The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: CF, Holding Res, Hauser...?  (Read 6105 times)

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
CF, Holding Res, Hauser...?
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Anyone get out this past weekend?  I was homebound catching up on "the list" since I fished all weekend for the last 2 weeks.  next weekend I'll be out again.  Just curious how the fishing was if anyone was brave enough to fish with the high winds.  least it wasn't cold.  ;D

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: CF, Holding Res, Hauser...?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:03 AM »
Didn't make it out, but the old man did. True to his form he did not leave without a limit on Perch up at CF. He was at the "spot", You know the one Jake. I am heading out Friday morning and plan on fishing all day. Would love to catch my perch limit early and then go hunt down some eyes. Take care

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:24 AM »
Didn't make it out, but the old man did. True to his form he did not leave without a limit on Perch up at CF. He was at the "spot", You know the one Jake. I am heading out Friday morning and plan on fishing all day. Would love to catch my perch limit early and then go hunt down some eyes. Take care
Was he with my brother in law?  He was out sunday during the game, took him all day of throwing back dinks but managed a fair limit.  Just curious who else may have made it out.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:09 AM »
Snuck out with the kids for a couple hours late Sunday morning on Hauser - Black Sandy.  A few folks fishing, but nobody we talked to had even had a bite!  We ended up catching one nice rainbow on the bottom in 25 feet of water on a hali jig.  Funny story, I landed that fish, but it had gotten tangled around one of our other lines (fishing close holes in the shanty) and my oldest son started reeling the other line and dragged that fish right off the ice and back down the hole!  Catch and release without having to touch the slimy thing!  We were hoping to find some perch, but no luck.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:14 AM »
We made it out the holding res on Sunday morning. Caught one little ling and missed probably five more. Not much going on out there. Everybody that we talked to said no body was catching much of anything.

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:30 AM »
Fished CF on Sunday, very slow, C & R 6 trout. Took all morning to get those. Seems to be getting less water each week also. Don't know if that made a difference.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Was he with my brother in law?  He was out sunday during the game, took him all day of throwing back dinks but managed a fair limit.  Just curious who else may have made it out.

Don't think that they were fishing together this weekend. Your B-in-law usually fishes further to the south than him. You gonna be out this weekend? I might try and fish overnight on Saturday for some ling just for the fun of it. Not certain yet though

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Don't think that they were fishing together this weekend. Your B-in-law usually fishes further to the south than him. You gonna be out this weekend? I might try and fish overnight on Saturday for some ling just for the fun of it. Not certain yet though

Yep, I'll be out, not sure Sat or Sun, but the wife has promised 1 day for sure!!!  Would be cool to ling fish Fri night/Sat, weather is suposed to be nice too this weekend, not too warm, not too cold! 

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:51 PM »
Made it out on CF for the first time in about 10 years today.  A GREAT to be out on the ice, no wind and mild temps.  Fished about a mile or two south of the Silos in about 12 feet of water.  Limited on rainbows.  All were between 18 and 21 inches.  Released an additional 5 rainbows of 18 inches.  Missed an additional 12 to 18 bites.  They were all soft biters today and only gave you one chance to hook them.  Also managed to catch one 12 inch perch.  Had so much fun today that I hope to get back on Thursday or Friday to target perch specifically.

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:20 PM »
Waterloo, it's nice to see that old waters are bringing back new fun for ya. I would definitely try heading more north if you want to get into the perch. Look for deeper water and Hali's or Swedish Pimples with maggots seem to be working a little better than most about 6 inches from the bottom with a little jigging to get them interested. I would look for at least 35 feet of water and don't be scared on fishing in up to 60 feet. If you cross the pressure ridge be very careful and only do so next to shore. Good luck

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:43 PM »
How far North has anyone been this year on CF?  I haven't made it much further then Confederate... Anyone been north of White earth?  Anyone fishing WAY up north in the bays?  My dad fished Chinamans last year 1 time and caught a few perch and trout, all in depths not typical for the other end of the lake.  perch were suspended and trout were on the bottom?  ???  Also heard people target walleye around Cemetery Is in the winter when the ice is good enough.  Anyone,  anyone,  Bueller? Bueller?

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:25 PM »
How far North has anyone been this year on CF?  I haven't made it much further then Confederate... Anyone been north of White earth?  Anyone fishing WAY up north in the bays?  My dad fished Chinamans last year 1 time and caught a few perch and trout, all in depths not typical for the other end of the lake.  perch were suspended and trout were on the bottom?  ???  Also heard people target walleye around Cemetery Is in the winter when the ice is good enough.  Anyone,  anyone,  Bueller? Bueller?

Even though I live just 15 minutes from the dam, I haven't been out that way all winter!  Shame on me.  The last few years, the north end has had a hard time building ice.  We used to fish it fairly often and found some great perch spots, but the last time was maybe 4 years ago.  People do target walleye near Cemetary, but I've never tried it.  Maybe I will take a spin out there soon to check the ice and maybe wet a line if it's safe.  Will check back in if I do.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2009, 02:13 PM »

Six of us fished by the dam on Sunday.  36 poles in the water and not one bite.  Not very many marking on the Vex either.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2009, 02:16 PM »
Six of us fished by the dam on Sunday.  36 poles in the water and not one bite.  Not very many marking on the Vex either.

Where by the dam?  I'm assuming off the first boat ramp to the east of the dam? before the little town of CF.  thats the closest I've seen anyone actually fish to the dam in the winter.  What depth was the Vex picking fish up? 

Offline waterloo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip (fishinforpigs)!  Before my buddy and I headed off the lake yesterday we walked out to some guys fishing for perch NE of the silos.  They were doing exactly as you recommended and doing reasonably well.  They were in 30 foot of water and fishing under swedish pimples.  This is where and what I am planning on fishing when I next get up there.

Thanks again.

Offline ah gee bobba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Where by the dam?  I'm assuming off the first boat ramp to the east of the dam? before the little town of CF.  thats the closest I've seen anyone actually fish to the dam in the winter.  What depth was the Vex picking fish up? 
Perchhog, We crossed the dam and it was the first turn off after crossing the dam.  We then walked on the ice toward the buoys and fished about 250 yards east of the buoys.  The fish were marking at about 35 feet, but they did not stay long.  Ice was a good 12 inches.  Fished from about 8:30am to 12:30pm. 

Offline Blacksandybum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:17 PM »
Headed out to the Causeway arm tomorrow.  Has anyone been out there recently?  Fished out at Black Sandy last weekend both Saturday and Sunday and caught some nice rainbows.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 09:44 PM »
fished CF on Sat.  Did pretty good.  Ice is still good, should be fishable at least on foot, for another 2-3 weeks at least, unless it gets good and cold again.  Between 6 guys, we caught roughly 90 perch, only a few over 11"  let a bunch of the dinks and most of the smaller/medium ones back. 

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:30 AM »
Hogslayer, we did about the same as you on both Friday and Saturday, were you fishing at the "spot" where you won the tournament

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:38 AM »
We started there, fished for about 1/2 hour, and 6 guys, and were pretty spread out, when we see a massive caravan of ATV's headed strait for us,  thought they were your friends and would keep going.  ;D But no such luck, they stopped roughly 15 feet away from us and started drilling with their 6 power augers.  In total they had 7 ATV's for 15 people and about 6 dogs.  Now, sure the lake is public property, and if they wanted to set up closer they legally could, but common,  there weren't many people on the lake that day (or at least when they showed up) and out of MILES of water in any direction they pick right there to park it????  It was pretty frustrating to say the least so we packed up and caught a ton of fish elsewhere.  worst part about it was they were just starting to bite, and the next spot we picked was horrible.  didn't have 1 bite in about 1 1/2 hours.  so we packed up again and finally found a good spot.  That massive convention on the ice was still there when we left around 3:30 too. 

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Sorry to hear about that, makes you wonder what some people are thinking. At least you ended up with some fish, and it was nice and sunny.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:10 AM »
Maybe they too think its "their spot"?

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Maybe they too think its "their spot"?
Maybe?  I didn't say it was "our spot" either. I don't really like to fish on top of people I don't know on a lake that big, so we politely collected our things and let them have their space.  They were just out there having a good time with their kids and friends which is GREAT!!!  I"m all about that,  Its just a huge lake and pretty rude in my opinion to park it so close to another group with that much open ice. 

Here's a pic of our poles, and where they ended up parking.  a little over 20 feet maybe?  next closest group was over 1/2 mile away. an extra 100 feet would have been great.  oh well, they had a great time, we had a great time after we moved.  everyones happy.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:31 AM »
Perchhogslayer,
You need to go incognito next, you know they recognized you from the paper.  I think maybe they were honed in on you.  Nice job with all the perch, that is a mess of perch.  Did you guys eat them fried or boiled?
wish you many hook-ups

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Did you guys eat them fried or boiled?
We usually do a coconut battered perch fry, but we've already done a few of those this season, so I think we'll try something else with these ones.  Boiled possibly sounds good.  Anyone else have any good perch dinners that aren't fried?  Something a bit healthier? 

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:51 AM »
I absolutely hate it when people do that.  On Canyon Ferry especially.  Even at the derby we never set up that close to people, and it was hard not too.  I think its just rude.  Looks like you still had a good day though.  I kind of like it when you can prove to people its not about a "spot", its about knowing the fish, the lake or whatever it takes to get on top of them.
good work
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Coconut coated cooked in Captain Morgan Parrot Bay is a bit better for you compared to butter or oil, and since it is coconut makes perch  taste great!

Offline fishinforpigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:28 PM »
A picture is worht a thousand words. I think that I recognize that group fishing well of in the background though. Looks like a couple pretty familiar huts to me.

I cooked up a mess on Friday night, dipped them in flour then egg and then some bread crumbs and shallow fried them. Turned out pretty dang good. I also enjoy poaching them in butter and lemon juice and cracked pepper. About 3-5 minutes in the microwave (believe it or not) should do the trick.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #28 on: Feb 09, 2009, 01:56 PM »
A picture is worht a thousand words. I think that I recognize that group fishing well of in the background though. Looks like a couple pretty familiar huts to me.

I think that was team "rookies"  heard they've been fishing that same darn hole all year trying to clear out every last perch in the lake via their powerful perch magnets.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2009, 03:38 PM »
We usually do a coconut battered perch fry, but we've already done a few of those this season, so I think we'll try something else with these ones.  Boiled possibly sounds good.  Anyone else have any good perch dinners that aren't fried?  Something a bit healthier? 

Heat up a cast iron skillet or griddle on the grill to at least 450 degrees, coat the fillet pieces with canola oil and sprinkle on a medium to light coating of your favorite fajita seasoning, slap them on the griddle and watch them smoke and dance.  Less that 2 minutes a side and they will be done(unless you catch some mighty thick Perch). 

Take about half a head of cabage, sliced as thin as possible and chopped across the slices twice, add finely chopped fresh cilantro(an entire bunch worth), the juice from one Lime, and about 2-3 teaspoons of kosher salt.  Toss together well.

Now using what ever other taco fixin's you like build yourself the best fish tacos you've ever had!!!  I use flour tortilla's, guacamole, sour cream, salsa....  Having it made with Pike tomorrow!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.