Author Topic: Sagey Maple Breakfast Sausage From Store Bought Ground Pork  (Read 1785 times)

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Here at La Casa del Whacko in beautiful Downtown Spring Texas Pig Meat is King. 

Anything from the ears to the trotters will find it's way onto a plate.  But one of life's greatest pleasures is 4 links of sausage lying on a plate w/ a stack of Dad's recipe sour buckwheat cakes, sweet cream butter and a glog of Somerset County Pa maple syrup.

But sometimes, between Squach Watchin' and holdin' court at the High Ceiling, our towns best, and only, hydration parlor, there's just no time to grind up a pork butt.

So the day drunks, lay abouts and ne'er-do-wells... err... ahh... I mean the brain trust, at the High Ceiling went into conclave.  When the white smoke stopped appearing from the men's room fan, (Cuzzin Cleteus says it helps him think.  No wonder that stuff's illegal...), the brain work was done.

Anywho, a dispensation was granted and store bought ground pork was allowed on a limited basis.  Like if you didn't have time 'cause you was polishin' your Squatchin' boots, or had a bad hangover...

Now the onlyest caveat is this:  Since pork butt runs about 19 - 20 % fat ya gotta add some fat to make a good sausage.  Your goal should be 25-30% fat in your finished product. 

So the next time you're fixin' to pull some pork on the Weber Smokey Mountain trim some of that hard fat off the cap, freeze it for 25 minutes then grind it thru your fine plate. Package it in plastic sandwich bags in 3-4 oz portions, (That's about the required addition for a lb of ground pork.)  'Member, ya gots to keep that fat COLD when you're grindin' or it'll smear and you'll be screwed, blued and tat-frickin'-tooed...

With that fat standing by, already ground, when you gits a hankerin' for le roi des saucisses, chéri, you can do this:

Sagey Maple Breakfast Sausage
Ingredients
16 oz ground pork.  Add 3-4 oz ground fat so mix is 25 – 30% fat   1-1/2  tsp ground sage   
1/2 tsp ground coriander  1/2 tsp fresh coarse ground black pepper  1/4 tsp msg  1 tsp salt  1/2 tsp dried thyme     1/4 tsp Oregano  1/2 tsp Garlic Salt 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper(optional) 1-1/2 Tbl Maple Sugar or 2 Tbl maple syrup  3/4 tsp dried parsley  1/2 c Ice water.   

Directions
Make sure the meat and all your tools and ingredients are VERY cold, 25-30 minutes in the freezer should do it..  Add all the ingredients to a stand mixer bowl. Mix on lowest speed until spices are well mixed, 4-5 minutes.  Take a taste and adjust spices.  Place the sausage in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.  Link in sheep’s casing or leave as bulk.

I leave out the maple to make a more savory product for biscuits and gravy, breakfast tacos and eggs.
But with the cakes it's a lagniappe.

Cuzzin' Cletus says, "So good it'll make ya lay down and scream..."

Enjoy!

Uncle Shorty
The German Cajun
I wasn't born in the Big Sandy Creek Unit.
But that's where my ashes will lie...

Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline the_doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Sagey Maple Breakfast Sausage From Store Bought Ground Pork
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:11 PM »
Thank you for your posts! They are great. I will try this sausage soon...

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2024, 11:33 PM »
Thank you for the complement.

Next time you're in Beautiful Downtown Spring, Texas, just across the sewage canal from the creosote plant, first round at the High Ceiling's on me...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:03 PM »
Mmmmmm! Unc! I make a lotta fresh sausage and this fits right in where I like to go! I know the uninitiated will look at the recipe and say, "1/2 a cup of water?!?!? That's a lotta water! Yes and no. You gotta have something to activate all those dry spices and herbs (about 2 TBSP worth) to make 'em taste like something!'

Yes, this is in my future. Tomorrow we'll be gathering to make, mmmmmm, 300#s or so of summer sausage to be cold smoked. An annual event. Gonna be fun! It always is.

Thanks UncleShorty!  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2024, 06:24 PM »
Nice, going to give it try when I find some pork on sale.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2024, 03:20 PM »
Esox, UPS delivers to LA Casa Del Whacko in Beautiful Downtown Spring, TX, just across the sewage canal from the creosote plant...

Just a heads up for when that Summer Sausage is done...

You ever do any curing?  I just cut up and froze the last 1/2 lb of buckboard bacon I cured and smoked in early Jan.  Whole loins are on sale down at the WigglyPiggly this week.  Back bacon going into the cure Sunday...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.