New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1024770 times)

Offline sportsmenoftheyear

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #1020 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:16 AM »
Fished 27 ft yesterday and the eyes were biting way up in the water column. Got a limit jigging 10-15 down. Not sure why they were cruising so high

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1021 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:20 AM »
I remember when I was about 15 or so,my brother and I made some spoons out some actual forks that my mom was going to throw away.cut off the fork,drilled holes on both ends,attached hooks with o rings and off we went.my dad dropped us off at borio's,walked out east of the islands,spuded two holes,and started jigging.no bait.we caught about 20 nice slab perch and 3 keeper waldos between us.our dad met us at sundown and was so happy that we slammed on lures we made!! Best day ever!!
Nice story swampking.
  No ATV , no snomobile, no auger , no electronics, no shack, no bait {catch your bait),......  just a couple of jigging rods, a spud bar, and some home made lures  !

....man have things changed !

Nice job on the shallow eyes Bobby Deadeyez .

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1022 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Nice job Deadeyez!!!

Oh, and I never bait my jigging raps.  :nono: ;D

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #1023 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:40 AM »
Nice Deadeyez!!!  Way to throw em a curve. Going to have to try that next time they are being finiky.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1024 on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:51 AM »

Bobby being the old wore out carpenter you are 😉I think the sno sled is going to come in handy after this ,
     I tried heading north yesterday but I turned around at Adams , it was miserable, visibility was poor at best ,

Offline cnypanfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1025 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Got out after work for the evening bite. Fished from 4-5:30. 3-6 inches of snow on top of 15 inches of ice where I was. Decided to try a bit shallower than I normally fish so I drilled over 20 fow. I like fishing a little shallower near structure before approaching storms. Started marking fish immediately but had trouble getting them to commit. Took the bait off my jigging rap and it was game on. Ended up going 7 for 10 on eyes. Two of the fish I landed were shorts and the other 5 were keepers. It was nice to get on em as I’ve been a slave to my job lately lol. That was my first trip out in 2 weeks. Should have my sled back soon so I can get out after this snow we are supposed to get.

I have wheels and i'm available in the afternoons for the night bite, no problem.

Just started snowing here, lets see if it lasts or it is just weather people crying wolf again. :)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #1026 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:58 AM »
Took the bait off my jigging rap and it was game on.

Did you ever try fishing chubby darters on Oneida? In that situation it might be a good option and they work very well at times on a couple of our lakes here. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1027 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I had a spud to start out with then a spoon auger .....rods were home made  broken rods  with a wooden dowel handle and  bent wire to wrap  black Dacron line on  sinker 2 hooks and a stop at martys bait in port Ontario .....bobber watching   then  we moved up to a Swedish pimple  or a pop top with a hook and a split shot ....I remember   ice fisherman stopping at the wigwam for a few drinks after ..... life was good

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1028 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:05 AM »
Did well this summer out of the boat jigging perch with a chubby darter. We were on a slow drift, and I was able to keep the lure under the transducer, just like ice fishing, tease 'em up. It was great until my buddies figured out what I was up to, then they all seemed to want to fish in my corner. lol.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1029 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:17 AM »
I have wheels and i'm available in the afternoons for the night bite, no problem.

Just started snowing here, lets see if it lasts or it is just weather people crying wolf again. :)
Was that you I saw yesterday afternoon out on the ice. Had a guy circle us on same sled as u have.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1030 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:21 AM »
Thanks guys! I usually don’t bait my jigging raps either Bruce. The eyes usually can’t resist the action of those lures  without bait on them. I never used the darter slipbob. Usually never have to leave my tried and true whether casting or jigging. I think it’s more of a confidence thing for me.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #1031 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:41 AM »
A lot of guys don't like the light weight sluggish feel of the chubby, but some days the fish go bonkers for that action. "Some days"  ;)

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1032 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:05 AM »
A lot of guys don't like the light weight sluggish feel of the chubby, but some days the fish go bonkers for that action. "Some days"  ;)

That's great you tried them out of the boat.  I've never used them in open water but once you start getting down past say 20 feet you start to lose a little feel on the drop but when walleyes are responsive to the chubby "D"'s you won't miss the bite :tipup:

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Thanks guys! I usually don’t bait my jigging raps either Bruce. The eyes usually can’t resist the action of those lures  without bait on them. I never used the darter slipbob. Usually never have to leave my tried and true whether casting or jigging. I think it’s more of a confidence thing for me.

Gotcha and I think we're all the same with confidence baits on our home lake or lakes.  I try and force myself to fish different ways at least commit to it for an hour or so.  Last couple years I've been using the snap raps out of the boat while slowly backtrolling humps and points after marking walleyes and having good luck with that when they quit biting bucktails or plastics.  The snap raps you never feel the hit but they are just there when you go and lift it again. 

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I had a spud to start out with then a spoon auger .....rods were home made  broken rods  with a wooden dowel handle and  bent wire to wrap  black Dacron line on  sinker 2 hooks and a stop at martys bait in port Ontario .....bobber watching   then  we moved up to a Swedish pimple  or a pop top with a hook and a split shot ....I remember   ice fisherman stopping at the wigwam for a few drinks after ..... life was good
careful Trap....my favorite finesse rod is 25 years old, at least.....old wooden dowel handle......crap, I am gettin old....just can't part with some things

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1035 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:08 AM »
I have a box of chubby darters up to 2.5” I have used them on Oneida I have caught a few eyes and some perch ,tough to beat a rap and spoons

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1036 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:14 AM »
careful Trap....my favorite finesse rod is 25 years old, at least.....old wooden dowel handle......crap, I am gettin old....just can't part with some things
Still have a few of my old home made ice rods like yours and trappers .  The tip of an old broken full size  fiberglass fishing rod and a wooden dowel handle..no reel.
In fact ,looking back , fished for years and years and never had a reel on a jigging rod. Set the hook and hand line 'em in.  First reel I ever put and used on a jigging rod was one of those round plastic ones .
 Still have an original spoon auger too ...and even knowing it will never be used again , just can't get rid of it. Like you said scout, "just can't part with some things".

Would like to know if the snow is piling up on Oneida ? (don't have the web cam )

I've got afew Chubby darters too, in 2 sizes,....great colors and finishes, but I never had much luck with them.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1037 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:52 AM »
Still have a few of my old home made ice rods like yours and trappers .  The tip of an old broken full size  fiberglass fishing rod and a wooden dowel handle..no reel.
In fact ,looking back , fished for years and years and never had a reel on a jigging rod. Set the hook and hand line 'em in.  First reel I ever used on a jigging rod was one of those round plastic ones .
 Still have an original spoon auger too ...and even knowing it will never be used again , just can't get rid of it. Like you said scout, "just can't part with some things".

Would like to know if the snow is piling up on Oneida ? (don't have the web cam )

I've got afew Chubby darters too, in 2 sizes,....great colors and finishes, but I never had much luck with them.

Webcam http://oneidalakeview.com/webcams/oneida+lake+view/first

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1038 on: Feb 07, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I have tried a chubby darter a few times and always went back to the rap. I even tried it out of the boat last year. Maybe I need to give it more time, I am sure it is a confidence thing.

Snowing steady here choo choo. Guessing we have gotten about 4" so far.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1039 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Thanks perchice and reeleyz...want to get up there in the next few days or week end.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #1040 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:20 PM »
snowing pretty good in Maple Bay.....like reeleyz said around 3-4" so far.....could make wheelers a tough go without chains

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1041 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:53 PM »
Thanks perchice and reeleyz...want to get up there in the next few days or week end.

Hey Steve you need to meet us up on the river sometime soon. The fishing has been pretty good this year.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1042 on: Feb 07, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Hi kc.. Will pm you when I get up north...
Got to find elusive  jumbo perch on Oneida first !

say hi to kowboy for me ...have not seen any Oneida reports from either of you .

PM sent to you kc

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #1043 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Hi kc.. Will pm you when I get up north...
Got to find elusive  jumbo perch on Oneida first !

say hi to kowboy for me ...have not seen any Oneida reports from either of you .

PM sent to you kc

I don't fish Oneida very often, so I don't know my way around there very well.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1044 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:28 PM »

my finesse rods  for the past 30 years been 36 inch micro lite bream rods with 2 pound golden stren  ... the broom handle rods were  60 years ago lol

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1045 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:15 PM »
I just purchased an ultra_light tickle stick 27" long   I have many different types of rods including custom ones but after landing a limit of gills yesterday, this may be my rod of choice.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1046 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:36 PM »
27 is  ok in a  shanty  when your sitting down  but a  36  is  great for  walking around  and  in 1o foot of water I  don't need a reel

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1047 on: Feb 08, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Guys that run machines out of Godfrey use extreme caution .... the crack opened up at the end of boat launch my spud went through with 2 whacks. I'm a walker so I accessed the lake directly in front of state launch sign..... right of concrete pier. Fishing was slow managed a 17" eye   and a bunch of smaller perch .  Raps worked better than spoons for me yesterday no meat . 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1048 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:26 AM »
Thanks for the heads up about the launch , I personally don’t use the launch either  as it is very unpredictable, many people have got wet and muddy over the years , it doesnt freeze well ,

Offline esocidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1049 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:30 AM »
Hey XxFISH4EYEZxX
Were you there before the snow or after the snow came yesterday?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.