Author Topic: Eating Burbot  (Read 6355 times)

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eating Burbot
« on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Made it back from LOTW and got to try the burbot my buddy caught and I gotta say that I wish we had them in our lakes cause that was some of the tastiest stuff I've had in a long time. I know I'll be doing as much reading and studying to catch more of these fish when I get back up north.  ;D

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Eating Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Just had my 1st ones boiled in old bay seasoning and dipped in butter DELICIOUS is all i can say. I used to just beer batter them but that wont be happening anymore. Ill save it for the crappie and perch
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:56 AM »
I always like boiling it and then saute it with garlic and cajun seasoning. But the last time i cooked it i pan seard it and used it for fish tacos. It was delicious.

Offline wally-eye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:30 PM »
Mix some 7UP with your water.......50/50 mixture......boil then dip in drawn butter.........yum o......

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:00 PM »
I boiled it in water with a few lemon wedges for a minute then sautéed them in butter and fresh garlic and it was pretty much like crack to the kids and me. I only got a few pieces actually cause they hogged it down pretty quick. All I know is when I make it back up north I'll be doing a lot of burbot fishing  ;D

Offline Sprucedoggy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2012, 12:19 AM »
I caught a bunch of burbots a month ago, we ate a huge meal right away and they were excellent.  I put some in the fridge to cook in a few days and the rest vacum sealed.  The ones i put in the fridge and cooked about three days after i caught them tasted pretty offensive and the dog wouldnt even touch them.. I pulled some out of the freezer yesterday and slowly thawed, and ate them today, and they were exellent.

this tells me they need to be froze emediatly after bieng caught or eaten right away, vacum sealed probly doesnt hurt either

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2012, 05:43 AM »
I used a Crawfish boil seasoning bag on my last batch and it was outta this world Tasty ! :thumbsup:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2012, 06:54 PM »
Burbot are also great if you cut the fillets up in cubes / nuggets, coat them in the mix of your choice and deep fry.
Deep frying is my favorate way of preparing them, nice and crispy with great flavor.
Serve with french fries, tasty taters / tater tots or rice. Ummmm mmm good. ;)

For a most of our burbot and other fish, we just fry in a pan with a bit of flower and spices in the mix and serve with rice.

Darn, now I'm hungry. :woot:

WW

Offline ShrinkageFactor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:58 PM »
How long do you boil them for?

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:33 PM »
How long do you boil them for?
I'm by no means an expert on the matter and actually only done it once. But I only boiled it for a minute maybe until it turned white. We went to red lake this year and not sure if I'll make it to lotw but you sure got me thinking about it now.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Cut  fillets in small pieces ,soak over night in Italian dressing ,then rap with bacon, place in oven at 400 till   bacon starts to crisp up . Then enjoy with a beer.
hook and cook

Offline slacktime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:07 PM »
Filet the Burbot, cut filets in half lengthwise, use only meat form the top half of the fish. Marinade overnite in ranch dressing. Use a thin plank of cedar, smear it good with olive oil, season with salt and herbs, put the filets on the plank, put in oven 350* for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, throw away the fish and eat the cedar plank!

Offline slacktime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2013, 01:17 PM »
Sorry to be a smartass. Congrats on trip to LOTW, I am jealous. I have been there several times but never in winter. Glad  you weren't one the five guys in the exploding fish house on Zippel Bay. Tight lines to you.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:55 PM »
When I boil ling I simply wait till the pieces float. When they float to the top, they are done. My best way to cook Ling is melting a stick of butter in a pan. Add plenty of garlic to the hot melted butter and saute for a minute or two. I like them better than any other fresh water fish I have eaten, including Walleye.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.