Author Topic: RE RE Hogsback TT  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Abouch77

• IceShanty Rookie
RE RE Hogsback TT
« on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:08 AM »
You are right TT... in the end I suppose we all deserve what we get.  I truly hope you don't get what you deserve. Thanks for the judgement call though. I was simply trying to give the guy a heads up about what to expect if he is gonna try and go to either of the farmington river reservoirs since some of the guys were talking about going early. For your information, since you want to call me out without fully knowing what you are talking about...i was told by one MDC officer that as long as my vehicle was parked ouside the gate and wasn't in the parking lot when they wanted to lock the gate, I would be all set. The next time I was in there another MDC officer gave me a ticket for tresspassing. They are both beautiful bodies of water and the closed at dusk rule is BS. Plus as I said in my original response, in case you missed it, I was frustrated by the inconsistancy. Since I have somehow offended you, not sure exactly why, maybe you work for the MDC for all I know, I appologize. I am just a fishing enthusiast who has tried to fish at the best fishing times which are off limits in what would be one of my favorite spots if it wasnt for the fear of being treated like a terrorist when trying to do so.  I wish you the best of luck in your outdoor persuits as I feel that as outdoor enthusiast we are all on (or at least should act like) we are all on the same team.

I'd also like to add, just for the record, I never said I didn't deserve the fine. I paid it even though, in my opinion, it was wrongly issued base on the info I had which was right from the mouth of one of the enforcers. I just wanted jwad to have the info so he didn't get jammed up with an unexpected fine. Also, the walking path coming from the riverton side doesn't have a gate to even close. I can end up on the dam without having to jump a fence or gate, or cut a lock or chain. So closed is an interesting way to describe it and based on my personal experiences is kinda confusing.

Thank God for good friends, good food, good beer, and good fishing!

Offline moose444

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RE RE Hogsback TT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2015, 08:39 AM »
Thought TT came down too harshly on a very public forum where he really knows nothing about Abouch77.... Seems like the situation Abouch77 is speaking about is open to interpretation. Our state's fisheries do a great job but news flash they are not perfect and leave some things grey  (see Batterson park ice fishing situation) so I fully understand exploring to see what the situation really is...No one is perfect TT...

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I guess the other hogsback thread got lock? Don't seem like it was too out of line, was it dusk?

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:42 AM »
some really nice guys on this site, huh aaron. tt must never do anything wrong. hope i get to be perfect like him someday.
wishing i was still young

Offline MrFishfinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:07 AM »
Sadly, there is no mention of it closing from dusk to dawn in the CT anglers guide...However there is a sign at the boat launch stating just that. One could argue ignorance of the law, if you walked down the logging or goat trail where there are no signs. 

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:19 AM »
Abouch...if you ever want to park at my house I'll drop you off either spot...no one will know where you are.  I live 3 minutes from either.

However I got to say your better off hitting Onota.  The smelt are larger, no night issues...and you can drive on.  (should be getting really good soon)

Oh probably most relevant is you can hammer smelt at Colebrook during the day so why bother with bending the rules.

Offline Yukon Rozz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:40 AM »
Hogsback doesn't close, the gate does though we use to park on the road and fish it all night long never an issue.The guy that unlocked the gate use to let me drive my handicapped father down to the brick building on the damn I would leave my truck there during daylight when fishing with dad.We would get lots of big trout on pieces of smelt ,dads ravorite place to fish.Don't let the haters on this site get you down!!!

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Sadly, there is no mention of it closing from dusk to dawn in the CT anglers guide...However there is a sign at the boat launch stating just that. One could argue ignorance of the law, if you walked down the logging or goat trail where there are no signs.
You are correct. There is a sign at both Hogback and Colebrook stating " area closed dusk to dawn". I see no need to defend myself on the statement I made. I was just expressing my opinion of what was said in the original post by Abouch77. I am not perfect and if I do something that I have knowledge that is against the rules and get caught I wouldn't say that I was being harassed. I have fished both places for many years and never had a problem at either.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:29 PM »
Rozz what was posted about getting a fine is accurate.  One of the guys could care less the other "does his job"  If you've been lucky...amen! 

Offline weneric

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:02 PM »
you are a good guy iowaccord. abouch77 is a good friend of mine. its sad to see tt jumping on a guy with only seven posts.   nice way to welcome someone to the site.
wishing i was still young

Offline livetoicefish90

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish and fish to live. It's my way of life
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2015, 03:53 PM »
Well said weneric well said

Offline Abouch77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:05 PM »
I certainly do not want an ongoing argument here. I felt I needed to clarify and expand upon what my experiences were. I am not a hater, I love the area and both bodies.  I thought it a good idea to give others the info I had to keep them from getting into trouble.  The area, however you choose to define it, is closed dusk to dawn. You do face the possibility of running into an officer who may ticket you.  I did not have any of this information when I got the ticket that I deserved.  I personally dont like being told I have to leave. As a responsible conservation advocate, and hunter/fisherman I feel I can make that decision myself. That said it is private property and their rules are their rules. So its my choice to not spend as much time there as I used to.  TT doesn't know me anymore than I know him.  While his response to me did seem harsh, he is right, I broke the law and paid the ticket. If the word "harrassed" is too strong or doesn't fit then I will take it back. I am not sure what word to use so I won't replace it.  If anyone out there, has fished there whenever they wanted to, and not had any problems then more power to you. If you have a pretty good understanding of the laws and know how to fish there without running into trouble then thats awesome, have at it.

The possitive people and information on this sight way outweigh the negatives. I can't wait everyday to get on here and see what you guys and gals are fishing and how you did. I have gotten some great information and I appreciate your sharing experiences with the rest of us.  Good Luck to all and stay safe through the rest of the season. Here's hoping it stretches out a long while this year!

Offline Abouch77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:23 PM »
lowaccord66 I am not familiar with Onota. MA? or CT? I would definately be up for checking it out. Also, thanks so much for the offer, I haven't had very good luck with them during the day. I used to smelt at Colebrook early morning (prior to my knowledge that it was closed at that time)and then it would shut off when the sun came up. I tried during daylight hours a couple times after and never seemed to be able to get them as well.  Any tricks???

Offline Abouch77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:31 PM »
Weneric thanks for the support buddy. No worries, I'm over it, like I said I thouroughly enjoy coming to this site every time I do.  We gotta get out together. Lets talk.

Offline Snotts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Would also like to add no limits while fishing Mass lakes, night fishing at Onota or littleville is a lot of fun reminds me of the old days at westhill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.