New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1091835 times)

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
Contemplating fishing White Lake tomorrow. Good or bad idea?

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
Contemplating fishing White Lake tomorrow. Good or bad idea?
there was a few hundred people at the derby today..  I really got into the perch though from 12-2 though

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Good evening for those who like fish stories and photos the Times Herald record already has some photos and story from King of the Ice contest on the newspapers website. As Jiignut posted a large walleye was the winning fish this year. Hayden Cardell age 24 of Moniticello caught the walleye shortly after the contest started at 6 AM  paper had the weight listed as 8.2 Lbs. his first time fishing the contest. like Troutslayer97 posted good turnout supposedly over four hundred people.

www.recordonline.com                    Facebook for Sullivan County Conservation Club.  www.facebook.com/sullivancountyconservationclub/

Also thank you to everyone who has posted reports from their recent outings.

Green Giant64 thank you for the information on Poughkeepsie bait shop.
Hardwater diehard belated thank you for the information on Swan Lake Fire Dept. contest.
Beachwoods 16 if you do visit White lake tomorrow good fishing to you.

Steve

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I fished the King with a group of buddies and had a nice day in what I would call horrible conditions. Some spots on the ice were OK while others were treacherous with deep slush if you broke through the top crusted snow. Lots of machines were axel deep stuck requiring help to get out. For my group the fish had a bad case of Lockjaw with just a few dink perch caught all day. Still had a good time with friends and my Snowdog did a great job towing me and 3 pop up sleds from the public launch over to the 17B north shore side across from the weigh station. I chased the lake trout all day long and could see them on my finder on the bottom and occasionally come up for a look but no takers. If you fish today or over the next few days just be careful where you can see the ruts with deep slush. My day ended in a disaster when about a mile from home the axel under my Triton clamshell trailer broke in half and I had to drag it the rest of the way with the tires touching the underside into my driveway and dragging the broken axle all the way. Have to love all the road salt that attacks the underside and rusts the works plus the pot holes in the roads that didn't help. 
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
 I like hitting Whit lake after the contest because often all the people mix the snow and slush together. After a night or two....It's a little bumby but solid!

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like hitting Whit lake after the contest because often all the people mix the snow and slush together. After a night or two....It's a little bumby but solid!

All I know from personal experience having been there is from the public launch heading towards the 17B side the ice was pretty good until you reached the middle of the big open lake. Staying towards the north east shore was driveable but out in the middle heading toward the firehouse was nasty. You should find lots of well beaten paths all over the lake and I would stick to them like glue.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Gamalot thank you for your report on the King of the Ice contest soory you and your group did not get into fish of any size. Glad the Snow Dog was able to handle the snow and slush on lake .To bad about your trailer if the axle had to break good that it was close to your home and did not cause you to have an accident.

Beachwoods 16 may you have good fishing when you make your trip.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.
 Steve

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
Got out for a couple hours this afternoon and had about 12" of ice under me in Orange County. Iced 18 crappie and one perch and dumped another 4 or 5 crappies at the hole. Was a finicky bite and a light bite if you weren't paying attention you most likely missed em and when they did bite it seemed they just barely lipped it think I missed about the same that I dumped on the hook set. The bite did turn on for about 20 minutes where they were going nuts and absolutely inhaling it.   

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Hello fellow Southern NY. anglers this is fishing related but not an ice fishing topic. To all of you who enjoy fishing for Striped bass please view my Topic titled DEC needs your help/striped bass and consider volunteering to help with the fish count.

Thank You.
   Mr.Clean/Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
 Harwater diehard thank you for providing the links and making it easier for others to see my topic post and the DEC press release. I need to learn how to provide links to items here on Ice Shanty.

Steve

Offline Jkrum10238

• IceShanty Rookie
anyone getting out on the north end of greenwood this week? Enough ice for snowmachines?

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
anyone getting out on the north end of greenwood this week? Enough ice for snowmachines?
End is near can’t wait for river eyes

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got into some bigger crappies this afternoon 19 was the number and one gill bite was better today but they were still a little finicky... todays catch puts me 12 away from 100 crappies hitting the ice this year. Was surprised when I counted them up yesterday didn't think I was that close

Offline laker5911

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone been a Big Pond lately? Planning on going Thu/Fri. Just concerned for ice thickness. (I’m assuming it would be a slushy mess.).   

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
Anyone been a Big Pond lately? Planning on going Thu/Fri. Just concerned for ice thickness. (I’m assuming it would be a slushy mess.).
what do you mean? there’s probably over 15inches of ice up there.  People have been fishing it since the 2nd week of December. 

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac

I have not been up there in quite a while but I suspect your assumption, "Slushy Mess" could be correct. I would not be concerned about thickness of the ice, just how hard the walking and dragging might be.

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
  Any  reports on ice conditions for Highland Lake area would be greatly appreciated. I plan on going on Saturday. Lou :o

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
To all who may be interested just a reminder that the Swan Lake Fire department contest is tomorrow Feb.27 Th at Swan Lake. details are below.

Registration is at Swan Lake Park on Briscoe Road (short distance off of state route 55)  goes from 6 AM to 7 AM , contest ends at 3PM . Weigh station closes at 3 PM sharp.
 Entry fee- Adults (16 & over) $10.00, Kids ( ages 7-15) $5.00 , kids ages 6 and under are free.
  Fish categories - Chain Pickerel, Perch and Panfish
Bait,refreshments will be available for purchase. Also raffles will be held.

Given daily high temperatures reaching into the forties the past few days you will find slush on the ice as the contest goes on and temperature rises.  To all who may attend Have fun and good fishing.

Steve

Offline SeaBeTree

• IceShanty Rookie
Canopus was closed to ice fishing today.  Any other reports of ice conditions in Putnam, Dutchess?

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Was anyone out this weekend on any of the Sullivan County lakes? Just hoping to hear the ice/slush conditions on whatever lakes you might have fished.

Offline dougie

• IceShanty Rookie
Was anyone out this weekend on any of the Sullivan County lakes? Just hoping to hear the ice/slush conditions on whatever lakes you might have fished.

Sullivan wasn't too bad but with the incoming weather it's shaping up to be a good weekend...and maybe the last.

Offline loustru

• Team IceShanty Regular
I decided to stay in north Jersey saturday and found sufficient ice in Sussex county,12 inches. Let's hope it lasts one more week.  :tipup:

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
We fished Wolf Lake (private lake) on Saturday, the ice was about 18" thick but all mixed. 3" of crust, 3" slush, then pretty good ice under that. Even though it rained on Saturday, the crust held up and we didn't break through.
Fishing was pretty slow.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My new Ice rig. After the mishap returning home from the King of the Ice contest when the axle under my Triton snowmobile trailer broke in half I had to repair it with a new axle and both wheels and tires. I always hated that trailer anyway because I could hardly lift the clamshell top if there was any snow or ice on top of it. It was also a PITA with the process of lifting and then tilting it to get in and out with my machine and gear. As soon as I got it all repaired I put it on Craig's list and sold it the next day.

Then I went and bought the trailer I really wanted and after a day of building and work I have it all set up the way I need it. It fits my Snowdog, both my 2 man Clam and my big Otter Pro Resort shanties and the two sleds and I still have room to fit another shanty. Unlike the wide snowmobile trailer this one tows easy and I  hardly notice it is behind me.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Got out yesterday for a bit 24 crappies 4 gills caught my 100th crappie for the year as well

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Loudmouth879 congratulations on a good day of fishing and reaching 100 crappies caught this ice fishing season. :thumbsup: :clap:

Gamalot may the new trailer serve your needs well ,nice work setting it up to handle your ice fishing gear.

Steve

Offline icefisherman10990

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thinking of trying white lake tomorrow.  Any one else going to be out?

Offline Jigger nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Dam Gamalot very nice ! When we get enough safe ice next year you Can tow it out with the Snow Dog. Congrats

Offline lech

• IceShanty Rookie
I want to go ice fishing tommorow.Anybody with information about ice condition on White pond I will apprecited.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.