Author Topic: Greenwood Lake  (Read 10260 times)

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Greenwood Lake
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:42 PM »
i never fished Greenwood Lake so i was wondering if anyone could help me out here. Can anyone tell me where there is a public access point? I also have another question, if you have a New Jersey license can ylou fish the New York side? I dont know how this works, if anyone could help me out with these questions it would be much appreciated.

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Greenwood Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:44 PM »
you can fish with a new york or new jersey license. as far as parking thats a little tough!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:27 PM »
The only public access I know of in NJ is right at the dam (which isn't always a good option due to flowing water going to the dam) and off Brown Point I believe it is...the serious lack of access on that lake is the reason I never fished it much through the ice and the marinas charging $20 or more to launch kept me off it on the boat  :-\
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Breenmachine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Theres a state park with plenty of parking right before the turn to get to all the marinas I believe its about a mile and half past greenwood lake tackle and paintball on the right.

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:35 AM »
Browns Point I believe is one of the access points on the Jersey side. Its a park and can accommodate a good amount of parking. As for the ice over there Im not sure

Offline ecsteelheader

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "LIFE IS SHORT,FISH HARD!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:47 PM »
Anybody know how thick the ice is on Greenwood?? :tipup:
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Offline Breenmachine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Couldnt tell you how thick it was but i went past today and there were people out fishing.I went to waywayanda which had 9 inches so im sure the ice is safe.Im probably gonna hit greenwood on friday so ill put a post up.

Offline antihero429

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:08 PM »
Would you be able to park on the NY side and fish with your NJ license?  I'm just wondering if the access point matters.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:13 PM »
you have to follow the regulations for the state you're licensed in. that is the only thing you have to worry about. fish where you like, and access where you can.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:24 AM »
you have to follow the regulations for the state you're licensed in.
if you have NJ and NY licenses, does that mean you can have as much
baitfish as you want without 10 day receipt(no rules in nj), and fish with 5 tipups and 2 handhelds? (Newyork rule) :tipup:

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:48 AM »
if you have NJ and NY licenses, does that mean you can have as much
baitfish as you want without 10 day receipt(no rules in nj), and fish with 5 tipups and 2 handhelds? (Newyork rule) :tipup:

I know if you are on the NY side you need a receipt but on the NJ side you dont  :cookoo: :cookoo:  I'm pretty sure its only 5 lines total but its been a few years since I fished it

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I know if you are on the NY side you need a receipt but on the NJ side you dont  :cookoo: :cookoo:  I'm pretty sure its only 5 lines total but its been a few years since I fished it
if you hold a new jersey license, you just have to follow their bait rules, and regulations. the boundary is non-existent when fishing greenwood.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2010, 03:28 PM »
if you hold a new jersey license, you just have to follow their bait rules, and regulations. the boundary is non-existent when fishing greenwood.

My buddies accessed from NY last year with NJ licenses and were written tickets for not having a reciept. Maybe just a DEC in a bad mood??

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:46 PM »
What kind of receipt are you talking about - for the bait?  shiners?

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:39 PM »
NY requires you to purchase certified bait (baitfish)from NY bait shops.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:53 PM »
NY requires you to purchase certified bait (baitfish)from NY bait shops.
huh!  makes you wonder what the risks are for handing out bait receipt tickets anywhere!!!! who's to say what it could instigate? Arbitrarily, it is disturbing to think one day these stupid little pins and needle laws are more likely to provoke what they say they are trying to avoid! ..  think about it !!   jmho..
lonelywolf lol

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Gents,

I'd like to point out some facts found in the '09-10 NY Freshwater fishing guide. The reason for the bait fish receipt rule can be found in an article beginning on p 22.

"What is not understood is that a fish population in a pond, lake or stream is a part of a stable community that has evolved over many years. Add a foreign fish to this community and the entire system can thrown our of balance. Species such as brook trout that have evolved with few, if any, competitive fish species and rarely feed on fish, can be eliminated from a pond if baitfish or other non-native species are introduced. Baitfish such as alewife can also directly impact a fishery by feeding on the young of desirable fish species such as walleye. ...................... .. Baitfish can also harm native fish communities by spreading disease. To address this problem, DEC has established new regulations controlling the use of baitfish."

"Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than two hand lines and 5 tip-ups may be used, except as noted in BORDER WATERS, LAKE CHAMPLAIN or SPECIAL REGULATIONS BY COUNTY." P 18

P 13 License requirements for Border Waters-
Does a NY State fishing license entitle holder to fish the out-of-state portion of water listed below?

......... Greenwood Lake*            Yes                 *footnote- NYS permits fishing OOS portion from boat or ice only.

There doesn't seem to be any detail about the baitfish receipt concerning NJ residents but I would surmise that if you are on the NY side then NY rules apply so if you don't have a receipt then you probably can be legally liable for a summons since they have it in their rules.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:30 AM »
our of balance.

excuse the typo....... should be "out of balance"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:14 AM »
You must follow the rules for the state you are licensed in. What state you are in does not matter.

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:02 PM »
anyone know the ice conditions on greenwood?

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2010, 01:46 PM »
I have a friend out there now & he said there is at least 7" of ice where he is over by the islands. Sorry but not sure which one but he is off the NY end. As for action, he said a little slow so far.

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2010, 03:21 PM »
thank you very much

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:04 PM »
I have a friend out there now & he said there is at least 7" of ice where he is over by the islands. Sorry but not sure which one but he is off the NY end. As for action, he said a little slow so far.
has to be the jersey side. only two islands .. ny side has chapel island which is really more like a peninsula of private estate. doubtful greenwood will be safe if it stays rainy and warm. jmho
lonelywolf lol

Offline Steelhead71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Sorry you were right about what state.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:37 PM »
they were fishing off chapel island today. just not in the middle of the lake.

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:44 PM »
they were fishing off chapel island today. just not in the middle of the lake.
How is the ice yet? .. still safe?  really want to drill some holes and thinking swb tomorrow or the folowing day.
lonelywolf lol

Offline mtbusch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lonelywolf
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Has anybody here fished grreenwood lately?
lonelywolf lol

Offline hockey12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I had some friends go out on greenwood on saturday, they said there was about 5 inches on the north end.

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Yea I doubt theres 5 inches after today  >:(

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:03 AM »
Gonna check the local iceb asap

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.