Author Topic: Mr. heater problems...  (Read 34555 times)

Offline Crash04

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr. heater problems...
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 07:42 PM »
I have the single tank mr. heater and it will only run for about 5 minutes when i first start it and then after that it runs less and less.....I have both doors open so there is plenty of air flow and the tank is full....has any one else had this problem and fixed it....it acts like it is running out of propane...It also happens with my Big buddy mr heater  with both doors and vents open........It gets old restartin them all the time.....

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mr. heater problems...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 11:05 PM »
I don't use the 1lbs bottles with my Big Buddy, I was a 20lbs bbq tank kit with the propane filter and it works like a charm!!!!

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:56 AM »
I've just developed this problem in my Buddy heater as well.

20# or 1# doesn't matter.

It starts fine.  Then perhaps a minute later, it will start to act as if it's out of propane, (sputtering) and then shut off.  I'm wondering if it's a moisture problem in the heater itself?  Seeing that it doesn't seem to matter what propane source I use.  Any insights to what this might be would be great, need to get it working.

Offline jigger-team hamlin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:05 PM »
i have similar problems too. but alot of times mine wont start at all. ive took it all apart cleaned it and still nothin. kinda ticked about situation cus ive had for 1 season and maybe used 4 times. and i lost reciept.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:54 PM »
I can't say I've experienced that issue with my Big Buddy.  Are you using the fuel filter when using the 20lbs tank?  unless some oil/crud got in there and gummed things up?  you may have to contact the manufacture.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:00 PM »

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Check out this thread. Hope it helps. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=161438.0

No, unfortunately it does not.

Although moving the thermocouple helped it run longer, the pilot still goes out after running a short time.  I also ran it in the house hoping it was just a moisture problem.  Not the case.  It's got to be a crud problem on mine anyway.  I've had it for 7 years and never used a filter with it, so I guess I can't really ask for more out of it.  Anyway, I've got a new Buddy as of today, with a filter.  The mid sized buddy.

FYI, Mr Heater recommends you change the filter once a year if you use it.

Offline bri

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Dab a q-tip in alcohol and soak the hole for the pilot real good.  If you used a bulk tank with the original, "black" hose and neglected to use a filter, it's probably gummed up.  9 times out 10, this cleaning method will take care of things.  If not, you'd have to disassemble and soak that gas line in a good solvent.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Dab a q-tip in alcohol and soak the hole for the pilot real good.  If you used a bulk tank with the original, "black" hose and neglected to use a filter, it's probably gummed up.  9 times out 10, this cleaning method will take care of things.  If not, you'd have to disassemble and soak that gas line in a good solvent.

Tried cleaning the pilot as well, and that didn't work either.  I'm not gonna go as far as soaking the fuel line in solvent.  These buddy heaters are a pain to take apart.  Unless someone has directions as to how they actually are supposed to be disassembled.  I guess it would be nice to have a spare, since I already bought a new one.

Offline bbrian7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:27 AM »
there is an air hole in back of pilot outlet it mixes air with gas if any dust or debri get in there you need to clean out with a can of air while pilot is off then also tap on pilot while on also helps loosen up parrticles and they shot out and burn up in pilot flame, this air mixer is the ods,oxygen depletion system if any dust gets in there it sees not enough oxygen and pilot flame shinks till thermo couple cools and shuts down system

Outdoor_hardcore

« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:59 PM »
i have never had any problems with my lil buddy heater...use it in my camper quite often and i have never had a problem with it

Offline stinkypete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Only problem I've had with my little buddy is when trying to use it when it was -20 it wouldn't light or stay lit. So i used my cook stove to warm it up (with out the bottle hooked up) and after it got warm it worked fine. figured it must be a valve thing.  So sounds to me like the valve is faulty.

Offline Bullseye6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 12:49 AM »
Crash, I had the same problem with my Mr. Heater Buddy.  After much investigation I found the problem to be the regulator was gummed up.  The only way to fix the regulator is to replace it.  I ordered a replacement from Mr. Heater and installed it, been working fine ever since.  I ran my heater on a 20# tank without a filter and that is what caused that to happen.

Offline Danriddle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I found out it was the longer hose that caused it to cut off after it got wormed up without the ( filter ) long or short hose will not work if not on tightly :)
GET A FILTER PROBLEM SOLVED

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Could it possible be that your propane tank is too cold, dropping the pressure? Try getting it off the ice just a bit.
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:33 PM »
I had mine doing something similar I took it apart and found the wires had come loose on the tip over shutoff sensor after cleaning everything and reassmbleing it I haven't had any problems

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2015, 06:41 PM »
Filter is a must. Try a spray straw from a wd40 can or the like fixed to a blow gun and back blow the pilot light hole.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2015, 09:48 PM »
i had to modify the thermo couple position so it was further into the pilot.
hard starting or no start in cold temps when you need it most.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2015, 09:35 AM »
I had issues with my big buddy heater a few seasons ago and I have come to the conclusion that its all about the pilot light. You need a good solid blue flame with no yellow in it. I had to clean my pilot tube multiple times before i finally got it right. I found that the long pipe cleaners that can be found at ant hobby/craft stores work best and I also used the compressed air in can thats used for cleaning computer keyboards with the red air nozzle to blow the dust and crud out that was in the tube. I almost gave up on mine and scrapped it..... Glad I didn't now. I now also store mine in a bag to help keep the dust and debris from the off season out.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:46 AM »
taking the thing apart can be a hassle, I broke the plastic on mine taking it apart, but got new from Mr. Heater for about $28.00 I think. When I took mine apart, I took all the gas lines off, and blew them out with an air compressor, you wouldn't believe what came out of the lines, nasty looking snot about the size of a quarter. Heater works good now, I think the snot got in there as I had used a 20lb tank without a filter, since cleaning and using a filter I've had no issues.

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I run a 20 with the regulated hose. I recently did the thermocouple and tip over mods. Took me about 40 minutes to disassemble, mod and reassemble. Not the most convenient device to disassemble but not too terrible.

Offline Danriddle

• IceShanty Rookie
ice shanty for sale
« Reply #21 on: Aug 31, 2016, 05:44 PM »
I found out it was the longer hose that caused it to cut off after it got wormed up without the ( filter ) long or short hose will not work if not on tightly :)
GET A FILTER PROBLEM SOLVED
:tipup:

Offline Meadbrewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I had the same issue with Heater starting running 1-2 minutes and turning itself off. Heater Buddy with filter connected to 40lb tank using regulator and hose all bought from Lowes. Only use it with everything indoors to heat large room. Found out I had one end of Heater Buddy about 1/8" higher than the other end. This was enough to allow gravity to pull on the safety mechanism, it took 1-2 minutes to go out after lighting but consistently happened until I read an ice fishing post that suggested it should be level. I put it on level surface and bam... problem disappeared.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.