Author Topic: Spent my Birthday fishing  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Spent my Birthday fishing
« on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I decided that this year for my Birthday I would take a few days and go fishing. My fishing buddied and I left on my Birthday Feb 2nd and headed for Tobin Lake and the flats.

Along the way we encountered a nice heard of elk in a paddock, there was at least 60 of them in there all casually munching on there hay and enjoying the mild winter weather.

We arrived on the flats around 4:00pm and I set up for some action.

The action started at 6:00pm and the first fish was the biggest one of the entire trip.

I landed her with help from my fishing buddies. It was a nice healthy and chunky pike weighing in at 12.71 lbs and 32.5 inches long.

A quick photo with her and back she goes to fight another day. :flex:

Along the way home I stopped at another lake and found a few willing pike. It was mild -1 deg C to -5deg C but very windy, the tarp in the back ground is a temporary shelter we made over the truck to shelter ourselves from the wind. A few pike showed up on camera but none of them were to aggressive and only bumped the lures.

On this lake I found 3 pike. First one a 20 inch male followed by a 24 inch female and one more 20 inch male. I found them really shallow 3-5 feet of water. They were feeding exclusively on freshwater shrimp.

All in all it was a great trip and nice to be out with my fishing buddies for a few days enjoying our mild weather and nice scenery.
 :thumbsup:

WW  

grumpymoe

Re: Spent my Birthday fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:01 PM »
belated Happy Birthday....and a nice fatty northern with its little cousins!!!....nice pics......see you're appropriately winter attired.....Grump  :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2006, 02:27 PM »
 ;D happy belated birthday!  ;D did you bring an Elk home with you?   ;D

Offline gatortamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:00 PM »
happy belated birthday to ya !!

those elk wouldnt have been about 2 miles away from the junction (the pas trail)that you take to get to the flats would they?

did you try codette lake at all?
if they are not hittin at the flats usually they are hammerin at codette

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2006, 04:09 PM »
That's what I like to see - a good story and fish too!  Congrats and happy birthday.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:46 PM »
Thanks Grump, HOS, gatortamer and Skiff. :woot:

Grump they were nice pike and great eating, I shared them with my buddies but still had a good taste tonight. If you are referring to my Iceshanty toque as proper attire you bet, I consider that standard ice fishing gear. ;)

LOL, nope HOS, I could not bring the elk home, I would have been way over limit.:callcops:

gatortamer, those would be the same herd of elk. You must be familiar with that area. 8)
I did not try Codette Lake this time, maybe next time. Where would you look for pike on Codette?

Thanks Skiff. ;D

WW  

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.