Author Topic: Underwater Camera info  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
Underwater Camera info
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:26 PM »
Hey guys, I am thinking of buying an underwater camera, do you guys have any pointers or know of the best models to buy? I heard the fishing hole in Winnipeg has good deals on them. Any information would be really appreciated. Thanks
  Happy Fishing ;D ;D

Duramax

Re: Underwater Camera info
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:40 PM »
Spend your money on a fishing tool as opposed to a toy, what I am saying is buy a flasher not a camera. I know of several people who have bought cameras and sold them after realizing they are just toys and cumbersome to carry around. If you have an unlimited budget buy both, but if you are like the rest of us and can only buy one or the other, go with a flasher. Some guys beside us the other day had a camera , they never caught a thing but were sure frustrated looking at them. I can do without that kind of aggravation...

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:47 PM »
i have owned both an aqua view and a vexilar for a couple of seasons now and wouldn't ever sell one or the other both are invaluable tools. wouldn't leave home without either of them. the aqua view scout has become a popular model in the last few months, and is resonable priced in a few places around 300 bucks.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Duramax

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:55 PM »
MP, if you could choose just one which would it be?

Rock Bottom

« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Im with Duramax on this one ive owned a camera and found no use for it, however fishing with trophy hunter and perch pounder I got to see how a flasher would work and I think it is the way to go. The only problem is they are twice the money.. :-\ I mean if you want to watch fish then the camera is good but if you want to catch fish then flasher is the way to go...

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 04:25 PM »
    Thanx for the advice guys, ;D I think i would like the camera best because then you would see if anything is actually down there instead of wasting your time thinking they are there, I know a vexlair also shows you if there is activity but i would like to know what species, and how aggresive they are, etc. I think for me the camera is a cheeper and better buy, but everyone is different. If i could afford a a vexlair i would certainly buy one but in my budget i don't have room for something that expensive. :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  Happy Fishing

Offline rainbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:57 PM »
I started using a flasher in 1992 the first one I used was an old Lowrance unit ,then a few years later upgraded to a vexler ,I wouldn't go on the ice without this fishing tool. IF you fish panfish {crappie perch } walleye or lake trout ,a flasher will increase your odds at being more productive on the ice  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:02 PM »
Well I have an aqua-view and I only used it once this year. I recommend a flasher. Heck my aqua-view may be sold for the right price. Spare change can go towards a flasher. :o :o
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:04 PM »
The biggest drawbacks to cameras are water clarity and current.  You need some decent clarity (which we generally have in the winter) to be able to use them.  But don't even bother trying to use one on the Red.  That is where a flasher / finder will shine.

I have a Zercom flasher and an Aqua-Vu Scout.  I've had some issues with each of them.  However, both have at times helped me to catch fish.  With kids along, the camera is one more thing to amuse them.

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:28 PM »
Great info guys....thanks :)

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2005, 11:02 PM »
 we have excellent water clarity in many of our lakes, and for perch, trout and whitefish i would never leave home without my camera. and honestly if a had to sell one which i probably never would it would be the fl 18, but hopefully i'll never have to  sell that as its an awesome tool as well
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.