Author Topic: Safe to Go Anywhere on LW with 4x4?  (Read 975 times)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Safe to Go Anywhere on LW with 4x4?
« on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:17 PM »
I'm trying to decide whether to run and gun with the truck or the sled this weekend.  I'm wondering if its safe both in terms of ice thickness and the jumbled ice out there.  I figured it would be easier to go anywhere with the sled, but more comfy in the truck.   ;D  

BTW, going to be on the SE side.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Safe to Go Anywhere on LW with 4x4?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:35 AM »
How did you do on the lake?

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2010, 08:53 AM »
How did you do on the lake?

Not great

Offline Live2fish5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:30 PM »
Its safe everywhere from what I've seen. Lots of ice. I'de only take the sled if you want to reach a more remote location on the lake

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:33 PM »
I have been out with my truck and had no trouble anywhere. My son in law and a couple of his buddies came out with thier sleds and had a rough time unless you have spikes in you track. Lots of clean ice with little snow so every time they hit the clean ice it was an adventure. Maybe with a little more snow on the lake it will be better with the sleds.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Okay, thanks guys.  I'm not going anywhere "remote" so thats not a problem, just going 5 to 10 miles off shore and was worried the ice wasn't thick enough.  Some of my favorite spots from last year are a jumble of broken/jutting ice - these would be easier to pick through with the sled or a quad than a truck.

The other thing I was concerned with is pressure cracks.  Any concern with crossing these in terms of punching through?

Thanks!

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:58 PM »
You can get anywhere you want with a truck right now. There is a litte bit of ice sticking up here and there but no problem navigating around them. Havent seen any pressure ridges out there yet but I have only been on the chalet side. I am going to try balsam this weekend. Ice is around 20 inches thick. Gonna have to pull the extension out soon.

Offline hoghammer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I forgot to mention that on Monday I saw a car and a mini van on the ice at chalet. They were a mile out or so.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 02:01 PM »
Yup - I'm at Balsam as well, but I'm going to do some crusing if things are slow.  At the Balsam dock there is abit of a mine field of jutted ice, but not too bad.  There is a pressure ridge to the NW and its a little closer in than last year.  Huge minefield of jutted ice around it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.