Author Topic: Fishing Depth/Underwater Contour Maps  (Read 8625 times)

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing Depth/Underwater Contour Maps
« on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:41 AM »
I am looking for free depth maps for various Jersey lakes, particularly Lake Hopatcong and Mt. Hope Pond.  The NJ Fish & Wildlife website provides some "lake survey" maps (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/lakemaps.htm) but there are a limited number of lakes, and the resolution on the Hopatcong map is terrible.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,

-D

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
Re: Fishing Depth/Underwater Contour Maps
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:45 AM »
There used to be a book you can get with all the lakes depths and species in it but that was years ago....not sure if they still make it.

The bait stores on Lk Hopatcong sell really good maps of the lake with depths and such....thats where i got mine.

Offline steelchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:37 AM »
There's a little deli on Espanong Road in Lake Hopatcong. Actually right before you turn onto Nolans Point to go to Dows. It's the Espanong Deli. He has maps for sale in there from the Morris County Parks comission for Lake Hopatcong. He is selling them for $5.00 and they are the best I've ever seen of Lake Hopatcong. They are so detailed that you can see peoples individual docks at their houses. And of course it has all the contuors of the lake.... Tell them Bob from McKennas Pub sent you there. Sometimes he won't sell them to people unless they are frequent customers... They are in High Demand.. ;)

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2007, 12:48 PM »
There's a little deli on Espanong Road in Lake Hopatcong. Actually right before you turn onto Nolans Point to go to Dows. It's the Espanong Deli. He has maps for sale in there from the Morris County Parks comission for Lake Hopatcong. He is selling them for $5.00 and they are the best I've ever seen of Lake Hopatcong. They are so detailed that you can see peoples individual docks at their houses. And of course it has all the contuors of the lake.... Tell them Bob from McKennas Pub sent you there. Sometimes he won't sell them to people unless they are frequent customers... They are in High Demand.. ;)

Thanks for the info Steelchaser.  I was just thinking this morning about where I can get a contour map of Lake Hopatcong ! 

Ill check him out tomorrow.  Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2007, 01:49 PM »
I've got that older book with the lake contour maps at home, I'll repost with the title when I get home so you can search for it. It has maps of both lakes you were looking for, LH and Mt. Hope. Mt. hope is a pretty straightforward basin with deeper water being to the right of the beach if you were standing on the beach looking at the lake. If you cant find this book, I would have no problem photocopying the maps in the book, and relaying them to you somehow.
    Mt. Hope has been froze over for a week or so now, I was actually thinking of checking up on it this weekend, and definitely fishing it this next week a.m.
    I'll post that title up later tonight.

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2007, 03:59 PM »
I've got that older book with the lake contour maps at home, I'll repost with the title when I get home so you can search for it. It has maps of both lakes you were looking for, LH and Mt. Hope. Mt. hope is a pretty straightforward basin with deeper water being to the right of the beach if you were standing on the beach looking at the lake. If you cant find this book, I would have no problem photocopying the maps in the book, and relaying them to you somehow.
    Mt. Hope has been froze over for a week or so now, I was actually thinking of checking up on it this weekend, and definitely fishing it this next week a.m.
    I'll post that title up later tonight.

Just fished Mt. Hope this afternoon for ~4 hours with a buddy of mine.  NO FLAGS!  Used powerbait and was trying to locate some trout.  Fished there last Friday and got a nice 15" rainbow.  I wouldn't bother checking the place out though - very slow action.

I am interested in getting my hands on those maps that you have (for Mt Hope, Hopatcong and Aeroflex).  Let me know how you want to work that out.

Speaking of Aeroflex, where is a good place to fish for trout.  I've never been, but looking to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks,

-D

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:00 PM »

Thanks for the lead.  Ever have any luck at Aeroflex?  Trying to find a good place on the lake to try tomorrow for some trout.

-D

Offline kuz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2007, 04:28 PM »
make sure there is ice at aeroflex. i've never been able to catch good ice on there, but in the open water i do very well in the main basin of the lake. aeroflex for trout through the ice would be a new experience for me that I am looking forward to.

how much ice on mt. hope?

when i have fished mt. hope through the ice, everything I've caught I got jigging. been there when guys had tip ups all over the place, and didn't see them get any action, but I'm sure some guys have trout luck on tipups.
also, much of the time at mt. hope i see guys right in the middle, and all the trout i've jigged in there have been in shallower water. under 8ft.

ill copy those maps and carry them with me, and if we end up at the same lake, ill pass them along. keep me posted.

Offline D Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2007, 05:10 PM »
Mt. Hope had 4-5", a few concentrated open areas where there are springs.

A guy on the lake today said that he was at Aeroflex last weekend and did really well, so I assume that means there is adequate ice...at least in some places.  I guess we will see in the morning.

-D

Offline oldwolf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My first wife hated fishing!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2007, 10:57 PM »
Book you are looking for is "New Jersey Lake Survey Fishing Maps Guide" published by Sportsmen's Guides. Copy I have is Third Printing December 1990. Call 856-783-1271 and see if it is still in print.

Offline Jigmeister

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2007, 10:37 AM »
I have the same issue of the map book. Last time I was at Ramsey Outdoors in Ledgewood I saw a more recent copy.

Offline TonyTheIceMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2007, 03:01 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a Hydrographic Map (Underwater Contour) of Green Turtle Pond in West Milford?   ???

Tony

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.