The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Reports Nov 07  (Read 1131 times)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice Reports Nov 07
« on: Nov 28, 2007, 06:32 PM »
I drove back to Great Falls from Minnesota after Thanksgiving and about every lake and stream I saw had ice on it.  Has anyone seen ice in Montana yet?  I'm ready that's all I'm waiting for.  Also, I am wondering if anyone ice fishes the river in Great Falls, or does it even build enough ice to go out on?  It's my first winter here in Montana.  I'm going to head up to Tiber as soon as I hear there is good ice. 

Offline Coldfinger007

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Reports Nov 07
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:12 PM »
I've been monitoring the Great Falls area, and haven't seen or heard anything about folks being out on the ice (heck, haven't seen much ice except for the Sun River).  I don't know about ice fishing the rivers around here, as I'm fairly new to the area also.  Tiber and Ft Peck are definetly on my to-do list this winter.

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2007, 10:19 PM »
I was in northeast Montana over Thanksgiving chasing pheasants.  Walked out on a couple of  small dams that had 2-4 inches on them.  I believe the weather has been cold so the ice has most likely grown.  It looked like someone had fished near the bridge at Medicine Lake.  The pike fishing is usually hot at first ice there.  Has anybody heard anything about pishkun or split rock.  We are planning a weekend trip up there as soon as we hear the good word on ice. Happy ice hunting. 

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:50 PM »
I have never seen anyone fish the river in Great Falls and I grew up there.  There were always stories of people dieing from going through the ice.  The river has some nasty currents so you never know how thick the ice will be on your next step.  I wouldn't recommend going out there. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.