Author Topic: Ice ahoy not much longer boys  (Read 725 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice ahoy not much longer boys
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:03 AM »
Seen a few large ponds with ice n small lakes with a cap creeping across the water this morning on my way to work. Definitely getting shanty fever here boys was getting worried.   Was about to plan a trip to Wisconsin or Minnesota lol

Offline Daybreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice ahoy not much longer boys
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 09:15 AM »
I've always predicted Dec. 12th as the date for safe ice along the northern border of Indiana somewhere.  Often we have some guys on channels or protected bays by then, but each years is always a little different.  Our subdivision pond completely locked up last night. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:55 AM »
Big warmup and rain this weekend, then cold coming

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:45 AM »
I'm hoping for safe ice by Christmas. I'm off for two weeks. Most years we don't see ice til around new year or shortly after. We'll need atleast a week of single digits night and below freezing highs for it all to begin on anything other than channels and very small bodies of water.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Has anybody been watching the jet stream on the west coast up to specifically Alaska? I know when warm air goes up the west coast it allows bubbles of polar air to drop down on the midwest and northeast. I haven't been able to find anything really good to show it.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Seen a few large ponds with ice n small lakes with a cap creeping across the water this morning on my way to work. Definitely getting shanty fever here boys was getting worried.   Was about to plan a trip to Wisconsin or Minnesota lol
You were getting worried? Still only November buddy. Starting Monday or Tuesday night it's supposed to start really getting cold. I would love to be on in a week and a half or 2 weeks on my first ice location
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.