Author Topic: pan fish batters  (Read 3336 times)

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
pan fish batters
« on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:22 PM »
was wondering what people use or put in there fish batter i use just egg and flour little lawrys cajon and lemon pepper & pepper not bad for taste just dont have what im looking for also ive done walleye with egg flour potato buds and korn flaked lawrys and pepper just interested in some other batters and idieas
always looking for a fishing buddy so lets go fishing

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: pan fish batters
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:25 PM »
I dip mine in egg, then fine crushed saltine crackers, or Ritz or whatever your choice is, then season with Lawrys after they come out of the fryer, or whatever seasoning concocktion you prefer.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:26 PM »
Did you finally catch enough for a meal ;D

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:29 PM »
Did you finally catch enough for a meal ;D

had some in storage going to vegas so i figured misel eat some fish sammies. the saltines or ritz sounds awsome so i should be seasoning after the fry or it dont matter

Offline fishin machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2011, 06:52 PM »
www.louisianafishfry.c om

Without a doubt the best I have found.
If your gonna be dumb, You gotta be tough.

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:30 PM »
ill have to give these a try well c what happens thanks still open to other recipies

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:32 PM »
Drakes onion ring batter is very good.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I soak the meat in beer for maybe 5 minutes and then dip them into Drakes fish batter mixed with Magic Seasoning Seafood Magic blend then back into the beer, and batter again. Seems to really crunchy up the batter the second time around.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:50 PM »
beer hugh well im not a beer drinker but maybee some medical marihuana fish batter lmao no i dont drink just medicate but the drakes seems to be going somewhere

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:57 PM »
beer hugh well im not a beer drinker but maybee some medical marihuana fish batter lmao no i dont drink just medicate but the drakes seems to be going somewhere

Burn one off before you eat and I don't think it will matter what your batter is made of!  :roflmao:

Offline westlakeangler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • here fishy fishy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:59 PM »
very tru  thats funny maybee this is why everybody gets the munchies on the ice =)

Offline IM-GONNA-MISS-HER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:11 PM »
I use golden dip from gordens and add mrs dash. Taste great

Offline wetfeet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:43 PM »
Shore lunch original you will never look back!!!!!

Offline ThreeBears

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:29 AM »
I use Andy's batter, both their regular and the Cajun.  The Cajun is not for the faint of heart.  But both of them are good.  Sometimes I cut the Cajun with their plain to cool it down a bit.  I do not do any sort of prep for the filets beyond rinsing them in lemon and then water.  From there I toss them in the batter to cover them completely and in the fryer they go.  I get the Andy's batter at my local Walmarts.  Enjoy

Offline yard cop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:35 AM »
Golden Dip from Gordon foods, mix one half cup of flour to one can of beer. Dip fish in beer flour mix, them coat with the breading. A light breading so you can enjoy the flavor of the fish.

Offline Eyecatcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:14 AM »
Finely ground Saltines with lemon pepper or Panko Bread Crumbs and Lemon Pepper.  The Panko really stays crunchy even on reheated fish. 

Offline stumpjumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2011, 07:44 AM »
 I hope you guys are using all of these concoctions on those mushy crappies you caught...:P

Sounds like you're all trying to disguise the taste of something.

Offline allcaughtup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Drakes...no egg...just little water...garlic salt...lemmon pepper seasoning...The Classic
or CHezzy Bluegills....crush up Cheeze Itz...to a fine powder...dip fish in egg and whamo...Cheezy Bluegils... @)

Offline salmondan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:05 AM »
For panfish I use Louisiana brand, then give them a dash of Frank's red hot while eating.

Here's my secret (I know, not any more) recipe for Walleye.  Little complicated, but everybody I have made it for loves it.  I am hoping that if I share it, someone will give me some good tips on where to find walleye in the Kalamazoo and Van Buren areas, I can't seem to catch one around here.  I created this recipe while living up north.

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in microwave then add a couple eggs and mix together.  Let it sit (about 5 minutes) till it gets thick and slightly lumpy.  If you have a pampered chef chopper or something similar it really helps for the next part.  Crush up one sleeve of club crackers.  Take a large handfull of cashews probably around a cup worth, and crush them till they are about the size of sand crystals.  The chopper works great for both of these steps.  Mix crackers and cashews with lemon pepper and lawry's season salt, about a tablespoon of each (I don't measure my ingredients, these are approximate estimates).  Put mix onto large place.  Dip walleye into egg and butter mix, then place on the powder mix.  Cover exposed side of fish (I do skinless fillets) with powder mix, and press mixture into fish with your fingers to make it stick to fish better, flip fish over and press other side also.  Pan fry in olive oil till flaky, and it's done.  I'm pretty sure you will love it unless you don't like cashews, which would be weird in my opinion! 

If you leave the skin on the fish, I suppose you could sprinkle the mix on the bare side and press it to the meat and achieve great results, but I have not tried this.

Be careful turning the fish over as you can break the coating off easily.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:23 PM »
I pat my fillets off with a paper tower then one roll in lightly seasoned mix and fry,  I love the taste of fish not batter.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:20 PM »
I worked in a restaurant way back when that used this on perch.

seasoned flour (salt pepper)
egg wash (eggs and little milk)
crushed saltines

deep fry in peanut oil or pan fry in butter

also you can prebread these and freeze on a sheet pan with clear wrap beteen layers. Then seperate and package in zip locks and you can fry a few when you want.

nothing else needed except tartar sauce and hungry mouths. Very simple and no special ingredients. A nice jumbo will make a couple of awesome perch sandwiches too!!

A buddy of mine did some gills by soaking them in Louisiana Hot sauce and then dredged them in flour - fried in peanut oil - yummy!! Get out the cold beers!!

Offline Fish On69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I love my panfish fried with bread crumbs, garlic powder, few drops of lemon, and cajun spice.

Really good with a slight southern kick.

Dave

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I make a light batter out of golden dipt "fish n chips batter" (add water till thinner than egg wash, not quite as thick as melted ice cream) i prefer this wet batter over an egg wash. because i find with the egg, the fillets fry up a little mushy and not quite as firm as i like. dredge dry fillets in batter. then in panko bread crumbs. fresh out of the oil, dust with a little of your favorite seasoning mix. Ooohh Weee!!

Offline ICEano

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • work to live, live to fish
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:39 PM »
i mix flour and corn meal 50/50 then add some garlic powder and black pepper, dip fillets in egg then coat and deep fry.......everyone including my kids love them :)

Offline flyfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2011, 02:51 PM »
Flower then egg then Italian bread crumbs.

Offline Bob1958

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:11 AM »
Based on several tips here and there, I took a bunch of perch fillets and did a milk dip, seasoned flour, eggwash, Panko, then 375 degrees using Canola.  Got a very crispy result that everyone loved.  I'll try this next with some thick Pike fillets to see if I can improve how to prepare that kind of fish. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.