Author Topic: Beaten by the RED  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Whiteshell Bound

• IceShanty Rookie
Beaten by the RED
« on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:14 PM »
Had the last couple days off, so I hit up the mighty :flex: red in hopes of hooking into a greenback...

Yesterday I fished the EOM area from 1:30 to sunset without a bite.... :whistle:

Today was fishing Sugar Island from 9 to 12... 1 small sauger... :P

ice was in the 8 - 12" range, lots of trucks driving around out there... but not me... too much inconsistancy in thickness within a small range...

Is anyone having any luck on the red right now???

grumpymoe

Re: Beaten by the RED
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:24 PM »
sounds like a repeat of 2002....one thing I found that year though, was a late afternoon bite around 5:00 ish to about 6:00....then total shutdown....I put up with that until the end of January before moving to another body of water.....Grump

Offline Whiteshell Bound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Maybe next time I will try and stick it out until 7pm or go early and be setup by 5am... Thanks grump!

Offline luke032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Hey,

I here what you are saying but I did hit a big one already this year. I found the bite was better in the shallow water. I moved from 22 ft to about 14 ft and I seemed  to at least get a few hits. I found the best time was between 8am and 10 am.

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:39 PM »
I found the best time was between 8am and 10 am
...it is...and always will be...I used to keep a log in the shack when I lived and breathed Red River....8-10 am is indeed a very productive time..most greenies caught on pickerel rigs with the very best fresh salties....after that, you could almost take the time and do whatever....except the odd incidental MONSTER on a deadline....a very gentle twitch on the morning line would very often trigger a gentle hit....never anything aggressive....but I have to say, that with the general reports from the onset of Greenback season, I would tend to say that this is one of those off years....doesnt mean we have to give up....the numbers just wont be there with any consistency....tightli nes and good luck everyone....Grump

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:16 PM »
Is there any netting happening at the mouth of the red?? This has contributed to problems in the past.
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:52 AM »
Hey,

I here what you are saying but I did hit a big one already this year. I found the bite was better in the shallow water. I moved from 22 ft to about 14 ft and I seemed  to at least get a few hits. I found the best time was between 8am and 10 am.

I agree with Luke032 on depth.......but the few times I've been out this year.......the most action was between 10am-1pm.
Last year was a personal best for me on the Greenback count but after reviewing my records, those  big uns showed up between mid-Jan until the first week of Feb.
I was catching limits of eaters before that....so in essence.....like Grump says.....this could be a slow year.
With the icebreaker forcing us off the ice by mid-Feb and the recent mild weather I don't know if the blue igloo will be set up at all this year on the Red  :'(
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline fishncamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2006, 04:50 PM »
I left the red after a few hours and only one sauger.....the WAAM'rs with me only had a few saugers too. Tough fishing this year ???

Offline Whiteshell Bound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2006, 06:53 PM »
read on another site they are catching the big ones... but I don't know where. The big ones are out there, we just got to find them...

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Used to love + hate the red  :o      Put a lot of time there + have moved on to other waters People are catching them but putting there time in  8) Maybe move futher north beyond the Red  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.