Author Topic: Where to Start - New to Eastman  (Read 1295 times)

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to Start - New to Eastman
« on: Mar 13, 2009, 10:24 AM »
Fellow Fisherman and Fisherwomen,

I'm new to the eastman region.  I've spent most of my fishing time in Western Manitoba chasing walleyes on Lake Dauphin and LOTP and trout in the ducks.  I'm looking for a few places to start for walleye and perch for ice fishing.  We have a family cabin on the east side of Lake Winnipeg near Grand Beach, so I wanted to start looking for places close to there.  Not sure if there are any good winter spots on the east side of Lake Winnipeg (Traverse Bay?) or in the area (Lac du Bonnet?).  I have two young ones that love to fish, so I'm looking for spots that are accessable by 4x4. 

I'm also looking for ideas for summer walleye fishing with the kids.  I don't have a boat (yet), so the big lake is out of the question.  I was looking for some good spots for for shoreline lake or river fishing.  I'm really excited to try spots on the Winnipeg River.  Lots of places like this on LOTP.

I'm not limited to the east side of Lake Winnipeg (heard alot about Lake Manitoba), but would like to find spots near the cabin.

Keep your tip up!  ;)

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Where to Start - New to Eastman
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Hello whitefish,

I too have a cabin in that area and I think the fishery there is far overlooked (summer on LW).  Being where you are I would definitely head into the whiteshell up through number 12 I think, along the river to Nutimik lake for ice fishing or further up to Big White, lac du bonnet has some good ice fishing too and all are accessible either by 4x4 or a very short walk.

As for summer, been fishing Lake Winnipeg in the summer all my life (boat and shore), outside of the couple weekends when we head up the Winnipeg river or into NWO.  As for shore fishing, anywhere along the red near Selkirk is a great pace to take the kids.  Also Balsam Bay on LW about 5kms out from Grand Marais on the wharf is great but get there early cause ever since they put up the dang breakwater in the 80's its hard to get a good spot, if you don't mind getting a little wet walk out to the breakwater in the summer and fish from there, no space limitations. 

If fishing on LW in the summer you need to be patient with the weather, wait for a good day (i.e light winds) but I swear my life on this, in good weather (calm mostly, rain is no biggy) I have never left a day where I did not catch less than 20 fish in a day and as many as +100 of all species.  And MA like mad, so far in my life at Balsam I have pulled out multi MA in drum, perch, white bass, sucker, carp, channel cat, bullhead, sauger and rock bass.  I've also caught jack, walleye, goldeye and burbot.  When out on LW in the summer keep it simple, pickerel rig with shiners, preferably live but salties will do just fine.

Maybe this spring/summer I can show you a few places.  Getting and keeping kids hooked on fishing is great.  After all, they are the future stewards of the resource.  Remind me and when I get to the PC (im on a laptop) I'll post pictures from Balsam over the years.

Svengalli   

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:38 PM »
Heard some guys have been doing pretty good (pickerel & perch there) at Grand Marais which is REAL close for you. Just look for the shacks, they are easy to find. Also, Balsam Bay, which is just a bit south has it's days too.....or so I've heard.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 02:21 PM »
Thanks guys.

I've actually fished Balsam Bay quite abit for the past 10 years.  I've never found the fishing to be all that great unless you want to catch freshwater drum.  Most people there us pickeral rigs and I'm more of a active fisherman - even if it means just jigging.  I've caught a grand total of 1 walleye there, although I've heard fishing in May and Sept there is much better for wallies.  I was also told the fishing was much better before the breakwater and marina was put in.

I've also tried Beaconia, the Blind Channel and Stoney Point (Between Beaconia and Patricia Beaches) with limited success.  It must be a timing thing.  I can point to rock points on lake Dauphin where you will catch walleye after walleye (best so far is 4 in 15 minutes) with just a jig and a twister tail, but only in the spring.

I was told to try off of the beach near Grand Marais one summer and it was great.  I should go have a look one weekend and try some hardwater fishing out there before the season closes.  Can you drive out there or is it walking distance?

I played on Gull Lake on day with a little 12 foot and a trolling motor and caught pike after pike.  Pretty cramped with two kids through.

Thanks for the offer Svengalli, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Have you ever tried Balsam icefishing???? Know some who have done VERY good there; even the commercial guys have had nets near there all winter(yes, catching pickerel....talked to them & watched them).
Grand Marais is quite a ways to walk; the bank is way too steep to walk on where the shacks are. Sleds & quads are going on about 1/2 mile South of the shacks. Couldn't find anywhere there where vehicles could drive on, due to the steep banks. If you take the road along the shore at Grand Marais you'll have no problem seeing where the shacks are.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Thanks fshmanmb,

I've always thought about trying Balsam Bay icefishing - I know a few of the commercial fisherman as well and they laugh at my lack of angling ability.  I keep saying it would be alot easier if I was using a square hook   :laugh:.  I guess I'll give it a whirl.  What do people use - live minnow?  What color jig?

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Mostly salties, not live. And throw whatever you have at them until you find out what they want. A flasher really helps to do this, hope you have one. I couldn't leave home without mine now. However, I do once in a while fish without my flasher to see if different techniques, presentations work; without the help of the flasher.

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Heard Gull Lake isnt very good anymore, rumor has it the airation system, probably spelled that wrong, quit last winter and when they pulled it up there was thousands of fish in the main pipe, they swam up it for some reason, ive never fished there but have friends that have cabins there and thats what the rumor is, try around lac du bonnet, even lee river if you can find some public land,  theres a good spot by the bridge at lee river, but be careful with kids, not sure how young yours are...but its a bit of a current there and i wouldn't want to see an accident happen, thats in the summer im talking about stay away from there in winter open water

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2009, 09:15 AM »
By flasher, do you mean a type of fish finder or a lure.  I've heard of something called a Willow Leaf used (just a 6" to 12" line with diamond flashers on it) used for trout in the ducks.  Otherwise, I've never heard of them.  Let me know where I can find out more about them.

Thanks for the info on Lac du Bonnet and the Lee River.  I've seen a few posts on Lac du Bonnet recently - most of the discussion has been around pike.  Is it a productive walleye lake?

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Lac du Bonnet and Lee River both have plenty of walleye and jack and smallmouth bass as well

Offline fshmanmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Whitefish, flasher is a sonar unit. You've never heard of one????? Google Vexilar. Marcum & Hummingbird. Spend some time doing some research. One you use one you'll NEVER fish without one again.

Offline whitefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Thanks "fshmanmb".  No, I've heard of them
By flasher, do you mean a type of fish finder
, just never used one.  I guess I'll have to look into.  Any good websites to start with?

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Thanks "fshmanmb".  No, I've heard of them , just never used one.  I guess I'll have to look into.  Any good websites to start with?
        Google Vexilar. Marcum & Hummingbird or use the search feature here to find numerous reports on the 3 main flasher types being used by the majority.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2009, 06:02 PM »
A flasher is only a toy, not really needed to fish. Yes sometimes it may help but you will do just fine without one. Sometimes the person with out the electronics does a hell of alot better than the guy trying to get that bait right in front of the fish! A little knowledge and some practice and you will do just fine. I would start fishing where everyone else is then start  to venture off on your own.

Happy fishing
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.