Author Topic: Current ice conditions at Hopatcong?  (Read 10640 times)

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
Current ice conditions at Hopatcong?
« on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:59 PM »
A friend of mine has a summer house on Hopatcong and has offered to let me use it as a base and for access to the lake.  I'm thinking of going ice fishing for my very first time next weekend.  Can anyone tell me how thick the ice is in the main lake these days?  I'd be fishing somewhere near Halsey Island.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Current ice conditions at Hopatcong?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Squid as of friday halsey area stated to ice over. Maybe the stiff winds broke the ice up. Both sides of halsey are good for perch around 10-15 fow and maybe someone with the tools will take you out to get you started. If not stop by Dow's on Nolan Point and ask questions about setups and costs. But first walk on the ice and look and ask around.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:59 AM »
First time out, take care. Find someone who will show you the ropes. Do not go alone on early ice. Someone who fishes there should be willing to give you some pointers/help.

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Thanks to much of the knowledge found on this board I've been able to gather the euipment that I think is needed to get started.  I've got an 8" hand auger, tipups, jigging rod/holder and of course pimples and hooks. I also have the safety gear that I think I need, PFD, spud bar, rope, picks, etc..  I just really want to make sure that the ice is good before I wander out there and start drilling holes.  I'm thinking of going Saturday and starting my trip with a visit to Dows for bait and advice.  Hopefully all of this cold weather is building nice solid ice.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:18 PM »

Offline BTomasino

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Everywhere I have been on the lake it has been about 5"

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:33 PM »
I'd still be wary around Halsy where it deepens. Probibly safe at least in the shallow weeds but it just started icing a week ago. Maybe not for a newbie unless you see someone else out there. Squid you didn't mention an icescoop so u might want to pick one up. A baitnet to or you'll freeze your hands.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I was just told there is a section of open water by Halsey Island from a bubbler at Prospect Pt, and it goes across to the Windlass because of the wind.

Offline KneeDeepSteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:24 AM »
Anything on ice by Elba or Pickerel Point? Id ask about Chestnut but I don't think theres enough ice to make the long walk yet(not lucky enough to know someone close ;D).

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Can't say for sure, but my guess is its all good except for those spots from bubblers, just check with a spud bar as you go. I was also told there's an area in Byram Bay that's open as well, not sure exactly where though.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:35 PM »
I was just told there is a section of open water by Halsey Island from a bubbler at Prospect Pt, and it goes across to the Windlass because of the wind.
Was there today. Nothing less then 4 inches even within 50 ft of a big bubbler.

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 11:34 AM »
GiantSquid the NJ icefishing community wants to know how your first day on the ice was.

Offline Sposell0427

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Well there were 9" at the state park area near shore, and between 7 and 8 far from shore on Monday the 11th.  I heard the Halsey area was still iffy.  Hope it helps  :)

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2010, 09:37 PM »
I'm sorry to say that I still haven't been able to get my first hardwater fishing in yet.  My father in law went into the hospital with heart trouble and I couldn't get out.  I went past Davidsons Mill pond  a week or so ago and there were guys out there fishing it.  Hopatcong is pretty solid from what I hear and I'm dying to get out there.  My father in law had to have heart surgery and I'm watching the kids.  I was going to take today off work and fish while the girls were at school but my wife thought it would be dis-respectful to fish while my father in law was having heart surgery.  I'm not a heart surgeon and couldn't help.  Since she didn't want me to fish I just went to work.

How bad is this warm weather going to mess with the ice?  I can't wait to use my new auger and catch a fish out of a hole in the ice.  I don't even care if it's a sunny - I just need to catch a fish.  It's been over a month since I've caught a fish.  My last trip was for Tog (Blackfish).  I might have a shot at Hopatcong Sunday morning.  If anyone is going out early and wouldn't mind a green-horn tagging along please let me know.

Tight lines!

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:10 PM »
GS best wishes for a full recovery for your inlaw. Fishing could wait when your family needs you.

Offline fishgalore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:42 AM »

How bad is this warm weather going to mess with the ice?  I can't wait to use my new auger and catch a fish out of a hole in the ice.  I don't even care if it's a sunny - I just need to catch a fish.  It's been over a month since I've caught a fish.  My last trip was for Tog (Blackfish).  I might have a shot at Hopatcong Sunday morning.  If anyone is going out early and wouldn't mind a green-horn tagging along please let me know.

Tight lines!

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about concerning the ice thickness. I'm also pretty sure we are going to Hopatcong this weekend although not certain where on Hopatcong we are going. Your welcome to tag along. I'll PM you.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:35 AM »
Same here...going to State Park today and probably Sunday(as long as it doesnt rain)

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:23 AM »
I'll be at the state park sat am. If the ice is 9" like I heard then 45 deg. weather shouldn't be an issue. Sunday has a real good chance of rain--Good Luck Today Kool!
Post condtions if you get a chance. Thanks!
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I'll be at the state park sat am. If the ice is 9" like I heard then 45 deg. weather shouldn't be an issue. Sunday has a real good chance of rain--Good Luck Today Kool!
Post condtions if you get a chance. Thanks!

Sub...i was there yesterday and today. It was in the 40's yesterday and in the 20's at night and the holes i made Thursday were frozen today,couldnt even get a heel through. The snow started to melt today turning to slush making water proof boots pretty important. Should tighten up after freezing temps tonight.
Ice was 10"

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Hopefully the rain holds off until afternoon like they are saying so we can all get Sunday morning in at the worst.

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Sub...i was there yesterday and today. It was in the 40's yesterday and in the 20's at night and the holes i made Thursday were frozen today,couldnt even get a heel through. The snow started to melt today turning to slush making water proof boots pretty important. Should tighten up after freezing temps tonight.
Ice was 10"

Thanks Kool! Hopefully everything is a go tomorrow. I will post anything good. (taking an ice fishing virgin out tomorrow, should be interesting ;D)

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Thanks Kool! Hopefully everything is a go tomorrow. I will post anything good. (taking an ice fishing virgin out tomorrow, should be interesting ;D)

Its looking good...i am actually taking my 12yo son and his friend who has never gone before. Should be interesting for sure!

Offline wnieradka

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:49 PM »
I may go aswell, where do you guys usually go? Woodport I'm guessing?

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Had a great time with Pop, the ice fishing newbie backed out at the last minute but we still had a great time. 10 flags and 10 fish!!!!
Pop jigged a nice perch and the rest were chain pickerel. GREAT WEATHER yesterday, I hope this little heat wave doesn't hurt the ice too much. 10" of ice as of Saturday.

Just as a side note the State Police walked out yesterday and checked everyones gear and paperwork. They actually checked the names on the
tip ups, first time in history that every happened! ::)

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:37 PM »
where did you go? we had about 10" at state park today. rain made it fun :tipup:

kool- were u guys at the state park today too?

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:00 PM »
where did you go? we had about 10" at state park today. rain made it fun :tipup:

kool- were u guys at the state park today too?

Yeah...me and 2 friends fished the state park along the shorelne straight out from the dam a couple hundred yards.Had the little blue shanty...fished from daybreak to 1pm and caught something like 13 pickerel. It was lke pencil pickerel day,majority of the fish were 1lb-1.5lbs.
Would of stayed but the action just died once it started coming down hard.

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:16 PM »
cool, we fished over the other side, i saw your blue shanty over there. i had my green shanty up... we got a few perch, some bass, and some picks. fished from about 9 am until about an hour into the rain then bailed out and went pike fishin on the way home.

Offline KingKool

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lunker Hunter
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:28 PM »
cool, we fished over the other side, i saw your blue shanty over there. i had my green shanty up... we got a few perch, some bass, and some picks. fished from about 9 am until about an hour into the rain then bailed out and went pike fishin on the way home.

I saw you guys...you stuck it out longer than us!! Saturday(yesterday) my son,his friend and i were around the area you guys were in today and caught a few decent pickerel(largest 23" and 4lbs,had a 4 or 5 inch bluegill in its stomach,you could actually see and feel the outline of it),bass and perch on tip ups  but also had a ton of tripped flags from hit and drops. Also jigged up a couple crappie,perch and sunnies there late in the day.

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:37 PM »
thats funny, the guys fishing next to us had a similar pick today with the outline of the sunfish in its stomach, maybe it was the same one!

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:25 AM »
Anyone know what the recent warm spell is doing to the ice at hopatcong? Melting it obviously lol, but think we'll still have safe ice for the rest of the week, or would you not risk it?  Was thinking about heading out Wednesday morning, but would be going alone, and don't feel like ending up on the 6 oclock news if it's not safe.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.