New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Harbor freight camera  (Read 775 times)

Offline bighillbilly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't go messin' with a country boy...
Harbor freight camera
« on: Jan 08, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Got to try out my new underwater camera from harbor freight today.  WOW!  I have heard many negatives about the product so wanted to share my positives.

I used the camera in side view about 18 inches from my jig in 6 feet of water.  Amazing clarity in the picture, and I was able to get a nice field of vision around my jig - about 12 inches from what I could tell.  No need for the shade in the shanty.  Caught the most bluegill in one day that I ever have and learned a great deal about what makes bluegill tick.  Also saw some nice largemouth lurking and managed to get one to bite - about 16".

The camera performed well, setup was easy, no problem with battery (used it for 3 1/2 hours non-stop) and the carrying case it came with is great to store the components. 

The camera retailed for $100.00.

As an aside, I rigged a gator type clip onto a small 10" piece of trim and clipped the cord from the camera into it and rested it over the second hole - easy to control depth and position the camera.

Nice addition to my gear.

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Harbor freight camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2006, 02:10 AM »
      I used mine on the Sac the other day/night and it did perform as well. My only concern is if it will work again as I'd heard they were not as waterproof as you'd think they should be. I left it out in the car to freeze it's thing for and extra day or so.
      The pack it's in is great 'till you have to recoil the line to stuff it back into the bag at five degrees above zero. It don't work for us arthritic fingered old folk. We'll figger sumpin' out as it's kinda fun, and helped us decide to move the shacks. It looked like a desert down on the bottom at 20+ feet. All sand, and one lonely minnow tryin' to swim around.
       We'll keep trying it 'till we learn EVERYTHING about fishin' in another week or so. Tight lines. :tipup: ;D
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.