The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice shanty or gas powered auger any oppinions?  (Read 4258 times)

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shanty or gas powered auger any oppinions?
« on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:05 PM »
i am going to buy one of these but i cant make up my mind...wish i could buy both right now any opinions on which i should go for

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice shanty or gas powered auger any oppinions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:07 PM »
If you already have a hand auger, I would opt for the shanty.
The power auger will make you comfortable for a few seconds,
 a shanty will make you comfortable all day!
Get bit!

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2010, 03:10 PM »
If you already have a hand auger, I would opt for the shanty.
The power auger will make you comfortable for a few seconds,
 a shanty will make you comfortable all day!
Thats true thanks

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:21 PM »
I'd go auger...but thats just me
You can build a reasonable shanty for not to much money
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:59 PM »
I would go for the auger. Drilling holes by hand is way over rated. You can dress for the cold.
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:28 PM »
I vote for Shanty. 

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I was in the same boat as you. I went with the shanty first then a year or two got the auger then this year got a flasher.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:09 PM »
I think depends on how much ice you have to drill through.  But I would suggest buy the auger and build your own shack till you can save up enough to buy one if you ever want to.  there are lots of great ideas for shack on here if you look through past posts.  in the past i have built a few portables and you really don't get too much into them.  Another idea is craigs list or buy used auger then maybe could have enough for a used shack too, could get both used for the price of one thing new maybe.  Good luck this winter.

Offline Nerka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:31 PM »
I vote shanty also.  Aside from the obvious wind blocking and solar radiation achieved with the shanty, the added bonus is the blackout factor.  Being able to see fish through the hole has greatly increased the number i can manage to hook.  I think many will agree.  Now if you're drilling through 2.5 feet of ice on every outing, all bets are off, I'd go with a better drill, and build a shelter for the mean time.  Good Fishing.

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:35 PM »
I say get the Shanty, go to Costco they have the quick set 3 for like 230 bucks. Watch craigslist for an auger. I will sell you my quickflip 2 with cover and tow bar for 275 or a good offer! Leaves some left over for an auger. I bought my Jiffy drill from a guy at work for 150, only used 2 times. Buy used save some money!

Offline joshy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:55 PM »
I vote auger.  you can dress warm or even cut a few holes in the bottom of a cheap tent, but a power auger let you fish faster and you can move around more to find the fish!

Offline ARMY1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:56 PM »
Heres my 2 cents. I bought the shelter and a hand auger and used that for my first two years. I wanted to take the family out with me and I know without a doubt there were some days that we would not have been out for more than half an hour without the pop up. I just purchased a power auger (yesterday in fact) and can say that it took a lot of the work out of icefishing.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:17 PM »
shanty for sure.  I just got both for christmas and have gone twice.  I left the power auger home both times.  It's never been fired up.  They are really heavy and hard to transport.  Unless you have more than two feet of ice, and a four wheeler, the hand auger is way more convenient. 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I started with a hand auger and a 'hand-me-down' one man collapsable shack made of plywood and a tarp.  I didn't move around a lot after 20" of ice cuz it wore me out and I was young then...it was just too easy to stay put.

Gas Auger first....you can build an easy shack out of a couple pieces of plywood, some hinges and a cheap $5 tarp to keep you warm that collapses and is easy to pull with all your stuff on it....I did it for a long time and it kept me on fish.

Here would be my priorities....
1.  Gas auger to keep me mobile and on fish
2.  Vexilar to tell me if there are fish in the holes I am digging and how they are reacting/not reacting to my presentation.
3.  Build a shack with plywood floor, hinged door and window walls with a cheap blue tarp over the top for less than $80 to get me and a fishing partner out of the wind

When you get a little more established, a heater for the shack would be next, then a fancy pantsy shack in whatever color you like..... ;D

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2010, 10:50 PM »
x2 With huntr. I used a plywood and tarp hut for a couple of years untill I could get the money for a shack. If the ice is 2ft thick and its a nice day how much would you move if you had to hand drill. Good luck and stay safe.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:58 PM »
I would get the shanty first.  The first thing I got was a hand auger and a fish finder, then an Eskimo Quick Flip.  Obviously, you need some way to drill through the ice, and a fish finder makes all of the difference.  The shanty will keep you warmer, offers wind protection, and you can see down the hole better. Then I got a second fish finder.  It's been seven years, and I am just now thinking about buying a power auger.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I suppose it depends on what kind of fishing you're doing and WHO'S GONNA BE WITH YOU.  My finance' fishes with me, so comfort is the order of the day.  If it was just me alone, I would opt for the power auger so I could move faster and easier.  But, I wouldn't keep Jules fishing for long if we didn't have a way to get out of the wind.  I bought a Shappell 6000 for $210.00 at big bear and it fits the bill perfectly.  I couldn't have built a shack any cheaper.  I use to build them in Alaska and priced most of the stuff for it.......it's cheaper, but not by a large margin and the Shappell is much easier to use.  For Jules I will continue to drill with a hand auger.  She thinks we need a vexilar or marcum next, so not sure if I'll be hand drilling next year again........LOL

Offline Toadslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Gas Auger!! not even a question if you ever plan on fishing Canyon Ferry.  We always fish with 6 rods, and move quite often.  Just go on the nice days if you are worried about a shelter.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:45 PM »
Well how many poles or tip ups you intend to run will answer that question for you.  If you run all the poles you can, maybe the auger is a good idea.  Ice thickness also factors in.  I have found that two good holes with one or more of those holes producing fish is more than one guy can manage.  Your greatest advantage is the ability to eliminate unnecessary holes with the addition of a flasher/finder.  If you drill and can't mark fish or structure, re-drill in another location.  This is where your efficiency and success come into play.  If the ice isn't unmanageable, you can literally run around with your hand auger in one hand and a flasher in the other until you get a decent mark.  Then you can set up a shack if you have one.  There are times where we don't set up a shack for hours until we locate a good mark on the vex.  In my opinion, a hand auger and flasher is the way to go.  Expense to success ratio is way higher than having the ability to tirelessly drill thousands of useless holes.  Flasher first, shack second, gas auger last.  P.S.  I can't go alone to ice fish if I intend to use my flip over, and gas auger because there is no way to transport both, if fishing in new waters.  Just too much to carry or haul around.   

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:52 PM »
Well how many poles or tip ups you intend to run will answer that question for you.  If you run all the poles you can, maybe the auger is a good idea.  Ice thickness also factors in.  I have found that two good holes with one or more of those holes producing fish is more than one guy can manage.  Your greatest advantage is the ability to eliminate unnecessary holes with the addition of a flasher/finder.  If you drill and can't mark fish or structure, re-drill in another location.  This is where your efficiency and success come into play.  If the ice isn't unmanageable, you can literally run around with your hand auger in one hand and a flasher in the other until you get a decent mark.  Then you can set up a shack if you have one.  There are times where we don't set up a shack for hours until we locate a good mark on the vex.  In my opinion, a hand auger and flasher is the way to go.  Expense to success ratio is way higher than having the ability to tirelessly drill thousands of useless holes.  Flasher first, shack second, gas auger last. P.S.  I can't go alone to ice fish if I intend to use my flip over, and gas auger because there is no way to transport both, if fishing in new waters.  Just too much to carry or haul around.  

Making lots of holes to find active fish is exactly why you want a power auger to start with....the rest is icing on the cake to become more efficient.  Drill holes, jig em up....move on....repeat as necessary.

I use my flip over for a sled and it makes getting around pretty easy....jiggin poles, minnows/bait, heater/tank, tipups, hole scoop, lunch, FL-8, 20 year old Lazer on top with a bungee to make sure it doesn't roll on its side and leak fuel.....works great for me!!  If it doesn't fit in or on the flip over, it stays home.... ;D

Not arguing, just saying it depends on your particular situation.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:32 PM »
No arguing, upland, the idea is to catch fish, not drill holes.  I guess if you didn't have a flasher, the auger would be an absolute necessity!!!!  You don't have to drill a thousand holes before you catch fish, you only need one if your jigging, and a few if you run tip ups.  I won't sit on a spot that clearly doesn't mark, in the off chance a fish may swim by.  If I am familiar with the lake, and know that fish should be there, but not marking, I will set up a tip up.  You can't make an argument that given a body of water, familiar with it or not, that your flasher isn't your best friend out there.  Whether or not you have one hole or ten.  A flasher can eliminate a hole in seconds while another guy spends ten minutes jiigging it to get the same result.  I print a lake map of all the lakes I intend to fish.  I pick spots where I think the fish are, and start there.  Drill "one" hole and drop in the vex.  Yes or no...  It absolutely depends on your situation....  shacks are for comfort and and an auger is for convenience, a flasher is for catching fish most efficiently.  Again, flasher, shack, auger. 

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Yep, but the original question was.......shanty or auger......therefore my answer is auger, not flasher.... ;D ;D ;D

I have had to drill close to 100 holes to find active fish, flasher or not, so that is why I stick with my original answer.

I'd like to go with you where you only need to drill one or two holes to catch fish....I can be available whenever you want to head out....seriously! ;D

Offline snakeyes_981984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2011, 06:31 PM »
Have to be honest i have had a gas auger for 2 years and an ice house for a year and the auger was the actual life saver until i got my sonar that is what i would by first is a sonar but if you already have one then the auger.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:06 PM »
100 holes a day...  holy hell...  I will bet I've drilled no more than ten on any given day.  Get a lake map, they are free on the internet or a few bucks at a local baitshop.  Look for a drop or ledge and drill a couple holes until you mark something.  I know that the crappie are in ten to fifteen feet and the gills a bit shallower.  The trout are in anything less than 20.  I am shocked at that number.  I will not argue with you there...  power auger for sure!!!  I can't intelligently defend the need to drill that many holes using a hand auger.  If that is what ice fishing is like in Montana, I would leave the shack at home and carry the power auger a bucket and the vex only.  Maybe you can help me out...  How do you keep the auger from leaking onto your sled???

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:08 PM »
I usually won't even start fishing till i've punched at least 15-20 holes ;D ;D
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline ibboydb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:54 PM »
I am looking real close @ a package offered @ Cabelas (I know), Eskimo gas 8" auger and 2 man about $450.00 in Billings last Wednesday the 30th

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:58 PM »
100 holes a day...  holy hell...  I will bet I've drilled no more than ten on any given day.  Get a lake map, they are free on the internet or a few bucks at a local baitshop.  Look for a drop or ledge and drill a couple holes until you mark something.  I know that the crappie are in ten to fifteen feet and the gills a bit shallower.  The trout are in anything less than 20.  I am shocked at that number.  I will not argue with you there...  power auger for sure!!!  I can't intelligently defend the need to drill that many holes using a hand auger.  If that is what ice fishing is like in Montana, I would leave the shack at home and carry the power auger a bucket and the vex only.  Maybe you can help me out...  How do you keep the auger from leaking onto your sled???

Crank up that new power auger and I bet you will.....I wouldn't either with a hand auger.... ::) ;D  That was up on Oahe in SD and there is a little more water to cover and depths to check than most waters in your area of Nebraska.  Also it was with 4 family and friends and I had the only power auger.  Not sure that they aren't fishing a lot of large reservoirs in MT that would require the same.  Different style of fishing for sure....not stocked little rainbows on corn to fill the time  ::)

Lake maps get you close, but if you can drill a hole through 2 feet of ice exactly on a drop that is holding actively feeding fish of the species you desire, then a hand auger is all you need.  What if the fish are above the drop, or below, or not there at all and you need a different spot?  What happens throughout the day as they transition from one area to another?  What do you do when the active fish in a school shut off?  Dig more holes is what I do to stay on active fish.

If all you fish is 'home water' and you know it like the back of your hand, you are still going to punch more than one or two holes to find active fish.

Most everyone I fish with hauls their power auger around in their flip over, that's what they are for.  If it makes a guy nervous, buy a little kiddie sled to pull your auger in behind the flip over.  Simple.

Everbody's style is different, and it sounds like you have it dialed in for the way you fish.  I haven't gotten there, yet.  

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just giving my thoughts behind my answer to the original post.  Power auger all the way!!

PS - I live in Nebraska, also, so none of my comments are specific to Montana.....jeesh

Offline greenmonster57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:21 PM »
I would definitely go with auger then shanty.  we rarely even bring our shelter with us anymore. we like to troll though, (drill about 15 holes at different depths and go from hole to hole finding the active spots.)  I will fish a hole and if i dont see activity in 10 to 15min i move on.  i figure the more ground you can cover the better.  I dont even start to fish until i have about 10 to 15 holes in the ice.  if it is slow fishing we will drill sometimes as many as 30 to 50 holes.  although on a side note i would go fishing in sandals before i went without my vexilar. that would be my 1st purchase if you dont already have one of those. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 01, 2011, 08:46 PM »
I would definitely go with auger then shanty.  we rarely even bring our shelter with us anymore. we like to troll though, (drill about 15 holes at different depths and go from hole to hole finding the active spots.)  I will fish a hole and if i dont see activity in 10 to 15min i move on.  i figure the more ground you can cover the better.  I dont even start to fish until i have about 10 to 15 holes in the ice.  if it is slow fishing we will drill sometimes as many as 30 to 50 holes.  although on a side note i would go fishing in sandals before i went without my vexilar. that would be my 1st purchase if you dont already have one of those. 
That was my point, make sure you have a flasher first.  I guess I spent too much time and energy explaining myself.  I do drill more holes than two, just to find fish and I am happy to drill more if need be.  My point is do your research and know the lake a little bit.  I did put in my post that we rarely set the shack up right away, which is why I asked about where you keep an auger.  I understand the sled is for hauling things, that's why I bought it.  However, you have to open up your cover and dig to get it out, or lay it across the top and get gas and oil all over it.  I couldn't see where you were from upland, that's why I was being respectful about it.  I don't fish montana, never have...  things are probably different there than the puddles we fish around here.  And....  I love trout, stocked or not.  I guess I'm not as cool as someone who catches a real live trout. 

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:14 PM »
That was my point, make sure you have a flasher first.  I guess I spent too much time and energy explaining myself.  I do drill more holes than two, just to find fish and I am happy to drill more if need be.  My point is do your research and know the lake a little bit.  I did put in my post that we rarely set the shack up right away, which is why I asked about where you keep an auger.  I understand the sled is for hauling things, that's why I bought it.  However, you have to open up your cover and dig to get it out, or lay it across the top and get gas and oil all over it.  I couldn't see where you were from upland, that's why I was being respectful about it.  I don't fish montana, never have...  things are probably different there than the puddles we fish around here.  And....  I love trout, stocked or not.  I guess I'm not as cool as someone who catches a real live trout.  

Keep the auger in the sled when I am on the ice, beside the sled in the back of the pickup.  I haven't had a problem with gas and oil, but if you are worried about it, I know there have been specific posts about it here over the past few years and it would be searchable.  I do have a cover for the shack (Genz Fish Trap II, hows that for old?) but don't use it except for storage.  If I did, it would only take a few seconds to pull it back to grab the auger, Vex, and scoop to drill a few holes.

My location is listed right under my name each time I post, just like everyone else's.... ;D

Don't get so defensive.....jeesh... .we are all doing this cuz we love it, just have different ways of doing it.  I plan to take the little one out this next week to catch some of them thare corn eaters cuz I think it sounds like fun.  Probably decent to eat too.

I never once disagreed with you, when I was 14 I got a free 1-person shanty from a relative he was going to throw out, my dad bought me a hand auger.  A couple of years later I saved enough to buy a power Lazer.  A few years later I saved enough to buy an FL-8.  Many years later I bought a flip over.

None of that has anything to do with the original question.....

Power auger....if you must choose between a shanty and an auger.....that is my choice.... :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.