Author Topic: Ice growth  (Read 1682 times)

Offline RAINBOW HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Ice growth
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 07:41 AM »
How many inches can the ice in a small pond become with temps in the low 20 and high 32,Teh big lake in front of my house is skimmed,but there is a small pond 100feet x 30 feet,thats loaded with fish that i wana ice fish on,is it worth the train ride to check it out?

MikeThePike

Re: Ice growth
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:04 AM »
All depends on if it was skimmed over already. If it wasn't then the winds will keep it from freezing at all. If its already skimmed a small lake that size should gain maybe an inch but probably not much more than that.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:25 AM »
If you are refering to MP, I think it is a waste of your time. For us at the JS being so close to the Atlantic, saltwater is in the air within ten miles of the coast on a east wind. Not only that, that pond gets sun at least 8 hours a day. Also because of the Dec./ Jan. thaw, the ground has not been frozen in 4 weeks (Insulation). With the wind blowing 30mph and it being 22.3F (now) makes for an uncomfortable day no matter how you dress. you may want to venture 2 towns north of there and fish for the winter stocked trout. I've seen some biggins' out of their lately.  Two blocks from the train Station too. Locally for us, I feel we wont see fishable ice for another 48 weeks (SHORE AREA) PM me if you want, I will be a little more specific.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Was at SL this afternoon and fished it for an hour. Windy and cold, had 4 hits on the mealy worm/ice jig combo under a bobber with no hookups. No ice present.  Plenty of white caps.

Offline RAINBOW HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:18 PM »
were you at the big part of sl or the small part closes to the train staton.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:21 PM »
east bridge, south side.

Offline RAINBOW HUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I bet mp was fishable yesterday,lake of the lillies had a inch yesterday and i was walking onit about 2 feet out when you can here the little cracks.So i bet macks has about 3-4 inches on it but probly down to 1 inch if anything now.

Offline HaveAuger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:29 PM »
It was openwater Sunday as I passed there on the way to SL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.