Author Topic: Flip over wind poles to solve a problem  (Read 6033 times)

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flip over wind poles to solve a problem
« Reply #30 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Clam actually makes two adjustable poles that work with 7/8" uprights. One is a short one that only opens to around 34" and the other one opens to 72".  Call Clam and tell them what you're trying to do and they will send you what you need.  I know because when I tried to order adjustable poles as a "roof suppoet" for my older Jason Mitchell shanty, they sent me the short ones that did not open long enough.  When I called them and told them that they misunderstood what I was trying to do and that what they sent me wouldn't work -- they sent me the longer ones free of charge.  You can't beat that for customer service.

already been through that they dont offer an adjustable one short enough for the roof.  smallest they offer is 29" in compressed length.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:23 PM »
Clam actually makes two adjustable poles that work with 7/8" uprights. One is a short one that only opens to around 34" and the other one opens to 72".  Call Clam and tell them what you're trying to do and they will send you what you need.  I know because when I tried to order adjustable poles as a "roof suppoet" for my older Jason Mitchell shanty, they sent me the short ones that did not open long enough.  When I called them and told them that they misunderstood what I was trying to do and that what they sent me wouldn't work -- they sent me the longer ones free of charge.  You can't beat that for customer service.

i just made my own for a fraction of what they charge plus its stronger.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:31 PM »
As you can see, the short poles they sent me are 21" when retracted:

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:41 PM »
As you can see, the short poles they sent me are 21" when retracted:

I called clam and was instructed what they sell is on the website, and they no longer sell that length.  So maybe i spoke to the wrong person, do you have a part number?
https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/adjustable-front-spreader-pole.html#181=

why are you so hard up on buying from clam vs making your own? I can make 3 poles for $16.85 and still have material left over.  I cant even buy one pole from them for that amount.  AND they are MUCH stronger.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:51 PM »
SKU# is 4123  Shelter type is Legend Thermal  Price is $19.98 for two, shipping was $11.45

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 04, 2019, 03:56 PM »
SKU# is 4123  Shelter type is Legend Thermal  Price is $19.98 for two, shipping was $11.45

oh you mean this one for $9.99 for one pole plus the $11.45 shipping?

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:20 PM »
That's the one.  Hope it meets your needs.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:49 PM »
That's the one.  Hope it meets your needs.

Do you work for clam?

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:18 PM »
No

Offline Fishdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:35 PM »
Hey Ksgoosekillr, thanks for the information on the wind poles. I have contacted clam about the adjustable poles the ones for $9.99 for my Legend and was going to order two of them I do not paying in USD but the shipping for two poles shipped to Calgary AB CDN was $47.00. I would like just to build my own and am having a hard time finding the C-clips which are used to attach the pole to the hoop. Its really to bad Clam does not include theses poles with the flipover when purchased. This will be my first and last Clam anything. Would you have any suggestions what could be used instead of the C -clips. Thanks appreciate this thread.

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #40 on: Dec 04, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Fishdude - Go to the shappell  website-click on the page for the bayrunners-'C' clips for the bar are $1.50 USD ea.
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline Fishdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:02 PM »
Thanks Capt for the advise. I actually have a Bay Runner and the C-clips on the bar are a smaller dimension. The clam let's call it the porch loop poles section is different size tubing then the Bay Runner. It's really to bad a person can buy shelters here in CDN but really have no support. I did have eskimo products and they actually have a couple distributers here where replacement parts can be purchased, they have great service. Thanks again.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Hey Ksgoosekillr, thanks for the information on the wind poles. I have contacted clam about the adjustable poles the ones for $9.99 for my Legend and was going to order two of them I do not paying in USD but the shipping for two poles shipped to Calgary AB CDN was $47.00. I would like just to build my own and am having a hard time finding the C-clips which are used to attach the pole to the hoop. Its really to bad Clam does not include theses poles with the flipover when purchased. This will be my first and last Clam anything. Would you have any suggestions what could be used instead of the C -clips. Thanks appreciate this thread.

I used a 3d printer to make mine to be able to use EMT tube. Unlike all the end fittings on all flip manufacturers who use aluminum thin wall tubing. Mostly because that thin wall tubing is very expensive if you dont buy in bulk.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:51 PM »
Fishdude - Go to the shappell  website-click on the page for the bayrunners-'C' clips for the bar are $1.50 USD ea.

Might as well buy the complete pole if you choose that route because that fitting is made for aluminum tubing.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Im beginning to see most of you guys are happy paying more in shipping than for an actual part and are against making anything. Especially something 1/3 cheaper and stronger. Real head scratcher

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #45 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Most shanties that need windbars come with them anyways..

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Most shanties that need windbars come with them anyways..

Did you read what im using these bars for??

Because it has zero to do with wind no shanties come with them.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #47 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:34 PM »
Did you read what im using these bars for??

Because it has zero to do with wind no shanties come with them.
yeah you should call clam.they probably will make it right.you got a lemon shanty sir.my clam scout xl came with a wind bar.so did my guide and ive had a nanook and didnt have problems with the bar not touching the ice.I would raise hell to clam to make it right if the tent is too small.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:43 PM »
There is literally a ton of threads all over the net about this issue. Its not just one lemon shanty. Also its not just clam.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #49 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:49 PM »
There is literally a ton of threads all over the net about this issue. Its not just one lemon shanty. Also its not just clam.
well that sucks.ive had shappell,clam and frabill flips and never had that problem.good luck with the windbars.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 04, 2019, 07:52 PM »
I used a 3d printer to make mine to be able to use EMT tube. Unlike all the end fittings on all flip manufacturers who use aluminum thin wall tubing. Mostly because that thin wall tubing is very expensive if you dont buy in bulk.
Just go to your local camper dealer and ask for replacement c clips for a pop up camper they sell the ends you need and they fit the emt pipes that clam uses go to the hardware store and buy the emt conduit it's like 3.95 for ten foot section and make your own

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Just go to your local camper dealer and ask for replacement c clips for a pop up camper they sell the ends you need and they fit the emt pipes that clam uses go to the hardware store and buy the emt conduit it's like 3.95 for ten foot section and make your own

Or i can make my own for pennies and the adjuster center piece also.

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 04, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Im beginning to see most of you guys are happy paying more in shipping than for an actual part and are against making anything. Especially something 1/3 cheaper and stronger. Real head scratcher

So, are you for or against people making their own? Not everyone owns a 3D printer (congrats on owning one and using it). Seems others have offered alternative methods to procure a similar brace, or procure the parts if people do not have a printer at their disposal, but you think all of those methods are frivolous. I guess thanks for sharing what you made and shame on others for adding to the discussion.

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:13 AM »
So, are you for or against people making their own? Not everyone owns a 3D printer (congrats on owning one and using it). Seems others have offered alternative methods to procure a similar brace, or procure the parts if people do not have a printer at their disposal, but you think all of those methods are frivolous. I guess thanks for sharing what you made and shame on others for adding to the discussion.

OK once again and for the umpteenth time, you can not go buy the parts to make your own unless you want to pay out the wazoo. All the fittings minus the popup camper fitting are for aluminum poles. aluminum isnt cheap.  one C clip from the popup camper costs the same as an entire pole from clam.   You can order the part from clam and pay out the wazoo for shipping.  I also said i was thinking of offering to make people fittings or poles if enough were interested.  but all everyone who has commented seems to do is suggest expensive alternatives even after i offered to make some if people were interested so by all means go pay $20+ per pole to buy from clam or attempt to make your own.  but thank you for reading everything i wrote before replying. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #54 on: Dec 05, 2019, 07:19 AM »
Seems to me your pushing a sell on here..

Offline ksgoosekillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2019, 09:09 AM »
Seems to me your pushing a sell on here..
actually I havent sold anything nor tried to sell anything.  I said if enough guys were interested Id make some. There is no profit to be made on these due to shipping and material costs.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2019, 10:48 PM »
actually I havent sold anything nor tried to sell anything.  I said if enough guys were interested Id make some. There is no profit to be made on these due to shipping and material costs.
It's only a few Penny's plus the 3d printer cost and the plastic resin and the uv light  I have made my own for less than 15 bucks and it was 2 of them they wasn't adjustable just cut to the length I needed for the top , my clam fish trap pro came with the rear pole support

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #57 on: Dec 06, 2019, 03:46 AM »
It's only a few Penny's plus the 3d printer cost and the plastic resin and the uv light  I have made my own for less than 15 bucks and it was 2 of them they wasn't adjustable just cut to the length I needed for the top , my clam fish trap pro came with the rear pole support
They just don’t get building something for yourself. I don’t have that type of printer and am not that technically handy. But I would build something b4 paying
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline MinnesotaPike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 06, 2019, 11:06 AM »
They just don’t get building something for yourself. I don’t have that type of printer and am not that technically handy. But I would build something b4 paying
I think people understand building something for themselves, this guy just has a weirdly defensive attitude. Like the guy that pointed out Clam does indeed sell a smaller adjustable pole than what the OP believed and rather than thanking the guy that corrected his misinformation, the OP decided to move the goalposts and go on a weird rant.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.