Author Topic: Lake Dauphin Conditions  (Read 1143 times)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Dauphin Conditions
« on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Are people able to get on Lake Dauphin with trucks still or is there too much snow?  I'm thinking of the Valley and Turtle.

Offline redzone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Dauphin Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Was out with a sled by Hudson Bay Point SLUSH SLUSH and more SLUSH would not advising taking a vehicle out there.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:31 PM »
Thanks - talked to a buddy of mine and its snowmobile only.

Offline stiff rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Has anyone been out to L. Dauphin lately?  What mouth can you drive on?  Turtle R, Vermillion R, Valley, Stony Point? 

I have a 4x4 and a quad...no snow machine though.  Any info would be appreciated.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:32 PM »
I haven't headed out yet but I was told no trucks.  Not sure if you could make it with a quad, but even if you do get stuck, alot easier to get out than a truck  ;)

I'm going with the sled tomorrow to check the action out.

Offline WALLYWHACKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Work is for days I don't fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:15 PM »
You can 4x4 out to the Mouth of The ochre River no Problem.Was out today, caught and realeased a few Bigger Eyes. Friend went to Valley and its Snowmachine or Quad only. Fishings good there.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:43 PM »
You can 4x4 out to the Mouth of The ochre River no Problem.Was out today, caught and realeased a few Bigger Eyes. Friend went to Valley and its Snowmachine or Quad only. Fishings good there.

Thanks Don - I should have clarified.  I knew the Valley is skidoo/quad only and I believe the Turtle and Vermillion are as well.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:38 PM »
Went to the valley today.  There were two guys on the ice with trucks, but just driving to the shacks.  Snow is pretty deep in places.  Getting on the ice with a truck is the hard part - soft and slushy in places.

Action wasn't bad, but it wasn't fantastic either.  Got a few wallies in a couple hours of fishing, but all too big.  If it wasn't for the wind, it would have been a great day at -1C.

Offline stiff rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:25 PM »
....has anyone heard if more trucks are driving out onto the mouths of the rivers yet?  i.e. Valley, Turtle, or even Stoney Point?  I might make a trip up there this week if I can get out with my 4x4.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:35 AM »
Conditions would not have gotten better since I went out.  I was talking to a guy on New Years eve and he agreed it would be very iffy taking a truck.  If you didn't get stuck, you might punch through.  There are places east of the Valley R. that only have 4" of ice!  The high water levels/high river flow combined with a substantial snow cover means that there will be dangerous areas near the river mouths.

The two trucks I did see there were only going to the shacks on the west side.  If you are making the trip to dauphin, take a quad or skidoo.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.