Author Topic: Give Them What They Want  (Read 833 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give Them What They Want
« on: Dec 25, 2009, 04:59 PM »
So, I now have a Vex to play with when I'm fishing. I used it yesterday with success. Cecking out Vex's web site for instructions I ran across Dave Genz's video "Ice Fishing With A Vexilar FL18".

Additional operating information aside, I was taken by his approach and commentary on changing presentations.He was perch fishing and said that the fish that day wanted a whole minnow in a horizontal presentation but, that he sometimes used just a minnow head to get them to bite.  I've always poked around for what the fish were looking for, but was never able to tell if they were even looking at the bait.

Yet another advantage to the flasher.

So....what are some of the tricks you use to get them to bite?

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
Re: Give Them What They Want
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:15 PM »
minimize the hook and bait size, let one rod sit and twitch the other, smash a sweedish pimple in the mud, tease the crappies, put right on top of the walleyes.

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Bouncing right on the bottom when you can see them in the weeds then lifting slowly till they appear.I find when you have stubborn fish(red all over your jig),I lift quickly about 2 feat above usually triggers a bite.Sometimes drifting down to them slowly.Pretty much all your old tricks but now you can see how they are reacting.It is so addicting isn't it? :P ;)

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:44 PM »
Bouncing right on the bottom when you can see them in the weeds then lifting slowly till they appear.I find when you have stubborn fish(red all over your jig),I lift quickly about 2 feat above usually triggers a bite.Sometimes drifting down to them slowly.Pretty much all your old tricks but now you can see how they are reacting.It is so addicting isn't it? :P ;)
Addicting? You're not kidding! Gonna try that 2 foot rip next time I'm out. I'll sometimes pull it away slowly to see if their interested. If they follow then I'll hold it still.
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2009, 06:40 PM »
In my favorite crappie hole allot of times they are not real aggressive. They will look for what seems like forever. I'll slowly get just above them and then hold steady. Most will bite, if I hold it. (live Minnow). If I move too much after I'm set they will leave 6 out of 10 times.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:34 PM »
small glow jigs, tiny spoons, and to get that little fluttery motion i tense up my rod arm just enough to shake a little bit.

Offline Boonerator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:44 PM »
today on 'toga...the gills would follow it up about 4 feet and all I had to do was drop it back down slowly.. it worked...tomorrow might be another game  ???
BBD

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Cool info. Much of what I do already. The slow drop has always triggered gills and sunnies...sometimes perch. The rip...actually I use a three step rip, and then letting it settle towards the bottom is deadly on perch.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.