Author Topic: They're a Biting!!!  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
They're a Biting!!!
« on: Nov 12, 2019, 02:59 PM »
One of the local guys was out on Sunday on the closest fishable water to my house.
It's less than a mile to his spot from my front door.  :)

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: They're a Biting!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2019, 04:26 PM »
That panoptix is nuts! Too bad it's $2700!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
That panoptix is nuts! Too bad it's $2700!!!
I don’t think that’s livescope, looks like the one I have with panoptix ps22 which is about 1K less.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2019, 06:05 PM »
$1700?  damn near giving em away! 

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2019, 07:16 PM »
I wish it was more affordable.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:10 PM »
Dave, what kind of sonar is he using??
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:10 PM »
That was a great video! 8 degrees in Indiana right now woo hoo!!

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:32 PM »
You need a Smitty sled brother.....

Pulls like butter !

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:46 PM »
Dave, what kind of sonar is he using??

Some kind of Garmin live scope thingy.
I could buy 1/2 dozen Marcum's for the $$$$.  ;)

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:53 PM »
That was a PS 22 Panoptix transducer using the down Vu. What he should have showed in the video. Was how to use the forward Vu first to locate fish. Then the down mode for actual fishing. I didn't watch the whole video. I dislike the ones that teaches nothing. Internet full of videos guys catching fish. If no education what's the point.

Since livescope has hit the scene. A lot of used PS 22 and their units have become available. I put my PS 22 and 9 inch screen together for less than 1K. fabricated my own shuttle using a 5 gallon bucket. Still expensive I agree. But I have never found fish so fast and so sure using any other setup.

That is with over 50+ years on the ice. Never thought I would give up my Vex , a Humminbird 788CI with a quadrabeam + transducer proved me wrong. Then I put the panoptix on my 16 ' Lund. Shortly there after went to Garmin and Panoptix on my ice rig.

Remember a few decades back. When an automobile was broke down equestrians used to shout get a horse. Well same thing here except zero problems with the panoptix.
What the flashers do they do very well . But they are a one trick pony.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2019, 06:27 AM »
X2 on he needs a smitty sled.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline manning1987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2019, 12:44 PM »
I figured this might be a good thing to add to this thread. Looks like a couple of you guys in the discussion were in this one as well.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=362106.0

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:42 PM »
That was a PS 22 Panoptix transducer using the down Vu. What he should have showed in the video. Was how to use the forward Vu first to locate fish. Then the down mode for actual fishing. I didn't watch the whole video. I dislike the ones that teaches nothing. Internet full of videos guys catching fish. If no education what's the point.

Since livescope has hit the scene. A lot of used PS 22 and their units have become available. I put my PS 22 and 9 inch screen together for less than 1K. fabricated my own shuttle using a 5 gallon bucket. Still expensive I agree. But I have never found fish so fast and so sure using any other setup.

That is with over 50+ years on the ice. Never thought I would give up my Vex , a Humminbird 788CI with a quadrabeam + transducer proved me wrong. Then I put the panoptix on my 16 ' Lund. Shortly there after went to Garmin and Panoptix on my ice rig.

Remember a few decades back. When an automobile was broke down equestrians used to shout get a horse. Well same thing here except zero problems with the panoptix.
What the flashers do they do very well . But they are a one trick pony.

Too bad those transducers won't work with my Garmin Echomap Chirp 93sv or Echomap 73sv.  :'(

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:17 PM »
One of your units will work with the PS 22. The Echomap Chirp 93SV.  Lowest price for a used PS22 I have seen is 400 or so. Now that ice season is almost upon us might have to wait for warmer months.
G.E.F.M

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2019, 05:43 PM »
One of your units will work with the PS 22. The Echomap Chirp 93SV.  Lowest price for a used PS22 I have seen is 400 or so. Now that ice season is almost upon us might have to wait for warmer months.

If I could get one for $400 I'd buy it. :)
Really like the looks of the live scope deally though and would need newer sonar for it.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:30 PM »
Drifter- bass boat center .net Scroll down to see electronics . None listed there right now. But will show up eventually as more and more guys upgrade to Livescope.
Last year I got a chance to see Livescope vs PS 22. Friend of mine broke down and went with Live scope. By the way that site is a lot like this one. Free to join and great bunch of people.

Trust me this is no " sour grapes " opinion. I like the older tech the best. Granted the Livescope is all the rage now. The PS 22 is not going to show the pretty pictures. But what it does do is find fish. Quick and easy.

To me the purpose of going fishing is to catch fish. The PS 22 does a good enough job that I won't even contemplate upgrading to livescope. I like my set up better because the fish show up as  amplified blobs. The livescope display is more detailed to actual size.  So little harder for old eyes like mine. All I can say is anyone that fishes with me. Wants a panoptix after the trip. Livescope is a little fussier to set up but not too much. They were having some software problems but claim they are up to par now. The PS 22 and Echomap I turn on point and find. If it moves they are fish. Its that simple. Have never had one problem with older system.

G.E.F.M

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2019, 08:51 PM »
Drifter- bass boat center .net Scroll down to see electronics . None listed there right now. But will show up eventually as more and more guys upgrade to Livescope.
Last year I got a chance to see Livescope vs PS 22. Friend of mine broke down and went with Live scope. By the way that site is a lot like this one. Free to join and great bunch of people.

Trust me this is no " sour grapes " opinion. I like the older tech the best. Granted the Livescope is all the rage now. The PS 22 is not going to show the pretty pictures. But what it does do is find fish. Quick and easy.

To me the purpose of going fishing is to catch fish. The PS 22 does a good enough job that I won't even contemplate upgrading to livescope. I like my set up better because the fish show up as  amplified blobs. The livescope display is more detailed to actual size.  So little harder for old eyes like mine. All I can say is anyone that fishes with me. Wants a panoptix after the trip. Livescope is a little fussier to set up but not too much. They were having some software problems but claim they are up to par now. The PS 22 and Echomap I turn on point and find. If it moves they are fish. Its that simple. Have never had one problem with older system.

Got a link?
bassboatcenter.net doesn't work.
bassboatcentral.com does but no electronics link.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:12 AM »
http://www.bbcboards.net/

There you go. Free to sell and buy. Only requirement is to put your email addy in profile if you want to sell there. Sorry forgot everthing on link was abbreviated.
G.E.F.M

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14, 2019, 06:59 AM »
X2 on he needs a smitty sled.

I thought the same thing! 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Nov 14, 2019, 10:59 AM »
http://www.bbcboards.net/

There you go. Free to sell and buy. Only requirement is to put your email addy in profile if you want to sell there. Sorry forgot everthing on link was abbreviated.

Thanks EH!!! :)

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2019, 12:42 PM »
That new Garmin technology doesn't leave anything for the real fishermen.  No challenge anymore.  Might as while go to the fish market.   It is for the guy that can't catch fish through the ice or a Guide that needs to have his clients catch some fish.  Any guy that has done his homework on his lakes over the years and is an avid ice fishermen with fishing knowledge can catch fish with out spending thousands of $$.  When I go home with a bucket full of fish after fishing old school I feel good as to what I had accomplished.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:38 PM »
Old school my foot. If you are using a Vexilar that is not old school. Make your holes with an axe or chisel if you want to cheat a little. Then use hand line thats old school ;D ;D
G.E.F.M

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Man we all really need some fishable ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2019, 05:48 PM »
That new Garmin technology doesn't leave anything for the real fishermen.  No challenge anymore.  Might as while go to the fish market.   It is for the guy that can't catch fish through the ice or a Guide that needs to have his clients catch some fish.  Any guy that has done his homework on his lakes over the years and is an avid ice fishermen with fishing knowledge can catch fish with out spending thousands of $$.  When I go home with a bucket full of fish after fishing old school with a flasher I feel good as to what I had accomplished.
Old skool? Ha I only picked up my vex a few years back and I feel like it’s cheating and have to turn it off. You want old skool at most use a hand auger a jig rod or 2  and your tip ups then walk out.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.