Author Topic: Safety Gear - what do you carry?  (Read 5362 times)

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Safety Gear - what do you carry?
« on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:10 AM »
I know there are lots of search data on this, but thought maybe a new discussion on what safety gear people carry with them may help someone out as we head into derby weekend on a year with less than favorable seasonal conditions.

Personally, I carry:

Spud - always
50 ft of rope (true para-cord is light and strong)
Ice-picks - especially when fishing alone
Boat Cushion (old square throw-able flotation device) that doubles as a kneeling pad

I also recently spent the money on the Striker-ice flotation suit since I often fish alone.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Safety Gear - what do you carry?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:14 AM »
I know there are lots of search data on this, but thought maybe a new discussion on what safety gear people carry with them may help someone out as we head into derby weekend on a year with less than favorable seasonal conditions.

Personally, I carry:

Spud - always
50 ft of rope (true para-cord is light and strong)
Ice-picks - especially when fishing alone
Boat Cushion (old square throw-able flotation device) that doubles as a kneeling pad

I also recently spent the money on the Striker-ice flotation suit since I often fish alone.

I have pretty much the same with me. I'm not sure about the striker suit working for you & me.  ???  We better grow beards.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:22 AM »
Same besides the throw bag but may start I wear the picks around my neck always
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:49 AM »
Float suit. Spud. Ice picks. Just bought a new pair as i read this thread. 
Salmonemia

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:54 AM »
Spud
Flotation Suit
ice picks
Cell Phone
Throw/Rescue Bag
First Aid Kit/Emergency Blanket
Fire Starter Kit
Multi-tool/misc.(Ductape, nuts, bolts...)
TP

When I'm with the snowmobile...
Power Bank
Spare Drive Belt
Spare Spark Plugs
Shovel
Tow Kit
Tools/misc.(ductape, wire...)

And a change of clothes is always in the truck.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2020, 06:55 AM »
50’ of rope with a carabiner attached (real one) , ice picks...early ice a spud bar, first aid kit

Looking into a beard   

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:00 AM »

And a change of clothes is always in the truck.

X2 about the change of clothes... if I ever do take a swim I want to drive home dry and warm.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I have pretty much the same with me. I'm not sure about the striker suit working for you & me.  ???  We better grow beards.

I was optimistic that more material meant more flotation - but I guess its time to quit shaving...

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:19 AM »
I carry spud,rope,picks and a whistle.have a float suit.i bring my rescue gear mostly for other guys that dont spud out and think ice is safe.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:23 AM »
Just a spud and a beard for me on the ice... There's a change of cloths in the truck and a first aid kit in the shack. I used to carry pics but a few years ago I tried using them, not fallen through just laying on the ice and was shocked to find I couldn't drag myself with them, all they did was chip pieces from the ice and did not dig in enough to pull myself. My buddy seen this and tried himself, he failed as well. With that said, I'm curious how many have tried to drag themselves or even tried to bury a pic in the ice to see if it would hold?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:29 AM »
I have tried just messing around and really needing them lol always work flawless

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:29 AM »
My 7" Beard......And scissors
.....ok, in all seriousness just the basics I guess. Spud, Picks, rope
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:29 AM »
In addition to the above mentioned items I also carry a Personal Locator Beacon attaché to my Jacket. I fish along quite a bit and it is good security. This is a good thread that discusses the ACR and a Garmin product.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=375068.msg4056166#msg4056166

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:33 AM »
I've got a pretty short beard but a serious jungle downunda, does that count?

I always, always, always carry my ice picks now, after they saved my life last year. And I pretty much always have the spud in my hand when I'm mobile.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:36 AM »
I've got a pretty short beard but a serious jungle downunda, does that count?

I always, always, always carry my ice picks now, after they saved my life last year. And I pretty much always have the spud in my hand when I'm mobile.

Thanks for the visual. How deep was it where you feel in? Were you alone? I was up to my arm pits when I feel in once.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:38 AM »
I have tried just messing around and really needing them lol always work flawless

Right on, I'm curious what kind you have? Mine are a set my uncle made, basically framing nails in dowels, Chris's were some HTs or other walmart specials...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:40 AM »
I just have that typical orange handle ones from HT

I’ve needed them Bow fishing and smelt fishing. They work, because here I am  ;D

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Thanks for the visual. How deep was it where you feel in? Were you alone? I was up to my arm pits when I feel in once.

Way over my head. 250 feet or more from the boat launch. Probably in 20 feet of water. I was with my nearly handicapped (severe rheumatoid arthritis) friend Cindy, but she was back at the launch and out of sight. Bad situation but I got out pretty quick. I followed the rules of what you are supposed to do and waited 20 seconds for the cold shock to pass, but let me tell you, when my Muck boots slowly started to fill up with cold water... I didn't like that.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I just have that typical orange handle ones from HT

I’ve needed them Bow fishing and smelt fishing. They work, because here I am  ;D

Those are what I have too.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:44 AM »
Maybe Rando can tell you all of the time I pulled him out while his “friend” high tailed it to the truck!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:49 AM »
Those were what Chris had and same problem as me, they just chipped out big pieces. Maybe testing on solid clear ice is what did it? Sketchy ice might be soft enough to just sink in and hold? I've only been in over my head once. I held the edge of the hole, pushed myself under as far as my arms could reach without letting the edge go then swam hard up and pulled with my hands and popped up onto my belly and rolled away from the hole.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Maybe Rando can tell you all of the time I pulled him out while his “friend” high tailed it to the truck!

Was there a bleeding and battered body beside the truck when you guys left?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2020, 07:54 AM »
If it was mine that’d be the case. Randy’s a gentleman though

Although looking back he wouldn’t of been able to move anyhow lollll his pants and all were froze solid by the time we got him to the truck couldn’t even bend the knees it was a waddle back

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:00 AM »
Often omitted----a proper throw rope. Don't skimp on safety by carrying a DIY )"Red Green") version!

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I carry a 75 foot ski rope. It already has a handle and I've added clips on both ends so the rope can be wrapped around either person.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:30 AM »
These are the ones I have

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:36 AM »
Yup, those are the ones Chris had... Mine/Unc's are in my coat pocket but thats usually in the truck. I'll bring em out tomorrow morning and try again on the crappy ice.
What made me test them years ago was when Kieth (our old moderator) cant remember his user name. posted that he had similar experience as me when he legit needed them.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:39 AM »
No ones has yet to mention this but on the large lakes a compass!!! I have been stranded in white out conditions and even with Navionics on my phone the battery died in the cold. So if I had a physical old school compass attached to my jacket I would have been good. Ending up getting off anywhere I could find land not wanting to venture any further with the chance of finding open water or rivers.. could not see feet in front of me to even tell if I’m going in a straight direction. This was the Sunday 2 or 3 years ago for the derby when a snowstorm rolled in.  Bring a compass and know which way you came from!
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Yep, NH Trout Fisherman

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2020, 08:41 AM »
My Striker Suit and this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.