The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Old time tricks and tips (BS thread to share tips or just superstitions)  (Read 5451 times)

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
With all the crappy weather I thought let’s start something more positive and interesting that we can have some fun with.

So, share if you care to your “old school” tips tricks for ice fishing. No need to add swearing at them, cause that too obvious. 😀

For starters
1. Jig in reverse - start high and drop, stop to the bottom
2. After a catch rub the jig on the fish to slime it up a little to hide any human scent from your fingers.

I don’t know if they make any difference but I still do it so maybe superstition.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
The only superstition i have is i dont refuel my truck or boat the day before or day of a fishing trip.im almost positive gas and oil keep fish from biting.i wont even run my snowblower the day before a fishing trip.lol and if i need gas i will have my wife refuel the truck.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
When crappie fishing, I religiously use scents.  I reapply after every fish otherwise I'm positive I won't get another bite...

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gasoline's scent messing up a bite is true. I try to avoid getting gas too and leave the power auger at home cause I always get gas on me.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Before I had a flasher I'd always let my jig drop to the bottom, count the cranks it took to raise the jig to the top of the hole to figure out how deep the water is then start jigging in the bottom fourth of the water's depth.  When we caught our first keeper perch we'd put their eyes on our jigs which always seemed to turn on the perch bite. 

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
x2 on the Crappie scents. I keep a small plastic bottle (with a screw on lid) of attractant in my pocket. This is standard for many but when I do use tip ups I put a tiny bobber just under the device. I prefer to drill my own holes even when open ones are available so I guess that is superstition.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Here’s a trick that’s worked well for me for replacing tip up flags quickly, cheaply and fairly permanently - even while on the ice.
I carry a small roll of bright red or bright orange duct tape in my gear box. If the flag on one of my tip ups falls off (as they all seem to do at some point), just tear off a piece of the tape about 2x the size of the flag.  Position the tape with the tip up rod centered and fold it over itself sandwiching the rod inside. Voila! Instant replacement flag ready to go in about 3 seconds for about a nickel. Best yet, you can find this stuff in a pharmacy or dollar store, cut it to any size you need and it will work with pretty much any style of tipup.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a gas auger just bring along some baby wipes an anti bacterial gel and your hands will smell like a baby’s bottom it works for me rubber glove do too the jiffy’s cheaper to run in the long run never needs batteries. A/P  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
Here’s a trick that’s worked well for me for replacing tip up flags quickly, cheaply and fairly permanently - even while on the ice.
I carry a small roll of bright red or bright orange duct tape in my gear box. If the flag on one of my tip ups falls off (as they all seem to do at some point), just tear off a piece of the tape about 2x the size of the flag.  Position the tape with the tip up rod centered and fold it over itself sandwiching the rod inside. Voila! Instant replacement flag ready to go in about 3 seconds for about a nickel. Best yet, you can find this stuff in a pharmacy or dollar store, cut it to any size you need and it will work with pretty much any style of tipup.

That's a good tip!  I've heard black flags are more visible than orange chartreuse etc. because of the snow/white background.  Anyone ever try that?

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jaeger - I’ve never tried black flags but I could see where they would be good against snow. I’ve never had a problem seeing red or orange so that’s what I use. Also, there are many times I’m fishing without snow cover so I’d think black would be tougher to see without snow.

In recent years, I’ve also added bells to my tipups so they make noise when they trip. I buy small Christmas jingle bells from a craft store: https://www.joann.com/fab-lab-craft-72-pk-0.38-jingle-bells-silver/15531163.html#start=1

Then attach them to a paper binder clip. The clips are available in pharmacies or office supply stores: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/808857/OIC-Binder-Clips-Small-34-Black/fromLocalBrowse=false

You can remove the metal wire from the clip, thread a couple of bells onto the wire, and then reinsert the wire back onto the clip or you can thread the bells through a piece of mono and tie to the wire on the clip. Two or three bells are plenty. Once you’ve attached the bells to the clips, just clip them onto the flag of your tipup. When it trips, you’ll hear the bells even if you don’t see the flag go.

When finished, just Unclip the clip and attach it to a piece of cardboard or something similar to store for the next trip.

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
That's a good tip!  I've heard black flags are more visible than orange chartreuse etc. because of the snow/white background.  Anyone ever try that?

Black flags are the worst color there is. If there is any shoreline in the background the black flags blend with it and are invisible.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
I can see black flags better than any other color for some reason and every tip up i own has them.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I replace all my tipup flags with black flags. Much better. I can see them better at any distance.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Jaeger - I’ve never tried black flags but I could see where they would be good against snow. I’ve never had a problem seeing red or orange so that’s what I use. Also, there are many times I’m fishing without snow cover so I’d think black would be tougher to see without snow.

In recent years, I’ve also added bells to my tipups so they make noise when they trip. I buy small Christmas jingle bells from a craft store: https://www.joann.com/fab-lab-craft-72-pk-0.38-jingle-bells-silver/15531163.html#start=1

Then attach them to a paper binder clip. The clips are available in pharmacies or office supply stores: https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/808857/OIC-Binder-Clips-Small-34-Black/fromLocalBrowse=false

You can remove the metal wire from the clip, thread a couple of bells onto the wire, and then reinsert the wire back onto the clip or you can thread the bells through a piece of mono and tie to the wire on the clip. Two or three bells are plenty. Once you’ve attached the bells to the clips, just clip them onto the flag of your tipup. When it trips, you’ll hear the bells even if you don’t see the flag go.

When finished, just Unclip the clip and attach it to a piece of cardboard or something similar to store for the next trip.

That's a great idea, I'm going to do it.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Put sand or a roll of toilet paper in a metal can, pour in isopropyl alcohol, light it up, burns clean and is cheaper heat than propane and a lot more btu than sterno. I use a quart paint can and take just enough off a roll of toilet paper so it fits in.  Put the lid on it to extinguish and seal for next use. I've never kept track of how fast it burns but I usually burn it for 6-8 hours and it never goes out, I top it off before I use it each day and  go thru a quart of fuel (1.49) every 3-4 days of fishing,  the roll of tp lasts indefinitely, the can will rust through first.

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Might be too hot for that? probably 3 times the heat of a sterno can. I use to light a sterno and put it in bottom of bucket, I don't think  you can do that with this, probably melt the bucket. The flame burns clear and is higher than you think. the occasional yellow in the flame is the paper burning a bit.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Be sure to save some of that toilet paper for its intended purpose and be careful you don’t set your arse on fire.

A few fishing related.
Replacement flags - buy a cheap disposable orange work vest and cut it make replacement flags
Depth marker- Add a small shirt button to your tip up line to mark your depth.  Run the line through one hole of the button and out the one opposite. It will slide when you want it to but will stay in place. This isn’t a good idea for weedy lakes as the button will catch in the weeds when a fish runs off. Set some of your traps up with and some without the button so you have what you need for the type of lake.
Old depth finder - twine and a lead weight with a mark every 5 feet. Used to use this before electronics. Read a depth map then prospect with the line to find the general area I wanted to be in. (Amazing how gps and electronics changed things).

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have done the button thing for years but if you get a knot in your line  you can't slide the button past the knot most times. Also if when you wrap it up and then your line freezes it can be a pain in the butt to get it out if it happens to somehow get below the button rather than on top of it. I've used bobbers, and split shots but found tooth picks work great. Make a loop in your line and then each end thru that  loop to form another loop, put toothpick in that loop and pull snug. End of day pull toothpick out and wrap it up., end up with no knots in the line.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
Black duct tape flags for 5 years now.  Gorilla tape...….
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have done the button thing for years but if you get a knot in your line  you can't slide the button past the knot most times. Also if when you wrap it up and then your line freezes it can be a pain in the butt to get it out if it happens to somehow get below the button rather than on top of it. I've used bobbers, and split shots but found tooth picks work great. Make a loop in your line and then each end thru that  loop to form another loop, put toothpick in that loop and pull snug. End of day pull toothpick out and wrap it up., end up with no knots in the line.

I recently moved over to buttons as markers for my tipups.  I really haven't had any issues with them and can adjust them pretty quickly. I use oversized buttons so they slide easily.  Also, larger button holes allow knots to pass through.  If the line freezes near the button, I usually just dip it in the water for a few seconds and then it's good to go.  I never really liked the mini bobbers even though I know many people use them. I always was concerned that the bobber could create additional drag in the water when a fish was running and potentially cause the fish to drop the bait if they are in a finicky mood.

Before I used buttons, I used a rubber band to mark the line.  Just tie a gentle overhand knot with the rubber band to mark your spot on the line.  If you need to change depths, you can slide the rubber band pretty easily or just un-loop and retie.  The only downside to the rubber bands is that they tend to dry rot over time.  After a year or so, they dry out and break or when it's warm when they are in storage, they can leave a sticky residue on the line.  I still carry them as a backup but use the buttons in most cases.

• Team IceShanty Regular
I just slide the button down the line toward the hook when I’m done. This way you're not wrapping the line over the button and getting it botched up.

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
When fishing tip-ups I save any dead shiners I have for chum.  Cut it in half, smash it to release more scent and break the air bladder, drop a half down the hole.  On a clear day as it sinks you will see the small scales coming off and shining like pieces of glitter going down.  I think it makes both a site and scent attractant.  Doesn't always work, but I have had days with nothing happening where would I would get flags a few minutes after chumming with the dead shiners.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
When fishing tip-ups I save any dead shiners I have for chum.  Cut it in half, smash it to release more scent and break the air bladder, drop a half down the hole.  On a clear day as it sinks you will see the small scales coming off and shining like pieces of glitter going down.  I think it makes both a site and scent attractant.  Doesn't always work, but I have had days with nothing happening where would I would get flags a few minutes after chumming with the dead shiners.

I like it!  I'm usually jigging, but I drop the dead ones down the hole.  I've even seen fish come look at them on the depth finder.  I like to think that you're giving something back to the lake.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict

We also save them for spring pike, catfish, bowfin and striper fishing.  Works great!

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
I posted this in another thread for trout but thought it may be good to share here as well.  When you are jigging, bring your bait all the way up to the ice every few minutes somewhat quickly and then slowly drop it back down - even if you are using sonar and can see where the fish are on your screen. Many times when I do this, I get jarring strikes when I lower the bait. I think this works because fish that are further away from the bait suddenly see the movement of the bait - even from a relatively long distance away and then come over to investigate or feed.  It may even trigger a sort of reaction strike for neutral fish. I have had really good success with this technique for a long time and on many different species.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
An old friend of mine used old egg shells as a panfish attractant.

That and enough crushed shells thru the hole laying on the bottom lights things up for better sight fishing.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
The only superstition i have is i dont refuel my truck or boat the day before or day of a fishing trip.im almost positive gas and oil keep fish from biting.i wont even run my snowblower the day before a fishing trip.lol and if i need gas i will have my wife refuel the truck.
ha ha i used to think that then saw gas soaked run off going down my holes and flags poppin like pop corn so who knows
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
Each year I take some old egg cartons and make an attractor that I drop down the hole when it’s slow or just when I get there. Grab a small rock for each spot in the egg carton so the ice cube sinks. I mix in some fish attractant, maybe some ground up shiners and my trick is some rice crispies and then flash freeze as fast as possible so the crispies hold air. Over the course of a few hours the crispies float up from the bottom randomly attracting fish. If you don’t mind them on your flasher every once in a while you can use them in a jigging hole, if that bothers you toss them in your tip up holes for some extra attractant. Works like a charm.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Each year I take some old egg cartons and make an attractor that I drop down the hole when it’s slow or just when I get there. Grab a small rock for each spot in the egg carton so the ice cube sinks. I mix in some fish attractant, maybe some ground up shiners and my trick is some rice crispies and then flash freeze as fast as possible so the crispies hold air. Over the course of a few hours the crispies float up from the bottom randomly attracting fish. If you don’t mind them on your flasher every once in a while you can use them in a jigging hole, if that bothers you toss them in your tip up holes for some extra attractant. Works like a charm.

Hmmm... very clever!  Quick question - how do you flash freeze your rice crispies?  I know that can be done with certain industrial and commercial equipment but can it be done in a standard household freezer?

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hmmm... very clever!  Quick question - how do you flash freeze your rice crispies?  I know that can be done with certain industrial and commercial equipment but can it be done in a standard household freezer?

Sure can. Freeze the rice crispies first so they are cold and then add them to the carton mix last and put them right back in the freezer will work. Be sure to open and close the freezer quickly to keep the temp down. If you can mist them outside when it’s below freezing that works as well. Lay them in a cookie sheet, use a spray bottle and mist on some water and it will freeze to the outside of them. I usually try to mist both sides so I do it twice and then add them. This year hasn’t been cold enough for that though.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.