The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: State perch derby  (Read 3744 times)

Offline team lewistown

• IceShanty Rookie
State perch derby
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:06 AM »
 :)Dave Snyder  team lewistown hello everbody, this is my first post. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have visited with the organizers of the perch assult a couple of times and  they  have the same dream I do and that is to have a sate perch championchip. This is just the start of the organizing and we are just  starting to figure out how to accomplish this task. All input and recommendations on how to put this on as well as all the help we can get will be huge help. Also we are fishermen and not everything will be perfect. We will learn as we go. I am trying to get all tournament organizers interested and on the same page so we can coordinate our efforts to do this together. I would like to use all perch tournaments as qualifiers to the state championchip. Eastfork, canyonferry, and perch assult as well as any other perch tourneys. If you know of any others please let me know. The first challenge we have is all the tourneys have different rules and different numbers of team mates as well as single people tourneys. The idea I have is each tourney has a ten team or people qualifier and each tourney qualifies ten teams or ten people whom will after they qualify, they will chose a partner they chose. The state tourney will be two man teams. we will pick a neutral lake like Tiber and fish Tiber two days. Canyonferry has three team members on a team so they will qualify 5 two man teams  and the single guy on the five teams left over can choose a second teammate and fish the tourney. That would give them ten teams. Many other details need to be worked out. All the rules and regs plus getting permission from the fwp. I would like to assemble six to seven members to put together a state perch committee and put this together. Please nominate a person you think could really help put this together. We will have to meet to form this tourney, make the rules, find sponcers, get posters made, apply for the tourney and start advertising. My name is Dave Snyder, you can contact me at 1-406 366 9055 we need to get started now to make this work.       

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: State perch derby
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM »
:)Dave Snyder  team lewistown hello everbody, this is my first post. I have been thinking about this for awhile. I have visited with the organizers of the perch assult a couple of times and  they  have the same dream I do and that is to have a sate perch championchip. This is just the start of the organizing and we are just  starting to figure out how to accomplish this task. All input and recommendations on how to put this on as well as all the help we can get will be huge help. Also we are fishermen and not everything will be perfect. We will learn as we go. I am trying to get all tournament organizers interested and on the same page so we can coordinate our efforts to do this together. I would like to use all perch tournaments as qualifiers to the state championchip. Eastfork, canyonferry, and perch assult as well as any other perch tourneys. If you know of any others please let me know. The first challenge we have is all the tourneys have different rules and different numbers of team mates as well as single people tourneys. The idea I have is each tourney has a ten team or people qualifier and each tourney qualifies ten teams or ten people whom will after they qualify, they will chose a partner they chose. The state tourney will be two man teams. we will pick a neutral lake like Tiber and fish Tiber two days. Canyonferry has three team members on a team so they will qualify 5 two man teams  and the single guy on the five teams left over can choose a second teammate and fish the tourney. That would give them ten teams. Many other details need to be worked out. All the rules and regs plus getting permission from the fwp. I would like to assemble six to seven members to put together a state perch committee and put this together. Please nominate a person you think could really help put this together. We will have to meet to form this tourney, make the rules, find sponcers, get posters made, apply for the tourney and start advertising. My name is Dave Snyder, you can contact me at 1-406 366 9055 we need to get started now to make this work.       
welcome to iceshanty i started a post a couple of days ago for you responce has been good look for best of the best state derby
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Welcome to the Shanty Dave. I think this is a great idea.  I think you guys are on the right track. 

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:45 AM »
Hey Dave welcome to IS.
I have a suggestion.Why don't you just open it to the State.Any two-man team can fish take the top 10% and fish the 2nd day for the state championship.
or am I missing something.
Thanks
BBJ

Offline coolfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I like to fish in the Back Yard Little Samon
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:49 AM »
How is the ice fishing in Mccall
Bob

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Lewistown, MT not Lewiston, ID
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Mr.GoldyEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2011, 05:54 PM »
It would be easier and wise, to have all the qualifying tournaments exactly the same, would it be possible to add a few qualifiers and base them on the rules of the Perch Assault?  For the Perch Assault is really the best tournament layout in the state, modeled after professional tournaments.  This to me would seem like the very best way to determine the best perch fisherman in the state, if that's what the goal of the proposed Championship would be.

Offline snakeyes_981984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:49 PM »
The Qualifiers are a good idea but you should include lakes like upper Thompson lake or the whole chain of lakes. Just a suggestion though and i don't have any ideas on people but you talk to the owners of the McGregor lake resort the run one hell of a tournament at that lake.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Not everyone can take off for two days,why not make it a one day event?

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im on the ice right now, or wishing i was
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:49 PM »
2 day tournament is more on the table,.... This sounds great...   :clap: hope to see it go through

:o            :icefish:
Every one can go fishing, " not every one can catch fish

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Two days VS one...If we do a "neutral" lake, where no other events are done, then everybody faces the same challenge of a "new" lake...except for those folks who live close and fish it regularly.  If you do a one dayer, then the advantage is highly in the locals favor.

A two dayer, even if locals pre fish it, the advantage becomes less for the locals as everyone has the first day to "acclimate" and perhaps make up for it on day two...that is the benefit of a two day event, and was very evident at the Lewistown derby.

This will be a pretty major event, and like most major tournaments, you have to put your time in, and that may mean taking a day or two off from work to do it...This is where the difference between a "tournament" and a "derby" start to become clear.

just my .02
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:38 PM »
most of the tournement regs are out of work/retired anyways so i guess you will just weed out the employed who cant afford the travel and two days....The lewiston touney was being prefished DAYs ahead by at least one team from right here in helena.There is no NEUTRAL lake(unless you have a private pond),there will always be locals and those with nothing better to do than show up days ahead of time to prefish.The only way to prevent an advantage is announce the lake the day before...

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Sounds good! Let's do it, Ill  fish against old farts and guys that can't by the gear!

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2011, 03:10 PM »
If mike howe and Dave team up on this, we could have one of the best turnys in the state!!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2011, 05:55 PM »
most of the tournement regs are out of work/retired anyways so i guess you will just weed out the employed who cant afford the travel and two days....The lewiston touney was being prefished DAYs ahead by at least one team from right here in helena.There is no NEUTRAL lake(unless you have a private pond),there will always be locals and those with nothing better to do than show up days ahead of time to prefish.The only way to prevent an advantage is announce the lake the day before...

Not trying to start an argument here, but I dont know where you came to that conclusion.  I have been promoting ice events for 6 years, and more than half of the folks who fish my perch assaults want to know the dates as soon as possible, so they can arrange their time off.  Its a matter of priorities, just like taking a week to go to a NASCAR race, or elk hunting, or fishing in Alaska or whatever. 

Bass and walleyes tours have the same consequence, locals would obviously be the favorites, yet they are regularly beat by traveling pro's...As for guys pre-fishing for days on end before the tournament, thats why we put a 36 hour pre fish moratorium on Perch Assaults...give the resource a rest after its been hit hard for the week or so prior.

If you arent able to put in the time, you may get beat.  On the other hand, if you are at least familiar with the water, you always stand a chance, it is FISHING after all, and the fish have to co-operate.  As for naming the water the day before, we have to submit for tournaments 6 months in advance, so that wont work  I have toyed with the idea of setting specific boundaries on the lake for the day, announced that morning, but that brings a certain set of problems with it as well.

As I mentioned earlier, this is where tournaments start to seperate themselves from derbies, and if its your priority to be a serious competitor in fishing contests, you have to look for whatever angle you can find.  There are plenty of "fun" derbies out there that are mo0re geared for the folks who just want to go and have fun.  Our idea behind the Perch Assaults were to have a competitive series on the ice, that paid well and makes it worthwhile for folks who are good anglers to travel and try their luck.  Dont forget, we give away thousands of dollars worth of prizes every year, and all you have to do is show up to win those!

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2011, 06:00 PM »
and catch one fish
love my fl-12 mike
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:34 PM »
most of the tournament regs are out of work/retired anyways so i guess you will just weed out the employed who cant afford the travel and two days....The lewiston tourney was being prefished DAYs ahead by at least one team from right here in helena.There is no NEUTRAL lake(unless you have a private pond),there will always be locals and those with nothing better to do than show up days ahead of time to prefish.The only way to prevent an advantage is announce the lake the day before...

That's why most guys that are dedicated to win, If u cant afford it don't join this cost allot of $ for all that are involved, and prefishing is the only way u can learn the fish, that's half the fun! MIKE your right on with how you run things stay on your game and good job!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:15 PM »
That's why most guys that are detected to win, If u cant afford it don't join this cost allot of $ for all that are involved, and prefishing is the only way u can learn the fish, that's half the fun! MIKE your right on with how you run things stay on your game and good job!
Thats how they find a winner they "detect" them.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I came to that conclusion because everyone I know who does your perch assault is either 1: retired or 2: layed off during the winter.As far as...
"36 hour pre fish moratorium on Perch Assaults" we both know that was neither monitored or enforced,you cant keep anyone from fishing a public body of water.Not to mention I wouldnt spend the time and money to attend a tournament that could be canceled at a moments notice because there MAY be someone trying to cheat,ruining everything for everyone not just the people causing problems,I  know people that lost at lot they had invested last time,money invested,time taken off,ect,ect, BTW not trying to start an argument,but I "detect" a hijack.

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2011, 09:42 PM »
HEY COLE ..lets try to help this thing work, don't cry about the past lets work on this tourney....  :%$#!:

This is a great idea and hope we FISHERMAN can HELP OUT with putting this together,

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Sorry FFL,you let me know when you get everything figured out and Ill quit my job so I can attend,now that you are in charge here Im sure you can get things straightened out.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Well, I guess we know where Nonya stands...Sorry you are so bitter about something that I did to try and protect everyone elses money and the integrity of the tournaments themselves. ???

Want a one day tournament?  Put one on yourself, there are hundreds of guys that will participate. ;D

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Don't sweat it mike everyone else thinks you and dave do a great job and if they only knew half of what it took to put these things on they might change their attitude
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:53 PM »
I dont see how ruining the tourney for everyone protects anything but the name of the guilty,the cheaters should have been called out,exempted from the event and the guys that worked their ass's off should have been able to finish.If thats the way your going to run it anyone with a grudge against the front runners can plant a bucket of perch and ruin it for everyone.I know how much work is involved,what I dont know is why you were willing to pi$$ it all away after so many people spent so much time making it to the last event with a chance of winning because a couple turds who couldnt handle coming in second got caught cheating.It seemed at the time that it was canceled more to prevent the cheaters from being named than to protect the integrity of the event,wernt they previous winners?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:57 PM »
I already apologized dude...you had zero interest in it, and you obviously never will.  How come no one that was directly impacted by it is as pissed off about it as you are?

When you ever get put in the position I was put in, handle it your way.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:57 AM »
Hey NONYA,
You turned this thread into something other than what it was intended to be.   I don't think it is the forums intention to criticize other members ideas and washing it to dwell on the past of a specific event. This forum is suppose to be a friendly atmosphere for information on fishing. 

I know you fish a lot, give us some positive info, don't be so grumpy.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fish to live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2011, 11:02 AM »
)Ya Nonya is a total hypocrite, why did u nonya go fish Augusta derby, that's the most loosely run tourney I've ever been in u could bring a fish from another lake and know one would even know, u think someone like u would not fish this derby being how you know how to run pro tournament! ....LOL ..on u NoNYa. 

Ps I do like the Augusta derby just making my point

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:38 PM »
But it is OK to criticize my ideas?Hypocrite is right.I fished with your cousin today FFL,you should spend more time on the ice and less talkin trash.

Offline team lewistown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:39 PM »
Wow :( I cant believe all of the negativity from fellow fisherman. Especially Nona. For your info Nona I took two days off two go to the perch assault last year and traveled to kalispell  only to find out the night before that it was canceled. I have to admit that at first I was mad but it soon became frustration towards the cheaters. Then I had concern about the tourney organizers, because I know how much work it takes to put on a tourney, and how long it takes. I grantee that when they had to cancel the tourney it hurt them far more than we will ever know. Look one year latter and they are still hearing negative things about what happened. I think they handled it the best they could. When you put a year into something and someone even accuses some of cheating at my tourney it really hurts my feelings and heart. I have found that no matter how many rules you put in and how hard you try if someone really wants to cheat they will find a way. I dont let it consume my life. I love fishing tourneys.
Now on to the state derby, One day tourney would be Little short. In my op ion trying to win a tournament takes consistency, trying to put two good days together. Not every rule will make every fisherman happy. All we can do is try to make as fair as possible to everybody. Prefishing has always been controversial. I dint know what the farest answer is. I dint think there is one. I know in bass tourneys they don't allow prefishing 7 days before a tourney. Unfortunately what happens is they just sent out their friends who were not fish in the tourney and they fish and find fish which they just gps and give the pros the gps marks. All we can do is try to go on the honer system.
Just to let everbody know not one local won top 4 places at our derby this year. It was all out of towners. Also my team took 2 at the canyonferry derby this last weekend and we are not locals. We had never fished as a teem before nor have we fished the lake for a year. So All the BS about locals having an advantage can be true but I dont let it get me down.       

Offline Ketchnrelease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:22 AM »
When you put a year into something and someone even accuses some of cheating at my tourney it really hurts my feelings and heart.

I know what you mean, I have fished the East Fork Derby since year 2.  The first year I came up I got lucky enough to land a nice perch that ended up being the biggest.  A couple of years later my partner did the same thing.  This year I was up and had a guy tell me that someone who worked at Yellowstone Gateway down in Four corners was telling folks about the cheating team that was bringing up old frozen perch that were way to big to come out of East Fork (which led to a change in the rules!)  Made me feel like a criminal, but I guess that's the way it goes, its just too bad the folks who saw the fish flopping on the weigh table didn't speak up!
  As we all know, the strictest of rules only keep the honest folks honest, and most of us are in this thing for he fun of the game, not the payoff.  There are much easier ways to get paid than scheming up a way to cheat a fishing derby!

Keep up the good work Dave, your tournament has been a highlight of my fishing season for several years, and you guys do a fantastic job.  I would love to be fortunate enough to qualify for the big one next winter!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.