side veiw I realy like for seeing whats under and beside your boat as far as seeing what strutcher is there,you upload the Navionics card also.It's very cool.
BBJ

Offline NINERDAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:19 AM »
I RESEARCHED AND AGONIZED ON SPENDING THE MONEY BOUGHT THE HUMMINGBIRD 988
WITH DOWN IMAGE AND SIDE SCAN FOR MYSELF FOR CHRISTMAS NOW JUST HAVE TO INSTALL IT

Offline IAMONTHEGO247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:38 AM »
I just surprised myself with a Humminbird ice 385 ci ;D seems to be a nice unit. It comes with everything needed for 400.00 if you shop a little(nice case, battery, ice transducer, charger and there offering a free portable transducer for your boat right now).I have used it on the ice with the flasher mode a couple times now. It seems to work very well compared to my buds marcum. The nice thing is you pull it out of the portable case and mount it in the boat and its a GPS fishfinder as well with SD card slot for maps (I believe Navionics). find your spots....mark um..... and you know exactly where to go when the ice hits ;D ;D ;D ;D I will keep you all updated through the season when it hits the boat.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2012, 10:51 AM »
I've got the Humminbird 385 also, and really like it. I still need to get the Navionics card for it, but so far I really like how it works. I did send in for the boat transducer, but haven't seen it yet. My brother has a Lowrance HDS-5 that he bought the ice package for and it works great too. I just have never understood the old school guys and their being stuck to a flasher. These new graphs with GPS's are way more machine, in my opinion. @)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:59 AM »
I haven't seen too many if any bad reviews on Humminbird.  What's the 3.5 inch screen like.........I will be mounting the finder in the dash of my boat and most of the time I am in the drivers seat, but I do stand and move around also.  This is probably my biggest concern since I want to be able to glance at it from anywhere in the boat and see the depth, speed and of course fish on the screen.  When I mount the new one I'm going to move the old one to the front of the boat or in front of the windshield so that anyone fishing up front will be able to see it.   I'm even nervous to go with a 5" screen.  The old Interphase I've got has a big screen and can be seen from the back of the boat with the exception of the smaller depth numbers I suppose. 

I appreciate everyone's input, because like ninerdan I've researched and agonized and am paralyzed with confusion over all that is out there........LOL

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2012, 01:07 AM »
ninerdan...........the 988 looks like a first class set up.........unfortunate ly I didn't hit the Montana Millionaire drawing on New Years.........so...... ..LOL

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:13 AM »
So my fiance' Jules got her taxes figured out and was telling me about it.  I never plan anything with her money, so I was listening to her and she says.......I'm getting enough back to use part of it towards our new fish finder.........!!!!  Damn I'm a lucky man........I love that woman!!!!  :)

I'm pretty set on going with Humminbird now........just gotta find the right one for the right price..........

Offline IAMONTHEGO247

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:04 AM »
I picked up the 385CI for myself this year for ice fishing ;D seems like a very nice unit. I like the fact that you can use it as a flasher or on the boat ;Dfor a reasonable price (400.00 if you shop a little)!!! I have used it for ice fishing and really like the flasher option. can't wait to get the boat out and check out the rest of the features ;D I will post more when I get the boat out

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Sounds good.......there are so many and so much info out there it's confusing and overwhelming to say the least......but, little by little I'm narrowing it down, like going Humminbird........cuz of the many reviews I've seen they come out on top.......now for whittling away at the options I want or need and what I don't need to pay for.........lol

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in... I use a Humminbird 898 at the console and a 788 DI at the bow.  Last fall I bought the ice kit and ducer for the 788 and LOVE IT!!!  Previously I only used a Showdown for ice fishing, but I've since given it to my son who likes watching 'TV' to catch fish. It's a great unit, but with the gps capabilities and the 5" graph showing 'history' I now prefer the 788.  Plus it's linked to my 898, so before I pull it from the boat I download my waypoints from summer fishing into the 788 and fish those spots in winter.  I'd go with a 5" screen again, but probably not get the DI for the front as the DI doesn't work with the Universal Sonar2 in the Minn Kota.  Also the DI doesn't work with the iceducer either, so I spent an extra $100 for something I don't use!  Oh well, at least it was on sale!  I don't know if this helps or opens up a whole new can of worms, but something to think about waiting to see if the ice holds or not ;).  Good fishin' - OH

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Thanks OUTHNTN.........I'm looking at the 788 without DI........or the 597.......besides price is there a big difference?  I've got a vexilar FL20, but I would be interested in having the second for ice than we don't have to fight over the vex.......lol.

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:16 AM »
Robbi, honestly I'm not sure if there is much of a difference?!  Being able to link the 597 to another unit may be though?!  - OH

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2012, 09:15 AM »
LOL.........well...... ...over the weekend I took Jules out to look at sonars so she could see more than what's on the computer.  She could touch and push buttons etc. etc.   We are now trying to figure out how to afford an 898.  Jules normally fishes from the rear of the boat while I'm at the console.  She's not sure she can see the 5" screen from back there.....LMAOOO  So in her opinion we should have a bigger screen.  The 898 is a fine unit by the looks of it.  So more to come.  Everytime I think I have it narrowed down another hitch is thrown in.........Cabela's has a pretty good deal right now for their Club members.......no interest, no payments for a year so that is plenty of time to pay it off especially since the original payment that we thought we'd be paying for a 597 will be made right away........

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2012, 10:07 AM »
TOO MANY CHOICES!!!  I know how you feel!  3 summers ago I put a 798 on the console and an old 3" humminbird up front.  Decided everything was too small so that winter l upgraded to an 898 at the console and moved the 798 up front.  Last summer I sold the 798 to a friend and then put the 788 DI up front as it was on sale and I couldn't use the side imaging on the 798 w/ the ducer in the Minn Kota.  Then found out I couldn't use the down imaging in the 788 with the US2 either!!  To make it even more frustrating, I purchased a new boat this fall and now must move everything over to it :-\I guess a little research would have helped, but I've used the 788 this winter every trip.  One more thing to consider is the 898 is too big to fit into the ice pack kit from Humminbird, so I keep the 898 on the boat and use the 788 off the bow in the ice pack.  Makes the 788 a dual season finder and it also has a flasher view built in.  Gives you a little more bang for the buck IMO.  Anyway, good luck and have fun narrowing down the choices.  Can't go wrong with any of the HB units and I absolutely love the down/side imaging on the 898.  I've found structure that I never knew existed on lakes I've fished since I was a kid and the 898 down imaging is much better than the 798 is.  I found an old sumberged tree lying on the bottom of Fort Peck last fall in 190 fow using the DI and pulled out 2 macs jigging around it!  Now for those pesky salmon... - OH

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Robbi, sent you a pm/email... - OH

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:02 PM »
On Here?......nothing in my box.......

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:05 PM »
Just checked my hotmail........got it......LOL.....anothe r hitch......

Offline GFIceMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I have a Lowrance HDS 7 - Basemap for sale. LIGHTLY used!!! Less than a year old. Only been used 12 days. Let me know if anybody is interested!!!!

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2012, 05:33 PM »
Sent you a PM GFIceman.........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.