Author Topic: Fishing just below the ice  (Read 2925 times)

Offline fishstalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishing just below the ice
« on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:30 PM »
Every walleye fisherman knows that the most productive area to fish for walleye with tip-ups is about a foot or two off the bottom. However has anyone tried just below the ice? or even half way down to the bottom? Ive always thought about trying it on those nights that the fish just seem to not be biting. If you've had success fishing this way before, what depth of water were you fishing over?

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing just below the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:56 PM »
Been fishing eyes since the middle 50s.......  I always jig for them so I can't help ya on tipup tips BUT I can say with some certainty that almost everyone that fish eyes usually fish way to deep.........I can't remember the last time I caught an eye in over 15 fow.........and that's real deep for me.

My best luck is after dark in 3 to 5 fow...only 2 feet or so below the ice...usually by midnight the eyes are all shallow chasing minnows etc....which is the best time to catch one.......and there's nothing better than sitting in 4 fow and catching a 5 lb eye.........you'd think you have a steelhead on.......they ain't got anywhere to go but sideways and they do.......lol....

The eyes are extremely sound shy in that shallow of water so the best way to do it is figure out where you're are going to fish after dark in shallow water and drill the holes well before dark.....and after dark sneak up quietly as you can and sit down and prepare to have fun.......I use jigging raps with minnow head and/or buckshots w/minnow head..........and the hits are usually quite savage as they are already moving quite fast chasing minnows..........Anoth er tip I try to use just enough light just to see unless the ice is super thick and/or a lot of snow on it..........

I see no reason a tipup wouldn't work the same way....

Try it you'll like it..........

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:54 AM »
I agree with Wally-eye.

I haven't been fishing as long, ( heck I'm not that old) but I usually try to set my tip ups at different depths and let the fish tell me where they want it.

Sometimes, It's right on bottom, other times a couple of feet below the ice.

I don't know how often you check your tip ups, but I usually check 'em every 1/2 hour or so.   This allows me to adjust the depth quite frequently to find the sweet spot.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline SISIF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ^ Every good and perfect gift is from above.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2010, 12:25 AM »
In 14-15 FOW, I always mark them swimming 5-6 feet below the ice when not on bottom. If I'm jigging on the bottom I bring it up to them, but I like to put my dead stick right on that level.
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” -Matthew 4:19

Offline tipup_time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY POWER!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:24 PM »
i definatly agree with walleye eyes... and not too many people do that these days... i lived on/near lake bemidji in northern MN of all places, everyone thought the bite was over 30 min after dark but in 7 feet of water, flags were popping every night for me as i pulled up countless 4-6 pound eyes.. i totally agree. they are up in the shallows chasing minners after dark. and the best part is, you pretty much have the place to yourself because everyone will think your crazy!!  :tipup:
When hell freezes over Ill Ice fish there too

Offline MRwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2011, 03:26 AM »
I always start by staggering my tip-ups. I like to set them up in lines. One on the bottom then one 1/2 way down and them one just under the ice. Then restart the rotation. I then adjust to where I'm getting the fish. Just under the ice has done great for me for Walleye's at night and during the day. I always believe that there fowling the smelt and they can run at any depth.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2011, 10:13 AM »
In 10 fow and shallower......I don't think it matters where your at in the column.  If there active there keen senses should find your bait.   I usually deadstick and jig 1-3 foot off bottom and run tip ups 2-5 foot off bottom depending on how tall the vegetation is.   I wouldn't try to close to the ice worrying about people..noise and light.  A walleye has eyes that look up....I think.they travel the bottom most commonly to look up and cover more area.

Offline W4lleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Been fishing eyes since the middle 50s.......  I always jig for them so I can't help ya on tipup tips BUT I can say with some certainty that almost everyone that fish eyes usually fish way to deep.........I can't remember the last time I caught an eye in over 15 fow.........and that's real deep for me.

My best luck is after dark in 3 to 5 fow...only 2 feet or so below the ice...usually by midnight the eyes are all shallow chasing minnows etc....which is the best time to catch one.......and there's nothing better than sitting in 4 fow and catching a 5 lb eye.........you'd think you have a steelhead on.......they ain't got anywhere to go but sideways and they do.......lol....

The eyes are extremely sound shy in that shallow of water so the best way to do it is figure out where you're are going to fish after dark in shallow water and drill the holes well before dark.....and after dark sneak up quietly as you can and sit down and prepare to have fun.......I use jigging raps with minnow head and/or buckshots w/minnow head..........and the hits are usually quite savage as they are already moving quite fast chasing minnows..........Anoth er tip I try to use just enough light just to see unless the ice is super thick and/or a lot of snow on it..........

Interesting.  Everything said is exactly what i exploit pre-ice, and do rather well.  I also have never caught one deep, and when asked a few months back i couldnt think of a Walleye ive caught in over 8 fow.  Having never targeted through the ice its nice to know not much has changed. 
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein

You save the world, ill save your seat.

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2011, 01:46 PM »

Yup

Usually when we fish for em there seems to be a good bite from about half hour bfor dark, into dark a bit depending on the night.  We fish from around 4-10 feet on points or structure that runs out towards the main lake, cant use live minnows where we go but cut many holes before "go time" and move hole to hole, jiggin a foot or two off of the bottom.  Once we get one, try to get it right back down as i think they come in in waves and r really ready to eat.  Buckshots, jiggin raps, glow jigs with minnow head or tail, using a headlamp to recharge them.

Offline puddlefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:05 PM »
see im the exact opposite ive been fishing since i was born and fishing walleyes ive always done best deeper from 15-40+ fow but thats in the soft water season and they have always been on the bottom or like 3 or less ft off it. no on the ice i dont really have much experience with them but if i were to start form the basics i would start in 20 fow and work out (deeper) or in (shallower) to find them ive done well durning the day on a flat beside deep water the flat it for 20 to 10 ft with a drop off cloes by to 50 ft but thats just me on the soft water like i said i dont have much experience on the ice for eyes as i have no place to target them :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.