The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Waterproofing ice shelters?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Svinny88

• IceShanty Rookie
Waterproofing ice shelters?
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:07 PM »
A couple weeks ago I fished in 45 degree weather with wind and heavy downpours... Our intentions were to stay out all evening, but we soon learned that a clam Bigfoot 2000 turns into a giant gutter and funnels all the rainwater from the roof to the middle of the walls and downpours.  Has anyone had this happen and have any waterproofing tips/ tricks? Are any other brand shelters actually waterproof?

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Waterproofing ice shelters?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Yea been there. & yes I spray my clam trap once every couple years, it's worth the effort. Use the good ozone eating silicone camp dry. The water based stuff is useless.
Don't horse em!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:07 PM »
You also want to put on a seam sealer in addition to the waterproof spray.  Learned the hard way.  Fished that storm a few weeks back and I think I got less wet out in the rain vs. the shanty

Offline Scuba Steve 3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 10:14 AM »
Tell me about it, I thought it would be a good idea to sleep in my Clam Bigfoot 2000 from Thursday to Sunday 3 nights, and on Friday night it decided to rain all night. Nobody had a tarp big enough  to cover it. I had a 4x6 tarp to cover one side haha. I had an air mattress half the size of the hut and I had to throw every single thing I wanted to keep dry on the air mattress with me. Smelt like a wet sock lol. It all came in through the seams so I would focus on waterproofing those. Other than that I loved sleeping in it very roomy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.