Author Topic: Getting ready for the season  (Read 12084 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting ready for the season
« Reply #30 on: Nov 01, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Thanks Digs. Sad, but that's the way of it. I never had much trouble catching bait around here. Last year, I got permission to trap a spot that had very easy access and more bait than I've ever seen before. This time of year, 3 or 4 traps would produce all my 70 gallon tank would hold and all I'd need for a season.  Those tip ups sound very special, Joe. 1500' of line, that's probably enough so even I couldn't get spooled by the time I got to them.  ;D
 "Snow leopard special"? Is that the name of the traps you described or does it have a special meaning?
I have a couple friends who were marines in Nam. They were a special breed.
Hope your striper season was a good one.
Those guys were special, as far as the snow Leopard designation,  I've adopted the snow Leopard as my spirit animal,when I got the Can Am, it is the Northern addition,  made for cold weather riding, I  called it the snow Leopard,  since my tip ups are designed for my comfort,and the way I think they should work, I named them to fit a theme.
As far as having that much line,the size of the spool plays into the ease of the spool turning,a 4"dia spool moves a lot easier than a 3 or a 2, I get far less dropped baits than the average tip up. The weight of all that line, also contributes to the ease of which the tip up triggers and spool keeps moving,  think of a fly wheel,, all tip ups are not created equal..
I had a very good striper season, we had alot of big fish early,june, July and August were just like the "old days " I didn't get a 50, but I got alot of 30lb class fish and a half dozen well into the 40's, unfortunately,  the hot fishing was over by mid September,  I pulled the boat to change the steering swivel tube bushings and motor mounts
Had a good year buggin too.167 bugs, 97 were keepers.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 01, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Good to see life around the shanty again.. Didn't get in a lot of open water fishing this year, but I did make a ton of progress on Pop's truck. 250 hours later and she's full modern rig under classic sheet metal and ready to tow the Nitro reliably next season with a 412" LSX and 4L80e overdrive under hood, fully upgraded suspension, 4 wheel discs and lots of other goodies that weren't even a thought in 1979. She went on the dyno last week and put a healthy 486 hp and 465 foot pounds to the rollers and an added bonus was getting 15 mpg on the way home, last time she was on the road 5 or 6 mpg was the norm. Definitely good to have the old girl back on the road and some free time for fishing again...
Probably get the bayrunner out of storage this weekend and make sure everything is ready, the wheeler is a year round thing so its always up to play and the sled got serviced in the spring so a good wash job is all that should need.

CD, sorry to hear that ice travel is getting difficult but I hope you'll stick around the shanty to keep laying down the wealth of fishing knowledge you've gained over the years.

Roccus, the recipient of some of your custom traps is in for a real treat, hopefully we'll get some pics of the finished product...

I don't see any posts from Frank yet... Did he already get banned before the season even started?? LOL
Here's to good luck and a safe season for everyone, really looking forward to it this year.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 01, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Good to see life around the shanty again.. Didn't get in a lot of open water fishing this year, but I did make a ton of progress on Pop's truck. 250 hours later and she's full modern rig under classic sheet metal and ready to tow the Nitro reliably next season with a 412" LSX and 4L80e overdrive under hood, fully upgraded suspension, 4 wheel discs and lots of other goodies that weren't even a thought in 1979. She went on the dyno last week and put a healthy 486 hp and 465 foot pounds to the rollers and an added bonus was getting 15 mpg on the way home, last time she was on the road 5 or 6 mpg was the norm. Definitely good to have the old girl back on the road and some free time for fishing again...
Probably get the bayrunner out of storage this weekend and make sure everything is ready, the wheeler is a year round thing so its always up to play and the sled got serviced in the spring so a good wash job is all that should need.

CD, sorry to hear that ice travel is getting difficult but I hope you'll stick around the shanty to keep laying down the wealth of fishing knowledge you've gained over the years.

Roccus, the recipient of some of your custom traps is in for a real treat, hopefully we'll get some pics of the finished product...

I don't see any posts from Frank yet... Did he already get banned before the season even started?? LOL
Here's to good luck and a safe season for everyone, really looking forward to it this year.

Sounds like you been busy,  nice build..

We all need to get together and get CD onto the ice once we can use motorized transportation. .we need to take care of our own here.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 01, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Sounds like you been busy,  nice build..

We all need to get together and get CD onto the ice once we can use motorized transportation. .we need to take care of our own here.

I like the way you think... I know we've got a few members with some pretty nice easy to get in and out of side by sides for ice travel...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 01, 2019, 03:41 PM »
Yes Joe, I totally understand all the reasoning and benefits of your quality and well thought out tip ups. Any good angler would be lucky to own some. I know quality and meticulous workmanship and sportsmanship is the way you role. Myself and I'm sure many other appreciate it!
Glad to hear you did well with the stripers. The "Princess Warrior" probably doesn't owe you a dime, but your constant maintenance and revisions should keep her going for years to come.
Congrats on bringing your father's truck back to mint Stealth. Sounds like she's better than ever! There's a lot of satisfaction to using a machine that has such fond meaning and memories. I owned a 76 and 78 back in the day.
PG has already offered me a ride in his side by side a couple times for this season. Hoping to get out with the "three stooges" for our annual trip. We'll see?
I haven't talked to AA recently. Often times, he'll wait till his tags are filled before he graces the shanty with his presence.  ;D
I'm sure he's in the woods though.  ;)   

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 01, 2019, 04:52 PM »
PG has already offered me a ride in his side by side a couple times for this season. Hoping to get out with the "three stooges" for our annual trip. We'll see?

CD did my last softwater last week. Get your gear ready we will definitely be doing our annual trip don't forget the 4th stooge "Cal".

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2019, 08:41 PM »
CD did my last softwater last week. Get your gear ready we will definitely be doing our annual trip don't forget the 4th stooge "Cal".

Hi Denny, I'll have my gear ready, just in case...
Cal recently bought an iceboat. Not sure if he's going to put a side car on it for his gear or not?
Hope you found some trout and got all your wood in?

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 02, 2019, 09:43 AM »
Hi guys, looks like a lot of familiar folks are looking forward to ice season.  I am working on doing repairs to door on my shanty.  Last year it took a beating on day 1 of the derby.  I am sure you all remembered the wind!  It beat it up pretty bad.  So I am building a new door. 

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 02, 2019, 10:00 AM »

Gorgeous truck. I'm sure Frank is chasing tail through the woods these days. Any minute now we'll get a pic of something amazing he's dropped!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2019, 03:24 PM »
Check out the hunting forum - he already on a roll!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Check out the hunting forum - he already on a roll!
I expect no less from him..

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #41 on: Nov 03, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Stealth those late 70’s early 80’s Chevy and GMCs are classic trucks ....miss those old body styles...sounds like it was a great summer project !

CD I have no doubts that we’ll be cruising around doing some fishing...it would be fun to get a small group together I’d be up for that....
Rifle season starts up next weekend in Maine for me.... it was 28 this morning and lake the was in a blanket of fog...good site to see and good to see the forum ramping back up

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 04, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Stealth those late 70’s early 80’s Chevy and GMCs are classic trucks ....miss those old body styles...sounds like it was a great summer project !

CD I have no doubts that we’ll be cruising around doing some fishing...it would be fun to get a small group together I’d be up for that....
Rifle season starts up next weekend in Maine for me.... it was 28 this morning and lake the was in a blanket of fog...good site to see and good to see the forum ramping back up
Thanks much, PG!
Good luck with Maine Bambi.  ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2019, 08:21 AM »

Sneak peek,  still lots of work to do, to seal, primer and finish,the tip ups with the American flag, have all parts manufactured by me ( excluding flag and spool)..I've been taking camera pictures of every step, and will post a tutorial at project completion
I put measured shots on the 1500' spools, in all actuality,  they only comfortably hold 700' of 36lb waxed line..I've been using these spools a few years, but this is the first time I've measured the line and also used a line the same diameter through out
I did a cost analysis on my build, including quality stainless  aluminum and ash lumber marine sealet, primer and 2 part polyurethane paint, each tip up costs me $34.80 each and takes about 3 hours each to build ..start to finish. .nice project, but not cheap..

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #44 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:04 AM »
THE SHANTY IS ALIVE!

It is very nice to see all of the familiar names on here once again! I myself have been in the woods working to fill the freezer and so far its been a great bird and deer season.

Joe - Glad you had a great bass and bug season and nice to know you put some meat in the freezer! Keep at it! Hopefully we can connect this season and I will bring up some grub and gifts!

Wayne - If it all works out maybe we can get some jigging done this year, I will drive up north. I know you were all about it last year. 

CD & AA - Nice to see you guys around as well!

Frank - he is definitely the most passionate deer hunter I know. I have been chatting with him all season and just as expected, a great dude!

Digs - are you still chasing those trout?

2019/2020 season is about to start and I am looking forward to it! This year, my little guy will joining me on select adventures! I will be poking around here more often now! These cooler temps are a fresh breath of bugless air!
Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:37 AM »
THE SHANTY IS ALIVE!

It is very nice to see all of the familiar names on here once again! I myself have been in the woods working to fill the freezer and so far its been a great bird and deer season.
Should have had a 9 pointer as well, I missed one  tiny branch in my shooting lane, and it was enough to deflect the arrow low and in the dirt. .. he has  not returned since.. he's probably in Rhode Island now. ;D. just does and a skipper as well as coyotes on the camera.

Joe - Glad you had a great bass and bug season and nice to know you put some meat in the freezer! Keep at it! Hopefully we can connect this season and I will bring up some grub and gifts!

Wayne - If it all works out maybe we can get some jigging done this year, I will drive up north. I know you were all about it last year. 

Frank - he is definitely the most passionate deer hunter I know. I have been chatting with him all season and just as expected, a great dude!

2019/2020 season is about to start and I am looking forward to it! This year, my little guy will joining me on select adventures! I will be poking around here more often now! These cooler temps are a fresh breath of bugless air!

Offline Oz 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Just the little things so far: I have not turned the heat on at my house,,,, and I eat nothing but chili and grilled meats to prepare.  I keep a jigging pole next to the toilet in the house so I can practice my jiggin technique and not waste that time.  I screwed hex nuts into the soles of all my shoes just in case.  ;)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:25 AM »
THE SHANTY IS ALIVE!

My last time out was the day before Halloween. Hung up the spin and fly stuff. My ice gear is ready. I'm building a third hardside shack with a buddy and waiting for ice. I've also been trying some bucktails

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:32 AM »
My last time out was the day before Halloween. Hung up the spin and fly stuff. My ice gear is ready. I'm building a third hardside shack with a buddy and waiting for ice. I've also been trying some bucktails

Pretty fish!...

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #49 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Beautiful fish Digs!

Joe, that is unfortunate about the 9 pointer but at least you still have some meat in there.

I took this guy down on Saturday opening day. This will keep the family fed until next season but 1 more would be great.

Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:06 AM »
Beautiful fish Digs!

Joe, that is unfortunate about the 9 pointer but at least you still have some meat in there.

I took this guy down on Saturday opening day. This will keep the family fed until next season but 1 more would be great.

nice.. big neck on that one Mike...yea. it happens, if that was a slug or even a muzzle loader  it would have been all over but the dragging and tagging, this one was unique because  it had funky turned down brow tines, 117 lb doe is plenty big enough for  my needs...hell be even bigger next year..

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #51 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:09 AM »
Thank you Joe. He weighed out 145 dressed. I still have the hind quarters hanging in the fridge but I finished processing and packing everything else as of last night. If I can get one more, I will make some venison smoked kielbasa as well.
Just add water.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Nice deer Sharps!! weatherman says cold weather till at least middle of December hopefully another long ice season. Still hunting for some vittles for ice season but we still have alot of time left. Tight lines and shoot straight fellas. 
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Nov 06, 2019, 11:54 AM »

Sneak peek,  still lots of work to do, to seal, primer and finish,the tip ups with the American flag, have all parts manufactured by me ( excluding flag and spool)..I've been taking camera pictures of every step, and will post a tutorial at project completion
I put measured shots on the 1500' spools, in all actuality,  they only comfortably hold 700' of 36lb waxed line..I've been using these spools a few years, but this is the first time I've measured the line and also used a line the same diameter through out
I did a cost analysis on my build, including quality stainless  aluminum and ash lumber marine sealet, primer and 2 part polyurethane paint, each tip up costs me $34.80 each and takes about 3 hours each to build ..start to finish. .nice project, but not cheap..

Those traps look great well done!!
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 06, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Those traps look great well done!!

They have a ways to go yet, I'm planning on making a few slammer rigs too, just one more arrow in the quiver

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 12, 2019, 05:50 PM »
I resisted pulling out my ice sled the other day because I know how excited I will be in a few weeks when we get close - I didn't want to waste that excitement in early November!  I have been doing some map research on places that I want to check out this year (Fourth Lake, Chamount, Black Lake) and on species I want to try to target (walleye!).

18° and dropping fast in WNY.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 01, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Hey, Wayne.
The higher filet tables are a huge plus for the back!
The one you linked to looks like it may have stability issues?
Get a hold of me if you want, I have one that's home made, rugged and looking for a new home.
Richard. Good to see you today.  I will make good use of the filet table top you donated to me. Thanks for attaching the PT backers for the mounts.  I will post a picture once its all set up.  Looking forward to putting it to use real soon. Saw lots of skim coat ice today on various smaller water bodies.  Won't be long now.
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:07 PM »
Richard. Good to see you today.  I will make good use of the filet table top you donated to me. Thanks for attaching the PT backers for the mounts.  I will post a picture once its all set up.  Looking forward to putting it to use real soon. Saw lots of skim coat ice today on various smaller water bodies.  Won't be long now.
Good seeing you again also, Wayne. Been too long.
When you put those long legs under it, it will go good with your electric knife.... and save your back.  ;D
When this snow drowns the skim ice, hopefully you'll get some cold snow-less days to make a good base layer.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2019, 07:15 PM »
When you put those long legs under it, it will go good with your electric knife.... and save your back.  ;D

We must save the Back! ;D
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2019, 05:38 AM »
We must save the Back! ;D
LMAO! Best to start early or we'll pay later....  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.