New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Power auger or flasher?  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Power auger or flasher?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Flasher first. Look on Craigslist for a used gas jiffy. Those old suckers last forever. You can get a good old jiffy for $100 if you're patient.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:29 PM »
well you need an augerto get your hole and then you need your flasher find the fish so I think you need both

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Flasher first. Look on Craigslist for a used gas jiffy. Those old suckers last forever. You can get a good old jiffy for $100 if you're patient.lol

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I have a cheapo portable fish finder that works great as a "depth" finder but having used a flasher a couple times it's not even close. Are the 200$ marcum worth the money or is it better to get a better one. I don't remember the one I used but I do know it had a zoom function and after 5 minutes of learning I was amazed at what I could see.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2014, 06:57 PM »
Check on Craig's list in your area and the classified. Also local bait shop may have bulletin board. Good Luck. Flasher first even though you use tip ups. Jig while waiting for flags and mark the fish at whatever levels......
      Kim :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I have a cheapo portable fish finder that works great as a "depth" finder but having used a flasher a couple times it's not even close. Are the 200$ marcum worth the money or is it better to get a better one. I don't remember the one I used but I do know it had a zoom function and after 5 minutes of learning I was amazed at what I could see.

You might want to update your profile with your location ...might be a deal nearby .
the Marcum VX1 has bottom zoom and the link I supplied in a previous post  is a reasonable price .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I got a  strikemaster Honda 35  lite  4  stroke  last  year  close  to a  600 dollar auger for  300 on  sale  ...from bass pro  I love  it!  call places  like  bass pro  see what they have on  sale  ....

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:08 PM »
You guys are awesome! I updated my profile I live between lake george and saratoga. I love my humminbird I have on the boat are their flashers any good?

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:34 PM »
I have a mora as my hand auger, a Jiffy as my power auger, and an FL8..... I take the hand auger until theres 12" of ice or more then I'll switch to the power auger....

I agree but it depends on where you are fishing.  Here in southern NY we fish the majority of our season on less than 12" which isn't bad to hand auger.  More than that much ice for a longer period during the season (1 month) would be a reason for me to get a power auger.  For me, drilling through less than a foot most of the time, I am glad I have a flasher.  I have a power auger but I haven't used it in years because its just not needed because of the increased mobility and ability to travel lightly that a hand auger and flasher gives on less than a foot of ice,
Many are cold, but few are frozen

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:39 PM »
If you have a humminbird on your boat you may be able to use that on the ice. Someone posted a link on how to turn your humminbird into a flasher.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:45 PM »
I agree but it depends on where you are fishing.  Here in southern NY we fish the majority of our season on less than 12" which isn't bad to hand auger.  More than that much ice for a longer period during the season (1 month) would be a reason for me to get a power auger.  For me, drilling through less than a foot most of the time, I am glad I have a flasher.  I have a power auger but I haven't used it in years because its just not needed because of the increased mobility and ability to travel lightly that a hand auger and flasher gives on less than a foot of ice,

Not sure where you fish but here in Orange County I'm usually walking on 12" by the end of January.... when my season doesn't end
 till the beginning of March and with the occasional trip upstate the power auger gets used a lot......

If you kept reading my post you would see that I recommended the flasher....
I still would go with the flasher you'll put a lot more fish on the ice with it and be a lot more mobile....

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:52 PM »
I  think  one  of  the  big things  is  what  and  how  your  going to  fish  if  your  setting up  5 or  10  tip ups  in a  foot  and  a  half to 2  foot of  ice   a  flasher is  moot  and  a  8 inch  auger  you  can  be  hulk Hogan  and  yer arms  will be  shot  so  ya a  power  auger ......if  your  fishing  just  for  bluegills  and   moving  a lot  with a  5 inch lazer  or a  nils   I'd  say  a  flasher   ....im my  case I  do  both  but  at  my  age  if I  could  only have  one  I'd  take  the   auger  .....that's  just  me  and  I  honestly  don't believe  a  flasher  doubles  my  catch  ...maybe  it  does  you it really  doesn't  me  ...I  drop  everytime   and  I  think it might  increase my  catch  by  20% on a  good  day ...that is  opinion 

the  using  a  eagle  or hummingbird  does  work  and  the  settings  are  on the  menu

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 18, 2014, 07:56 PM »
I  think  one  of  the  big things  is  what  and  how  your  going to  fish  if  your  setting up  5 or  10  tip ups  in a  foot  and  a  half to 2  foot of  ice   a  flasher is  moot  and  a  8 inch  auger  you  can  be  hulk Hogan  and  yer arms  will be  shot  so  ya a  power  auger ......if  your  fishing  just  for  bluegills  and   moving  a lot  with a  5 inch lazer  or a  nils   I'd  say  a  flasher   ....im my  case I  do  both  but  at  my  age  if I  could  only have  one  I'd  take  the   auger  .....that's  just  me  and  I  honestly  don't believe  a  flasher  doubles  my  catch  ...maybe  it  does  you it really  doesn't  me  ...I  drop  everytime   and  I  think it might  increase my  catch  by  20% on a  good  day ...that is  opinion 

the  using  a  eagle  or hummingbird  does  work  and  the  settings  are  on the  menu

I also use my flasher to set my tip-ups up so I can get right on top of those weeds!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:13 PM »
that's  a  idea  I never though of ^5   most of my pike  water is very  shallow  and I  just  set  a  foot or 2  under the  ice ...but I  see  your point

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:26 PM »

I've been impressed with the Marcums. They will no doubt help  and are very good.  I am partial to the vexilar fl 20. And the flx 28. Any flasher will do in all reality.  I know I'm hard core out as much as possible and like I said am partial to vexilar.. The show downs work too but IMO don't compare to the vex. It's going to come down to your budget and time you plan on ice fishing. I know guys that have traded Marcums for vexilars.  I would go for the newer models unless your getting a super deal on an older one. Flashers hold there value, they don't seem to depreciate.

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:28 PM »
What do you want to do catch more fish? or make it easier to drill holes later in the season?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #46 on: Dec 18, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Get the flasher and you will have to drill less holes

2X But get a Lowrance elite 4 that dial is for old guys that will not let go of the past lmao...
Sorry but He started it  >:D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:10 PM »
I think I have decided on the humminbird  385ci ice combo I have been thinking about a cheap fish finder for my little boat and this will do both. I don't really need the gps but to get the same graph without gps and make it the "ice combo" is basically the same price so it's kind of a no brainer. Thanks for all the input I hope this leads to more fish and most likely stronger shoulders. If any one has any experience with the 385 let me know?

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:20 PM »
I think I have decided on the humminbird  385ci ice combo I have been thinking about a cheap fish finder for my little boat and this will do both. I don't really need the gps but to get the same graph without gps and make it the "ice combo" is basically the same price so it's kind of a no brainer. Thanks for all the input I hope this leads to more fish and most likely stronger shoulders. If any one has any experience with the 385 let me know?

if you have a smartphone download the navionics app and that's your gps

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 18, 2014, 10:26 PM »
if you have a smartphone download the navionics app and that's your gps

I have the app as well as a handheld garmin so the Gps capability isn't a huge deal and most likely won't be used but it will be handy to pull the navionics chip out of the big boat if need be.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:33 AM »
You guys are awesome! I updated my profile I live between lake george and saratoga. I love my humminbird I have on the boat are their flashers any good?

Man, i'm from the broadalbin area.  Just sold a mag III for 125$ and a model 30 for 130$, wish I knew earlier, I would have helped ya out.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Man, i'm from the broadalbin area.  Just sold a mag III for 125$ and a model 30 for 130$, wish I knew earlier, I would have helped ya out.

That would have been awesome, if any one knows of any good used augers I'm still in the market just won't be a brand new propane for a few months.

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2014, 09:37 AM »
That would have been awesome, if any one knows of any good used augers I'm still in the market just won't be a brand new propane for a few months.

does not look like we will have as much ice this year as last. what about a hand auger for now like a nils? get a drill or have one then power a few holes with the nils on it... by the way good choice on the flasher better choice of the two evils. >:D

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:38 AM »
I have a couple of hand augers an 8 and a 6 they work fine but after 25 or 30 holes in a day I'm ready to not drill any more, I keep hearing great things about the nils. As for the drill thing I just don't know I have a real good drill but I don't know if it will ever go on the ice with me. I have seen the videos and read the reviews but I'm just not sure my 350$ drill will go on the ice. I have a thing about using the right tool for a job and attaching my drill to an auger just goes against it, I guess my hard head gets in the way of my laziness.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:13 AM »
Once again the Flasher will put you on fish or make you move to get on fish...find one that has what your looking for in the price point you are comfortable with....with the auger ..might get a better deal toward the end of season at your local retailer .Don't forget ...free shipping and no tax can bring the price down a lot on what ever item your choosing ..you could get an adapter for your 6 in auger and test it out for your needs

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nimrod-ice-auger-adapter?a=235370

and a handle

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nimrod-smart-handle?a=1629179

there are other adapters out there little searching requiredd
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:44 AM »
I have a couple of hand augers an 8 and a 6 they work fine but after 25 or 30 holes in a day I'm ready to not drill any more, I keep hearing great things about the nils. As for the drill thing I just don't know I have a real good drill but I don't know if it will ever go on the ice with me. I have seen the videos and read the reviews but I'm just not sure my 350$ drill will go on the ice. I have a thing about using the right tool for a job and attaching my drill to an auger just goes against it, I guess my hard head gets in the way of my laziness.

could always get a cheap drill like this. i would love to use better my self but i got a deal on a skill 1/2 drill 400 inch pounds hammer drill at menards for $29.99  it is off sale now.  sorry can't tell you how good it is yet no ice here. any ways this is the next best thing to a cheap drill see link pair it with a auger

http://www.lowes.com/pd_656978-70-PCC601LA_4294607722__?productId=50301819&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

by the way i don't blame you on not wanting to use a good $350 dollar dill out there snow will wreck a good drill no questions asked will rust the chuck and motor.. see why i suggest cheaper drills? brush less maybe better but not necessary. like    hardwaterdiehard is saying get a nim rod 2 piece adaptor set i think the set run about $40 and a drill. do not skip the whole set seen a few auger end up at the bottom of the drink cause of not buying the whole set one piece is a safety handle  that prevent the loss of a auger bit. any how hope you make it out to bad were not on the hard stuff yet...hopefully soon...

Offline David UJ Kennedy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 19, 2014, 11:47 AM »
As long as you keep fresh blades on your auger no need for power auger. Those things are heavy to lug around.

Offline Reelemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:01 PM »
You need both!  Take out a loan.....  ;) ;)  do what ever you have to... ;D ;D ;D ;D You can never have to much fishing gear!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline KCJerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 19, 2014, 01:45 PM »
I'm sorry I just don't get the power auger thing, a 5 inch Mora with good non China blades cuts like butter. Hand Auger also add no noise to the peaceful lake experience. I sometimes think guys like drilling with power augers more than they like fishing. More than once our gang has done time trials watching guys across the lake doing the pull cord thing over and over. Every time we have our hand powered holes dug faster.

Get the flasher and Jig them up!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #59 on: Dec 19, 2014, 07:28 PM »
I'm sorry I just don't get the power auger thing, a 5 inch Mora with good non China blades cuts like butter. Hand Auger also add no noise to the peaceful lake experience. I sometimes think guys like drilling with power augers more than they like fishing. More than once our gang has done time trials watching guys across the lake doing the pull cord thing over and over. Every time we have our hand powered holes dug faster.

Get the flasher and Jig them up!

You don't have the ice we do then. I have 3 augers and use them all 4" and 6" nils hand or drill if a buddy and I are setting tipups and jigging that's 16+ holes spread out on the first stop if the ice is 12" I bring my strikemaster 8" POWER auger. I don't leave without power if I'm setting tipups in more than 6" of ice. I'll challenge you to 5 holes with your auger with china blades against my 4.5 nils drill and ill wait until you have 2 done to do mine. If your up to the challenge I'm here just upload a video. ;D
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.