The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: wolves at hyalite  (Read 7636 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Re: wolves at hyalite
« Reply #30 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:28 PM »
The black lab and rottweiller hunting is pretty good near the trailhead.
If yer hunting Rottweilers, stop following the tracks and turn around, we are hunting you. Try hunting Labradoodles, lil bit easier!

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Jigmaster-i think you're on to something there. The lab population in Bozeman is getting so out of hand that they are encroaching on the wolves territory up Hyalite. I think we need to put some form of management in place. Maybe try to suplant a large # of the labs with some other dogs. I'm partial to Griffons, I'll bet someone on this board knows where to find some brittanies. Now I'm not talking lethal control, but something needs to be done.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 10, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I think we need to manage the dogs named "bridger" or "maddi".  they really need thinned out
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:15 PM »
tennis balls ! and bacon  ;D
(PATHFINDER)

Offline montanaguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Concerning troutmonkeys view-cattle don't run free-range but in very few locations  in Montana. Many run on ranches which are privately owned. Ranchers harvest their grass with cattle-penning them up would require feeding them hay year round which is not  only not affordable but not conducive to  creating Montana's first class beef.  Kinda like you growing your trout and fishing for them in an aquarium. I ranched in the Geraldine area, no national  forest in sight, and had a wolf killing livestock in the early 90's. Takes between 20 and 30 acres per cow out there, so that guy running 100 cows needs over 3000 acres. To gross maybe 50,000 per year (500/calf) less tons of expenses not to mention trying  to buy equipment. Can't afford to  lose any at those prices. Most have years of breeding in their herd,  so even if they receive compensation for a wolf kill they can't replace the quality of the animal  lost. When the elk are gone the wolves will kill whatever they can to survive-which is what happened in the early part of the last century, and why they were were hunted out.
Is this too political a statement guys? If so, sorry

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:32 AM »
agreed

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 13, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Well if they don't start managing the wolves it won't be long before there is a massive die-off from disease or starvation just like when the coyote population gets too high.  But rather letting them completely decimate our big game population first, while we wait and hope for the disease to kick in, why not open the season and knock the population back closer to the 30 breeding pairs and 300 wolf minimum that U.S. Fish & Wildlife had initially called for.  Right now the wolf population is at least 4 to 5 times that.

Offline heine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 13, 2010, 12:07 PM »
agreed agreed, all the people with the big bucks though supporting the saving of the cute little innocent wolves live in the city never actually experienced the real affects of these oversized canadian wolves all they need to do is watch videos of it my dad is a real estate agent he has many rancher friends who habe to go shoot their sons cow because all the wolves did is hamstring the cow and left it to die. there was an incedent over in eastern montana where wolves got into a sheep pen and killed over a hundred sheep. my take on it is instead of killing the nuisance wolves that are gettin to close to the city just leave them and c how peta likes it when there are creatures jumping their fence and running off with their 120 pound german shepherd like it was a cat that will get them thinkin.

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 13, 2010, 01:59 PM »
i agree,
 those of you that want them better not complain when you have them in your yards and are dealing with them.  you know your yards etc are all part of this "natual Montana Park"

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 13, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Baucus/Tester are working on a bill to get us beyond the wolf issues. http://montanawildlife.com/projectsissues/88wildbison.htm

Quit b***hin here and write your people...  ;)

rg

Offline wolf hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2010, 08:53 AM »
I have some t-shirts you all might like, they say smoke a pack a day and they have a wolf silhouette in the crosshairs. Call 406-595-1337

fishing buddy went up to hyalite last night and saw a big grey wolf right off the road near langor camp ground.   Awesome!!! ok that was sarcastic.  Looks like I will have to start taking my pistol w me when I am fishing on the lake.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:42 AM »
ive wrote my people.problem is they arent doing anything about it because they dont have the stones to say no.

Offline Jester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2010, 09:49 PM »
I always get nervous about government getting involved with nature. First it eradicates the wolf and now it reintroduces the wolf. It takes out the buffalo and now it can't manage what's left of them in Yellowstone. It deforest the nation and then protects the forest with with wilderness and Yellowstone burns our arguments should not be directed at each other but at local and federal goverment. Personally one of my favorite trophies on the wall is my unfilled wolf tag because a some point in my lifetime I was able to legally hunt a wolf. To bad the quota had gotten filled so quickly.
When all else fails, use the worm!

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:38 PM »
I always get nervous about government getting involved with nature. First it eradicates the wolf and now it reintroduces the wolf. It takes out the buffalo and now it can't manage what's left of them in Yellowstone. It deforest the nation and then protects the forest with with wilderness and Yellowstone burns our arguments should not be directed at each other but at local and federal goverment. Personally one of my favorite trophies on the wall is my unfilled wolf tag because a some point in my lifetime I was able to legally hunt a wolf. To bad the quota had gotten filled so quickly.

What good would the Government be if they didn't know what is best for you, I and the World?  They're here to take care of us, "run along now children and do as your told".

Offline frostylemonade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:09 AM »
^ the sad part is some people actually think like that..

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Just out of curiousity, where was this sheep pen in Eastern MT? Hadn't heard anything about it. Hadn't heard of any yet futher east that Fort Benton ara.

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 17, 2010, 03:39 PM »
:) yeah. I was thinking the same.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.