Author Topic: Perch out There!!!  (Read 4707 times)

grumpymoe

Perch out There!!!
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:24 PM »
got the itch this morning after stinking up the Dauphin derby....it was either eyes further out from yesterdays outing.....or perch at the delta diversion....perch won.. ;D....Trophyhunter and his father would be on the watch for my walking out....heck i arrive and look...hmmmm....maybe its those guys....(about a 2 mile walk).......nope....walk past the pressure ridge and commercial tulibee piles....still cant see anyone....walk some more....finally i can see something on the horizon....feels like maybe lynch's point...(joking)....see a sled start up.....its TH...offers the ride to their spot......they're not doing well....they graciously open a new hole for me......every drop...a bite....they decide to go gunning for the grand slam of all perch....i decline their generous offer to tag along.....TH will come back when they find the mother lode....I fish....continuous bites on EVERY drop....the longest i went without a hit......was likely no more than 2 minutes.....TWICE in 5 hours...man....beautif ul fish....kept 58 slabbos and 9 tulibee!!!!...released about a dozen smaller ones......must of used up about 15 dozen small chubs...but what an awesome day......Grump ;D ;D                                                                                        from here........                                                                                                                                                                                                      to there!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                from this.....                                                                                                                                                                                                                  to this.... ;D ;D                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            it doesn't get any better.... :D

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats life on the Hardwater!!!
Re: Perch out There!!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Great job buddy!!! It does get better. When you start eating them. That is when it gets better. Nice walk eh. ;) ;) Little reel and I know what that is like. Well there you go buddy. Now that was worth the trip!!!
Enjoy life now!!!! Get on the Hardwater before it melts away!!!

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:40 PM »
Grump we covered A LOT of ice with 0!!! success until we came across My step-dads buddies Wasn't looking to good for a while then we got into some and I came back for you didn't realize we were even gone that long. I really feel bad buddy should have come with us although sounds like you had it steady at least we spent most of the day riding on the sled :-\ Got in to a thick school for a little while and salvaged the day though had to work for em today!! I posted the story on another thread.Nice pics buddy!!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:48 PM »
no problem at all TH....if the weather had been bad, i might have wished for a quick return, but i was having a hoot with the bite....i fed alot of perch today....(fattening them up for you!! ;D ;D).....but the spot you guys started was more than enough for me......i was honestly amazed at the quality of fish that i pulled up....thanks for the lift too!!!...i suprised myself with the walk back...took about 45 minutes with one stop to talk to a couple of anglers about 3/4 mile out....they were SKUNKED....Not one perch or burbot....finished up filleting the perch about 1/2 hour ago...Yummmmmmmmmm.... thanks again....now i have to put some butter on my face.....just about permanently browned from todays bake.....Grump :woot:

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Yeah Grump you were looking like a californian with the dark TAN!! My Poor face is beyond tanned it"s red lobster time  ;D :-X Hurts to smile  :o 58 that's pretty good I talked to some others on the way back and slow was the word of the day for most glad we did good!! 8)

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:10 AM »
I thought that was you Grump! We introduced each other on the ice. My real name is Bert. Let me tell ya how we did!  ;D The first spot on the ice (between the pressure ridge and Trophy Hunter was not very productive a few Perch (nice size though!) and a couple of Tullibe. My buddy went for a ride out to the east where everyone seemed to be hanging out. He returned with good news. The bite was on over there!  :thumbsup: Well, we moved and he was right! Plenty of nice Perch, Tullibe's, Nessie's (6 of them largest was 6 lbs.!) and a 26" 7 lbs. WALLEYE!!!!!  :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: We're headed there again on Friday!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   oh yeah, this time I'm taking the Sun screen!....ouch! ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:58 AM »
WTG HOS on the big walleye please tell me she is still swimming to spawn right away :)

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:07 AM »
Sorry Trophy Hunter. She's in my parents freezer. :'(

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:19 AM »
 :pinch: :sick:  :'(

grumpymoe

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2005, 11:25 AM »
thats allright HOS....everyone is allowed one fish over 22 inches in their daily limit....Grump ;)

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2005, 12:14 PM »
thats allright HOS....everyone is allowed one fish over 22 inches in their daily limit....Grump ;)
Yeah but it's too bad that fish will never get to reach MA size or spawn again which it would have done shortly That lake needs all the spawning walleyes it can keep.It is legal................. ...but does that make it a good decision for the future of the fishery it's bad enough how many large walleyes are caught in the nets out there at least the LUCKY angler had a choice to release it :-\Hos I'm not trying to give you a hard time I get riled up anytime I see or hear of people keeping a big walleye we have to think about the future I would like to see my 2 year old catch a beauty such as the one you got congratulations.

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Trophy Hunter.... I understand your view point. The way I look at it is this...there are hundreds if not thousands of these large Walleye's caught by commercial fishers every year in Lake Manitoba. Yes we have to do our part to conserve our resources. I do that by buying my fishing license following the rules and being a responsible sportsman. I do not keep all the fish I catch, I do not keep full limits all the time I go fishing. What I despise is people who deliberately toss out fish because they think it's a nuisance fish IE Tullibee's and Burbot's. This past Sunday at Delta my buddy and I checked some spots where people had left and found piles of live Tulibee and a one live Burbot. That is reason for concern, NOT my one Walleye. I too have a young daughter that I want take out with me fishing and I also hope that the fishing will be just as good when she's older as it has been this past icefighing season...I believe if we ALL follow the rules set out for Manitoba the fishing will continue to improve. It's the people that don't follow the rules that scare me...

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 03:00 PM »
well said HOS...over the past years, I despised getting a burbot on my line....not anymore...once I got over the ugliness in my eyes....I would never throw another back....in the not too distant future, you will likely see the burbot protected in much the same way our channel cats are....it wasnt that long ago, when anglers would toss them on shore to rot....you just dont see that anymore... protection of our resource takes education...Grump

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 09:25 PM »
HOS you have made some really good points. At first I thought maybe the walleye should of been released but then I look at it if I had caught it and then I question whether I would of released her. Keeping her is no worse then I keeping many good eating perch. It's a tough decison. :-\ :-\

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:26 PM »
HOS I didn't say that I despise you for keeping that nice eye and I don't.From your posts and all I would have no reason to not think you are a good guy :) I would have released it but that's just me you did absoluty nothing illegal.I don't understand why people throw piles of tullibees and burbot  to rot at one spot alone we counted 9 burbot and at least 50 tullibee :blink: :cookoo:What a waste at least you are not wasting that fish you should be proud of that catch betcha it looked like a football ;D you must have been pretty pumped :o when you saw it was a walleye I know I was on friday when I caught a 15"er!! :tipup:

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2005, 06:36 AM »
Gee wiz, I started this SAME debate last year when my buddy kept a large walleye from the RED ........ does anyone remember that ? ::)

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2005, 07:06 AM »
Trophy Hunter, sorry if you miss understood me. I don't despise you. The people I don't like are the ones that waste fish. Yeah that Walleye was a football! ;D I even lipped it when I pulled it out of the hole! OUCH! :cookoo: I couldn't get my finger under the gill plate.  :(  I took this one home any more I catch that size go back into the hole.  :thumbsup:  I'm not a big fish eater. I adore fishing though. I always bring fish home not for me but for my parents. ;D I'm at the top in their will!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:53 AM »
HOS that's awesome that you give your parents fish 8) I like to give my grandpa and my gf's grandparents perch they absolutly love it and can't get out anymore which sucks.It's funny afterwards the not so bright things we hardcores do to land fish I shoved my gloved hand down the hole after a little 15" walleye to pin it against the side of the hole then shoved my other gloved hand in to pull it up :o BRRRRRRRRRRR ;D But holy crap you lipped the baby :o ouch  ;D Hopefully there are no hard feelings HOS I wouldn't want that as Team IceShanty (Manitoba) sticks together!!! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: 8) 8) 8)

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:43 AM »
Trophy Hunter when you get to know me and you will. I'm easy going and a jokester. No hard feelings here!  ;D  ;D  Damn I'm even broke my Perch rod this weekend playing a joke on my buddy!  >:( :'( :'(  Looks like I'll be heading to the local Canadian tire looking for a new one!  ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:47 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: That's funny I like to joke around too was just having a bad day yesterday not because of you I'll give my head a shake right now ;D I sure hope I can make it out there at least once maybe twice before the end of the month!! Lets hear more about this joke ;D ;D ;D

Offline HOS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:54 AM »
It was just me being silly! ::)  ::) He was sitting  4 feet from me and I did one of those dunk the rod in the hole thing with a big "WHOA!"..... ;D ....yup! you might of guessed it! I missed the hole!!   :%$#!: :%$#!: more like  :cookoo: :cookoo: It was funny though!...a while after  ;D ;D....We're headed out there Friday morning. Straight up north from the spillway. If you go stop by and see us my name is Bert.  ;D

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2005, 10:06 AM »
 ;D Too bad you missed the hole that one never gets old though ;D unfortunatly I have to work straight through the weekend :'( get monday tues wed off hoping to get out on those days. Good luck though let us know how the bite is!! 8) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Hey TH, as you probably know, I'm heading out for BP walleyes WED & THURS this week then I too work the weekend.
I'm also off Mon & Tues   :)
If the walleyes are still hitting hard you'll have to join me here.....IF NOT.....I can always head there for some more Delta fun  ;D
Let me know  :tipup:

Offline big walleye

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2005, 09:24 PM »
HOS another angler that likes t ojoke around. ;D ;D ;D I love doing that. Last week while little reel was preoccupied   I unhooked his jig on his line. Well when I started pulling the perch in I gave him a holler to hurry up. So there he goes to drop his line with no lure on it. The look on his face was priceless. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.